Need help with your equipment?
Gyrobob's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 5:20 PM

How to use "Windows Fax and Scan" w/ U-verse?

How do I set up the desktop PC (using the "Windows Fax and Scan" software in Windows 7) to send and receive faxes when I am using U-verse for TV/phone/internet?

Up until U-verse was installed, the Windows Fax and Scan software worked great by using the modem in the computer hooked up to the standard phone line.  Now there is no phone line going to the computer.

How can I use the computer to send faxes now that I have converted to U-verse for TV/phone/internet?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Gyrobob - Try plugging the phone connection on the computer in to the phone connection on the RG. If that works you want to distribute the dial tone from that phone connection on on the RG to all your phones & the computer modem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I appreciate your help.

I want to send and receive faxes using my computer. I just installed u-verse and have two  u-verse lines and one 2Wire 802 (model 3801 HGV). I am not sure whether there is a missing connection (e.g., from computer to RG).

My equipment is as follows:

U-Verse 2Wire 802 (model 3801 HGV)

HP Pavilions' a1700n w/ built in PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP (56K/3/2009 latest driver installed)

Windows 7 Fax and Scan

Thank you!

All the best,

Ruben

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

rafa1 - You should have two cables connected between the 3801 and the computer - A cat5 cable from one of four network jacks on the 3801 to the network jack on the computer and tel cord with rj-11 connectors between the tel 1&2 on the 3801 to the 56k modem in the computer.

THe fax software uses the tel modem to process fax over line 1. If you want to use line 2, you need a cable that reverses line 1 & 2 on the rel cord.

You probably want more tel connections. Get a two line splitter to split the two lines. then line two will be in primary (first) position to the fax modem. PLug line 1 into the wall to feed the rest of the house. Post if you need more or have more description.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi rafa1,

Just wanted to check in on you and see if you were able to get your Windows Fax to work. The information aviewer should have got it up and running, but let us know if you are having any further issues and what errors you are getting, and we will be glad to help.

-David T

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Gryobob,

Just checking up on your post. If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.