Need help with your equipment?
AWalker23's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 12:03 AM

Hsia45 Upgrade - Speed Problem

Hello,

I just upgraded from the Max Turbo (24 Mbps down) to to the Hsia 45 Mbps Down.  It seems I have been having some speed issues seems to be only over the wireless.  I already know that wireless will always be slower than wired connection.  But my wireless speed is even slower now that it was with the Max Turbo.  I was pulling in between 19 - 22Mbps downstream when connected to wireless. Now I am only getting around 15Mbps downstream.  I tested the speed with the computer hardwired to the modem and got above 45 Mbps downstream anywhere from 45 - 50Mbps.  I have tried tinkering with the wireless settings but am still only getting the slow speed. I have tried changing the channel, frequency, power level, etc.  Nothing has worked.  I have reset the model several times My computer has wireless-N.  Not sure why the wireless is slow.  My connections statistics are posted below.  What could be the problem?

Uv_statistics.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Your lines look really good, so its no surprise your wired speed test comes out good.

I'm not sure what the wireless throughput numbers are supposed to be on the NVG 589, but you may be better off getting your on wireless router and configuring it as either a router behind the NVG (see post 2 in this thread) or, for a simpler set up, connect it as an access point (see post 13 in this thread).  You could get one that has dual-band support and try out the 5 GHz frequency band.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the response JefferMC.

I have done some further tinkering with the gateway and was able to achieve higher speeds over the wireless.  The best I was able to get was 30.25Mbps downstream and 5.6 Mbps upstream.  Could it be that the NVG589 just doesn't have the throughput?   I'm not sure why AT&T would even be offering the Hsia45 service if the equipment that it supplies does not even have the throughput to fully support it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

You seem to have an attitude shared by many that I do not understand.

AT&T provides 45 Mbps to your home.  You have demonstrated that with a wired connection.  This proves that the line and equipment (the RG) supports 45 Mbps HSI.

Your wireless is not running at your full line speed.  That could be due to your client equipment, interoperability issues between your client equipment and the RG. interference in your home, etc., etc.  Many of these features are beyond the control of AT&T.

So... the attitude I don't understand is that if you don't get your full connection speed over WiFi, even though the line speed is demonstrating more than 45 Mbps, then AT&T isn't providing the service they advertise.  IMHO, this is hogwash.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Employee by any chance? Wonder why I am not allowed to use my own equipment (wireless) if I have Uverse and wireless receivers?  I can guarantee you my old Belkin Wireless router I used with my previous DirecTV and Cox internet would work wonders around this piece of you know what I am forced to use by ATT.  And my DVR?  Wow, what an obsolete piece of crap that now I am subscribed is making my wife an I change our TV viewing and recording life style to fit its uselessness!  We can't watch two live streams and record multiple shows we want.

All the person posting is asking for is help--that is called customer service and ATT should be one of the best at supply but they are not.  Telling someone to use a troubleshooter that is obsolete as the equipment they expect us to use is nonsense.

[Please keep it courteous]

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Not saying they don't provide service.  Its provideing a partial service.  *Only being able to obtain the advertised speed while being hardwired into the gateway.*  I'm just wondering why the equipment that is provided can't achieve the advertised speed.   When tested over WIFI computer is setting literally right next to the gateway.

I'm not expecting the WIFI to be able to achieve line speeds.  I know that the line speed will always be faster.  Thats like saying you buy a car that has 500 horsepower, but yet the manufacturer provides components that is on the car (tires or something simple that can be changed easily but would requier considerable cost to change) that is only capable of handling 250 horsepower.  Consumer expect that the stock components are able to handle what is being advertised/what you are paying for.

Lets just be real.  most of the way things are connected in this age are wireless.  Saying that you offer 45Mbps *only over a wired connection vs saying you offer internet capable of 45Mbps is two different things. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@AWalker23 wrote:

Lets just be real.  most of the way things are connected in this age are wireless.  Saying that you offer 45Mbps *only over a wired connection vs saying you offer internet capable of 45Mbps is two different things. 

I respectfully disagree.  That 45 Mbps coming in to your home could be divided between multiple uses, some wired, some wireless, that are up to 45 Mbps in total, but perhaps the maximum shared WiFi experience is somewhat less than that 45 Mbps.

AT&T sells HSI into your home at a rated speed.  They also provide a WiFi Access Point as part of the gateway as a convenience feature.  Two different things.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

For example.  I'm getting around 80Mbps downstream over WIFI at work.  All i'm asking is why can't the equipment provided by AT&T (which I am paying a monthly fee to lease) can't achieve faster speeds so that I can utilize the extra speed (that I have paid extra money for).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Nope.   that 45 was not split between multiple devices.  The full connection was going to the one device doing testing.   (humbly speaking) I have a computer engineering degreee so I know my way around a computer and I know how to properly test.  and I can assure you that the full speed coming from the router was only dedicated to one device (the computer testing the speed).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Also WIFI and access point is not a convience feature.  We pay a montly fee to lease it.  A convenience feature is something they throw in for free.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

The Residential Gateway is required and for which you pay a fee.  The wireless feature is built in.

I wish it were not so, but it is.  Then everyone could purchase a wireless solution that suited them rather than dealing with the one-size-fits-no-one that is the RG.

And I said "could be," not that it necessarily was in your testing.  If you were pulling 15 Mbps down wired, and 30 Mbps wireless, then how is AT&T not providing 45 Mbps HSI?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.