Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 15, 2013
6:05:18 AM
How to access NAS device on private subnet from computer on public subnet

Modem Router:  NVG 510

Network config: Public and Private subnets active

IP config on devices: Public 172.x.x.x;255.255.255.248 / PVT 192.168.x.x;255.255.255.0

All on same wired physical network

Public Computer Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Can't access Seagate NAS on pvt s/n.  It is not visible from my network on Public Computer

Public computer can see Printers and Computers on pvt s/n.

What configuration changes need to be made to allow public computer local access to the Network Attached Storage?

Modem Router:  NVG 510

Network config: Public and Private subnets active

IP config on devices: Public 172.x.x.x;255.255.255.248 / PVT 192.168.x.x;255.255.255.0

All on same wired physical network

Public Computer Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Can't access Seagate NAS on pvt s/n.  It is not visible from my network on Public Computer

Public computer can see Printers and Computers on pvt s/n.

What configuration changes need to be made to allow public computer local access to the Network Attached Storage?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 15, 2013 4:31:41 PM
(0)
Expert
You won't be able to see it in the Network section of Windows Explorer. That is normal for networks without local DNS resolution, since standard Windows peer-to-peer networking uses broadcasts to advertise computers, which don't cross subnets.

However, you can still map a network drive that's on the NAS using \\<IP Address>\<Share name>.

Accepted Solution

How to access NAS device on private subnet from computer on public subnet

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 15, 2013 4:31:41 PM
(0)
Expert
You won't be able to see it in the Network section of Windows Explorer. That is normal for networks without local DNS resolution, since standard Windows peer-to-peer networking uses broadcasts to advertise computers, which don't cross subnets.

However, you can still map a network drive that's on the NAS using \\<IP Address>\<Share name>.

Re: How to access NAS device on private subnet from computer on public subnet

2 of 3 (891 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 11:49:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks, perfect solution.
Thanks, perfect solution.

Re: How to access NAS device on private subnet from computer on public subnet