Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 21, 2011
7:29:20 AM
View profile
Help with programming a pin hole in the RG
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:31:59 AM

I have a security camera I am trying to set up so I can access it remotely from outside my network.  I have the camera working on the network wirelessly.  The inside wireless static IP is 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, and default gateway is 192.168.1.254.  The preferred DNS is the RG or 192.168.1.254 and the secondary is 255.255.255.255.  I set the HTTP: port in the camera to 30000 and the data port to 30999.  To access inside my network I put 192.168.1.100:30000 and I get the log in page for the camera and all works as designed.

The problem is when I try to set up a pin hole in the user defined area of the firewall.  I'm not sure exactly how to do this.  I have tried port range 30000 to 30000, 30999 to 30999, I tried mapping 30000 to 30999, and 30999 to 30000.  When I type my RG's public IP (76.233.XXX.XXX) followed by :30000 or :30999 in IE all I get is page cannot be displayed.  What am I doing wrong?  Does the RG have to be reset after each change for the firewall settings to take effect?

TIA for any ideas/solutions.....

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I have a security camera I am trying to set up so I can access it remotely from outside my network.  I have the camera working on the network wirelessly.  The inside wireless static IP is 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, and default gateway is 192.168.1.254.  The preferred DNS is the RG or 192.168.1.254 and the secondary is 255.255.255.255.  I set the HTTP: port in the camera to 30000 and the data port to 30999.  To access inside my network I put 192.168.1.100:30000 and I get the log in page for the camera and all works as designed.

The problem is when I try to set up a pin hole in the user defined area of the firewall.  I'm not sure exactly how to do this.  I have tried port range 30000 to 30000, 30999 to 30999, I tried mapping 30000 to 30999, and 30999 to 30000.  When I type my RG's public IP (76.233.XXX.XXX) followed by :30000 or :30999 in IE all I get is page cannot be displayed.  What am I doing wrong?  Does the RG have to be reset after each change for the firewall settings to take effect?

TIA for any ideas/solutions.....

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 21, 2011 9:08:08 AM
(0)
Expert

1.    Open a web browser, browse to the URL of your U-Verse Residential Gateway (usually http://192.168.1.254).
2.    Click the Settings tab at the top.
3.    Click the Firewall label in the second row of tabs.
4.    Click the Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ label in the third row of tabs.
5.    Click on the security camera's name or IP address under section (1).
6.    Click the Allow Individual Applications button under section (2).
7.    Click the Add a New User-Defined Application button.
8.    For the Application Profile Name, type "SecurityCamera".
9.    For the protocol, select TCP.
10.    Type 30000 in both the Port From and To fields.
11.    Leave the Protocol Timeout and Map to Host Port fields blank.  Leave the Application Type pull-down menu set to the default (none selected).
12.    Click the Add To List button.  Your custom port entry will appear in the Definition List below.
13.    Type 30999 in both the Port From and To fields.
14.    Leave the Protocol Timeout and Map to Host Port fields blank.  Leave the Application Type pull-down menu set to the default (none selected).
15.    Click the Add To List button.  Your custom port entry will appear in the Definition List below.
16.    Click the Back button.
17.    Re-select the security camera's name or IP address under section (1).
18.    Click the Allow Individual Applications button under section (2).
19.    Click SecurityCamera in the Application list.
20.    Click the Add button.  The SecurityCamera custom application will now be listed in the Hosted Applications list.
21.    Click the Save button at the bottom.
22.    You are finished with the configuration.  

Accepted Solution

Help with programming a pin hole in the RG

[ Edited ]
15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 21, 2011 9:08:08 AM
(0)
Expert

1.    Open a web browser, browse to the URL of your U-Verse Residential Gateway (usually http://192.168.1.254).
11.    Leave the Protocol Timeout and Map to Host Port fields blank.  Leave the Application Type pull-down menu set to the default (none selected).
12.    Click the Add To List button.  Your custom port entry will appear in the Definition List below.
14.    Leave the Protocol Timeout and Map to Host Port fields blank.  Leave the Application Type pull-down menu set to the default (none selected).
15.    Click the Add To List button.  Your custom port entry will appear in the Definition List below.
20.    Click the Add button.  The SecurityCamera custom application will now be listed in the Hosted Applications list.

Re: Help with programming a pin hole in the RG

2 of 16 (9,757 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 9:35:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks a bunch SJ!!  I did as you instructed and here is what I see now....

Current Settings: Custom

Device Allowed Applications Application Type Protocol Port Number(s) Public IP
Static IP:100.168.1.100SecurityCamera-TCP30000
76.233.XX.XX
   TCP30999
76.233.XX.XX

But I still can't get to the camera using 76.233.XX.XX:30000 or :30999.  I did reset the RG but no go.  I'm stumped.  The camera being wireless and static IP should make no difference correct?

Thanks a bunch SJ!!  I did as you instructed and here is what I see now....

Current Settings: Custom

Device Allowed Applications Application Type Protocol Port Number(s) Public IP
76.233.XX.XX
   TCP30999
76.233.XX.XX

But I still can't get to the camera using 76.233.XX.XX:30000 or :30999.  I did reset the RG but no go.  I'm stumped.  The camera being wireless and static IP should make no difference correct?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (9,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 9:38:43 AM
(0)
Expert

What brand and model of security camera is this?  It may use additional ports, we'll have to try to look it up.

What brand and model of security camera is this?  It may use additional ports, we'll have to try to look it up.

4 of 16 (9,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 9:40:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's a POL-480IPW.  Here is a link  https://www.polarisusa.com/product/1017/POL-480IPW.html

It's a POL-480IPW.  Here is a link  https://www.polarisusa.com/product/1017/POL-480IPW.html

5 of 16 (9,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 10:30:38 AM
(0)
Guru

Are you trying to access the camera's public IP from within your LAN? If so, that would require loopback, and I don't think the 2Wire is capable of that, unless there's a firmware upgrade I'm not aware of.

Are you trying to access the camera's public IP from within your LAN? If so, that would require loopback, and I don't think the 2Wire is capable of that, unless there's a firmware upgrade I'm not aware of.

6 of 16 (9,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 10:35:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was told to access the camera remotely (away from my house) I type my public IP for the RG 76.233.XX.XX:30000 or the port number I want to get to.  I just found out a few minutes ago that I can't test this if I am on my network at home.  It has to be tested from a different network so I am getting a co worker to try.

I was told to access the camera remotely (away from my house) I type my public IP for the RG 76.233.XX.XX:30000 or the port number I want to get to.  I just found out a few minutes ago that I can't test this if I am on my network at home.  It has to be tested from a different network so I am getting a co worker to try.

7 of 16 (9,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 10:52:43 AM
(0)
Guru

Try your mobile phone on 3G.

Try your mobile phone on 3G.

8 of 16 (9,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 10:56:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Tried that using my POS crackberry on Nextel and it says it's an invalid URL.

Tried that using my POS crackberry on Nextel and it says it's an invalid URL.

9 of 16 (9,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:14:09 AM
(0)
Guru

Crackberry WiFi verified off?

Crackberry WiFi verified off?

10 of 16 (9,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:22:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ah Ha!!  Good call.  It was on....Turned off and testing now.

Ah Ha!!  Good call.  It was on....Turned off and testing now.

11 of 16 (8,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:26:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Now it tries but get a message back saying "request timed out" so it's still not working.Smiley Mad  This shouldn't be so difficult....Smiley Surprised

Now it tries but get a message back saying "request timed out" so it's still not working.Smiley Mad  This shouldn't be so difficult....Smiley Surprised

12 of 16 (8,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:30:18 AM
(0)
Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Give this a read. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21995454-Can-i-access-my-IP-camera-through-the-RG

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Give this a read. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21995454-Can-i-access-my-IP-camera-through-the-RG

13 of 16 (8,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:43:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:44:23 AM

Got it!!!  It helps if you put in the correct IP address of the camera.

76.233.XX.XX
   TCP30999
76.233.XX.XX

Sould have been 192.168.1.100.  Boy do I feel stupid.....

Thanks everybody!!

Got it!!!  It helps if you put in the correct IP address of the camera.

76.233.XX.XX
   TCP30999
76.233.XX.XX

Sould have been 192.168.1.100.  Boy do I feel stupid.....

Thanks everybody!!

[ Edited ]
14 of 16 (8,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 11:50:32 AM
(0)
Master

Thats how I learn by my mistakes now to just work on that memory thing.

Thats how I learn by my mistakes now to just work on that memory thing.

15 of 16 (8,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 12:33:35 PM
(0)
Expert

Glad it's working! Smiley Happy

Glad it's working! Smiley Happy

16 of 16 (8,395 Views)