For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
jenisabc's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 6th, 2014 3:30 AM

I need step by step instructions please to change the password for wifi

Hello, I'm a real newby at this stuff, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to make the wifi password more user friendly than the obscure network key?  I used to be able to change it easily, but had a new router installed and now I can't figure it out.  I was able to get to the Network ID to change it, but can't figure out where to change the password to something I can actually remember.  Help!  Thank you!  Jeni.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Here are the instructions for a 3800/3801 RG.  I'm not sure which one you have since you didn't post that.

If you need to locate your Wi-Fi settings and have changed the default Wi-Fi settings previously:

1. Open a Web browser and enter http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar.
  2. When the Gateway's Graphical User Interface screen appears, scroll down to the Top Networking Features section and select the Wireless link. Wireless Link is the first option
  3. Under the Network section, the Wi-Fi network name can be found in the Network Name field. You may edit the network name (SSID) field to a custom credential for added network security or personal preference. Network Name SSID field
  4. Under the Security section, the Wi-Fi password can be found in the Use custom Wireless Network Key field. If the key is not visible, you can re-enter a new wireless network key and select Save at the bottom of the page. use custom Wireless Network Key is the second radio button

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@jenisabc wrote:

Hello, I'm a real newby at this stuff, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to make the wifi password more user friendly than the obscure network key?  I used to be able to change it easily, but had a new router installed and now I can't figure it out.  I was able to get to the Network ID to change it, but can't figure out where to change the password to something I can actually remember.  Help!  Thank you!  Jeni.

It is going to depend upon which exact router you have, but it should be on the same screen as the SSID (what you called the Network ID).  The :password" may be called something like "Network Key" or "Pre-Shared Key", or even "Passphrase"  It probably won't be hidden which might make it less obvious to you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Can you please provide me step by step information on how to cahnge my wifi pasword for a router by Net Gear, called Fast access DSL, Extreme 6

Thank you

Carolyn

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.