robb0995's profile

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 7:09 AM

How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

There has to be a way to turn these things off!

Tonight I've run into both of the fundamental flaws in this system.  Earlier tonight, I saw an alert pop up and I scrambled for the remote knowing that if I didn't exit it fast I was going to have some upset dogs and got blasted with the way out of proportion alert tone.  I never even got to read the alert, because I was so focused on exiting it quickly.  

Then a few minutes ago, as I was drifting off to sleep with the TV on sleep timer, I got blasted awake by a Flash Flood alert that kept getting louder and louder until I finally founf the remote and made it stop.

Somebody please tell me how to turn these off.  They are utterly pointless and far more trouble than they are worth. 

Thanks

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@OGG wrote:

OK - and the "Community Accepted Solution" was ... what?
I'd like the announcements on my system to be less intrusive as well.
Was the change made Uverse-wide?

Please advise.

He asked for the annoyingly loud alert to be turned off (which is not possible) or muted and he seems genuinely happy that the sound has been reduced to an acceptable level.  If he does not agree that it's a solution, he can mark it as "not the solution," since he was the OP.  If you are having an issue with loudness - I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I should point out that if this forum does not speak for AT&T, then
declaring that the requested solution is "not possible" takes on an air of
authority and finality that misleads many into thinking that they are
getting an official answer.

Obviously, it is possible, as I had no sound on last night's alert, and all
of the supposition about the laws was just that, supposition.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

But thanks for letting me know I can fix the erroneous solution problem!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@robb0995 wrote:
I should point out that if this forum does not speak for AT&T, then
declaring that the requested solution is "not possible" takes on an air of
authority and finality that misleads many into thinking that they are
getting an official answer.

Obviously, it is possible, as I had no sound on last night's alert, and all
of the supposition about the laws was just that, supposition.

This is a good place for info on U-Verse.  I was here and on another non-official site called Uverseusers way before I subscribed, since IPTV is way different than "cable."  This is an official AT&T site but many (but not all) answers are given by volunteer subscribers, like myself.  There are often official responses fromn AT&T - in blue.  Emploiyees (in bold orange) can respond but they are speaking for themselves and not AT&T.  Take care.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I too wish to be able to "opt" out of the Alert Messaging system.

I have no problem with the concept or those who wish to stay informed.

I just don't want to be, and I believe I should have the option.

Scholar

• 

373 Messages

10 years ago

Your belief is wrong. Go to http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/

The first thing it says is that it is required. 😞

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

That's not remotely what the first sentence says. You can't opt out of the presidential address, nor is anyone asking for that. But even so, there's not one word in there that supports your pointless interjection in people asking for AT&T to give us a feature or train us on how to use it. Nobody asked for your opinion on whether or not we're allowed to ask for it.

Sent from my iPhone

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I read those exact words. They don't say anything close to what you think they say.

Sent from my iPhone

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

So your big sticking point is the ability to "opt-out"? 

Are there other broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers that give their customers that option?

IF so, please share that information.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

multiple threads of people complaining about this and no solution.  this is ridiculous.  they are super loud and happen all the time....  yes, i am already aware there'll be thunderstorms tonight.  don't need the constant heart attack reminders.

these can't be mandatory cuz they didn't happen with comcast.  which is way worse in every other respect but at least they didn't have these terrible useless panic alerts.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.