MrSchmidt's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Sunday, January 12th, 2014 10:08 PM

How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

I don't ever want to view any SD channels ever again. I've had an HD TV for over ten years now...it's time to move on, but I can't. Uverse keeps getting in my way. Here's how:

1. I remove all SD channels from the guide but UVerse keeps adding more channels, including ones that I can't hide. This is a battle I'm losing. No matter what I do, I keep seeing SD channels in my guide. To make matters worse, they are at the top of the guide. 

2. The mobile app doesn't remember the HD setting so it inevitably shows me SD shows. When I'm on top of my game, I remember to hit the Filter button and tap "HD Channels Only" so I'm good. 25% of the time (100% during NFL playoffs), I'm dumb and forget to do that so I record SD channels. 

AT&T, PLEASE give me the option to disable SD everywhere. I don't want it anymore.

Failing that, could you at least have the app remember the setting so I don't have to select it every time?

Am I the only one?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

If I read the original post, he is not saying get rid of SD channels.  He is only saying to have a savable setting for the Guide and the mobile app that tells it to display only HD channels.  Anyone that still wants to see SD just would not select that setting.  The setting needs to be savable so that it does not need to be selected each time you turn on a receiver or open the web app.

I only watch HD myself and everytime I bring up the guide, the first thing I have to do is change to a channel above 1000.  With the remote problem of double presses and delayed presses, it sometimes takes several tries to do this.  I could create favorites, but as I understand, this has to be done on every receiver, you can't just create one favorite list that can be used by all receivers.  I have seven receivers (including the DVR) so this is not pratical.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

jamesteixeira - I feel similarly about being able to access HD. I guess, you & others are hampered by others accessing SD channels on "your " TV. I hardly ever access SD & no one else watches "my" TV, so the guide is almost always in the HD range.

I did come up with a suggestion for moving the guide from the SD range to the HD range. Instead of entering a specific channel enter 999. There is one less button push and 9 seems to be better accepted than some. This will position you at the start of the HD channels, where the broadcast channels are - followed by cable channels.

If you want to watch a channel that is HD and pick up the HD guide from that, then you are stuck entering the full digits. If there are blank channels ahead of it, you may be able to make it work better by entering one of those. U-verse does not fail an invalid channel, it goes to the next highest.

I would really like to see a "favorite channel " button that triggers the STB to select that pre-specified channel. One command as opposed to a remote generating the channel numbers automatically.

You should try Favorites - at least on your main TV. I had avoided it because it does not have one button access. But, I have gotten used to it.

To add a channel to favorites - click enter/zoom, select add to favorites.
To view favorite guide - Menu - 2 down arrow - OK

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This says it's solved but I disagree.  Having to click 5 buttons in order to get to your favorites is not a solution to the problem of wanting to permanently delete the ENTIRE list of SD channels that you don't need.  AT&T this seems like a really simple system update that is possible with a little program tweaking.  If you would like to hire me to add this feature to your Uverse, I would be happy to do it for discounted service. Call me.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

This is basically what DirecTV does.  A channel (SD and HD) are assigned the same channel number...you simply go into settings and select "Hide SD Channels".  It only hides an SD channel if an HD channel exists...otherwise, it keeps the SD channel in the guide.  The thing that is most enjoyable is that both SD and HD have THE SAME CHANNEL NUMBER...none of this "add 1000" or "all HD channels at the bottom of the guide" stuff.

Hopefully, IF the merger happens, AT&T does not screw up this great DTV feature...and actually implements it on their UVerse solution.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

The only issue with hiding all SD channels, if you are recording too many HD you won't be able to watch anything.  I personally don't care if SD channels are showing since I have a 5yo who doesn't care if Paw Patrol is in HD and a wife who doesn't care if RHONY is in HD or SD.

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

What merger?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

What merger?

Not so much a merger as ATT acquiring Direct. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/01/investing/att-directv/

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

interesting!!

Thanks!!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

What merger?

Not so much a merger as ATT acquiring Direct. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/01/investing/att-directv/

Right.  I do think folks, even in the press, get "merger" and "acquisition" mixed up BUT if it happens, there will be some sort of merging of business lines, at some point.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

If we really want to get specific:  Acquisition vs. Merger

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.