Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 9, 2013
10:47:44 AM
View profile
I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.
Edited by DCRamsey on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:56:10 AM

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease. I had this same problem last night.

I went to AT&T's website to troubleshoot the problem. While there, I automatically restarted the U-verse Gateway device several times but to no avail. I made one more try at troubleshooting the problem today but I'm still having the same problem.  Please help me resolve this issue. 

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease. I had this same problem last night.

I went to AT&T's website to troubleshoot the problem. While there, I automatically restarted the U-verse Gateway device several times but to no avail. I made one more try at troubleshooting the problem today but I'm still having the same problem.  Please help me resolve this issue. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 9, 2013 1:33:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:44:12 PM

Okay, I finally found the manual.  Here's how you do it:

SETTING THE DIALING MODE

This adjustment allows you to select tone (touch-tone) or pulse (rotary) dialing.

1. Press the options button until SET ^ (up) or v (down) appears

2. Press the review up button until T/P DIAL MODE appears in the display.

3. Press the options button to show the current dial mode. The default is set to tone.

4. To change the dialing mode, press review up or down. The display will alternate

between the two dialing modes.

5. Press the options button to store the dialing mode and return to the T/P DIAL

MODE display.

Exiting set up mode:

To immediately exit the setup mode after your changes have been made, select the

EXIT SETUP menu and press the options button.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 11:05:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

When you dial to you hear touch tones when you press each number?  If you hear dail pulses (like a rotory dial phone) it won't work.  Some phones have a switch that changes the mode for the dial pad from tone to pulse.  Make sure your on tone.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

When you dial to you hear touch tones when you press each number?  If you hear dail pulses (like a rotory dial phone) it won't work.  Some phones have a switch that changes the mode for the dial pad from tone to pulse.  Make sure your on tone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

2 of 15 (8,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 11:42:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by DCRamsey on Aug 9, 2013 at 11:44:16 AM

No, I'm getting dial pulses, and this is a touch tone phone. I see only one button in the phone cradle and it can be pointed to a big bell, a small bell or an X.

On the U-verse device, these lights are on: POWER, ETHERNET, PHONE 1, BROADBAND, & SERVICE. There is no green light on near: WIRELESS, PHONE 2, & USB.

I can understand why there is no light on near WIRELESS, that's because the phone I'm using is not wireless. But what about PHONE 2, & USB?

No, I'm getting dial pulses, and this is a touch tone phone. I see only one button in the phone cradle and it can be pointed to a big bell, a small bell or an X.

On the U-verse device, these lights are on: POWER, ETHERNET, PHONE 1, BROADBAND, & SERVICE. There is no green light on near: WIRELESS, PHONE 2, & USB.

I can understand why there is no light on near WIRELESS, that's because the phone I'm using is not wireless. But what about PHONE 2, & USB?

Re: I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (8,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 11:46:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DCRamsey - What BeeBeeSA says is the most likely problem. But, you do not say if it ever worked. If it used to work & the phone is the same, it is very easy to have inadvertently moved that pulse/tone button. If your service is new - you need a tone phone - no rotary dial & no pulse settings. Another possibility is if you have an att phone. Check out these links -
http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Vo...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Vo...
DCRamsey - What BeeBeeSA says is the most likely problem. But, you do not say if it ever worked. If it used to work & the phone is the same, it is very easy to have inadvertently moved that pulse/tone button. If your service is new - you need a tone phone - no rotary dial & no pulse settings. Another possibility is if you have an att phone. Check out these links -
http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Voice/m-p/3271131#M4133

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Incompatible-quot-AT-amp-T-quot-phone-with-Uverse-Voice/m-p/3275141#M4169

4 of 15 (8,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 11:48:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DCRamsey- What is make/model of phone??
DCRamsey- What is make/model of phone??

5 of 15 (8,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 11:57:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

It's a General Electric phone. It's from Atlinks USA, Inc. The model number is: 29195GE1-A

It's a General Electric phone. It's from Atlinks USA, Inc. The model number is: 29195GE1-A

6 of 15 (8,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 12:17:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DCRamsey Searching the web - a table indicates that tone/pulse is an option for your phone, but I cannot find a manual that tells how to set it. Do you have a manual somewhere? Is there a menu button? If you do not see a slide switch it must use regular dial buttons for setting options. I will look again for a users manual.
DCRamsey Searching the web - a table indicates that tone/pulse is an option for your phone, but I cannot find a manual that tells how to set it. Do you have a manual somewhere? Is there a menu button? If you do not see a slide switch it must use regular dial buttons for setting options. I will look again for a users manual.

7 of 15 (8,511 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 12:51:00 PM
(1)
ACE - Expert
DCRamsey - I did not yet find a manual, but I did find a work around that you can try. It sounds like it would apply to all phones. It is a feature for people who have pulse service & they want to enter tone to the called number. It says if you press the asterisk button it will temporarily convert the phone to tone. When you hangup it goes back to pulse. You may need to pull the plug from the jack (so that the asterisk push does not go to U-verse) hit the asterisk - replace plug - dial the number. Please try this at least once to verify that the pulse setting is the problem.

I suppose the problem could be that the tone generator has gone off frequency.

The doc that described the asterisk feature said the pulse/tone setting was a slide switch. You have said you do not have one. Can you look under a face plate or battery cover - anything that you can open??
DCRamsey - I did not yet find a manual, but I did find a work around that you can try. It sounds like it would apply to all phones. It is a feature for people who have pulse service & they want to enter tone to the called number. It says if you press the asterisk button it will temporarily convert the phone to tone. When you hangup it goes back to pulse. You may need to pull the plug from the jack (so that the asterisk push does not go to U-verse) hit the asterisk - replace plug - dial the number. Please try this at least once to verify that the pulse setting is the problem.

I suppose the problem could be that the tone generator has gone off frequency.

The doc that described the asterisk feature said the pulse/tone setting was a slide switch. You have said you do not have one. Can you look under a face plate or battery cover - anything that you can open??

8 of 15 (8,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 9, 2013 1:33:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:44:12 PM

SETTING THE DIALING MODE

This adjustment allows you to select tone (touch-tone) or pulse (rotary) dialing.

3. Press the options button to show the current dial mode. The default is set to tone.

4. To change the dialing mode, press review up or down. The display will alternate

5. Press the options button to store the dialing mode and return to the T/P DIAL

MODE display.

Exiting set up mode:

To immediately exit the setup mode after your changes have been made, select the

SETTING THE DIALING MODE

MODE display.

Exiting set up mode:

[ Edited ]
9 of 15 (8,476 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 1:37:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Way to go BeeBee!
Way to go BeeBee!

10 of 15 (8,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 3:35:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:45:31 PM

Hey I'm going to tell you that that manual was buried deep in the search engines.  I tried all kind of combinations until I finally got to the GE site via a link.  You can't go right to the GE site and search......it won't come up.  It must be some sort of archived document and the old link worked.

I found the document you posted about which read to use the * key to switch but it had no other info that was useful.

It took me about an hour to find it!!Smiley Mad

Hey I'm going to tell you that that manual was buried deep in the search engines.  I tried all kind of combinations until I finally got to the GE site via a link.  You can't go right to the GE site and search......it won't come up.  It must be some sort of archived document and the old link worked.

I found the document you posted about which read to use the * key to switch but it had no other info that was useful.

It took me about an hour to find it!!Smiley Mad

[ Edited ]
11 of 15 (8,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2016 5:03:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have a dial tone on my bell 500 phone, but it does not go away after I daily a number ,I can not call out, but I can receive calls and it rings, can someone help me
I have a dial tone on my bell 500 phone, but it does not go away after I daily a number ,I can not call out, but I can receive calls and it rings, can someone help me

12 of 15 (3,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2016 5:14:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@Denn25 - Your telephone produces dial pulses that are not recognized by u-verse voice. YO need a phone that uses touch tone. Go for panasonic wireless system & get a plethora of features.

@Denn25 - Your telephone produces dial pulses that are not recognized by u-verse voice. YO need a phone that uses touch tone. Go for panasonic wireless system & get a plethora of features.

13 of 15 (3,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 12:53:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanx, that was the problem 
Thanx, that was the problem 

14 of 15 (3,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2016 12:58:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have this same problem: dial tone but cannot call out. 

I tried the suggested dial tone setting changes repeatedly to no avail. 

My phone is a V-Tech. I even purchcased a new phone thinking the device was the problem. 

Please help!

I have this same problem: dial tone but cannot call out. 

I tried the suggested dial tone setting changes repeatedly to no avail. 

My phone is a V-Tech. I even purchcased a new phone thinking the device was the problem. 

Please help!

15 of 15 (753 Views)