flexy633_1's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 11:40 PM

Help Installing VCR, stereo receiver, and DVD

Hello everyone!  We had the AT&T tech out here on April 26 to install our U-Verse system.  However, none of our components (i.e. VCR, DVD player, stereo receiver, or stereo speakers) were hooked up yet (they weren't unpacked).  He just installed the AT&T receiver to our HDTV.  We have a brand new Phillips 42" HDTV.  The VCR is a late 90's Sony SLV-N71.  The DVD player is a 2005 Sony DVPN5V57P.  I have these hooked up to a Technics SA-EX300 receiver from the mid-90's powering some 901 Bose speakers which have their own equalizer.

As you can guess, there are many wires everywhere.  On top of that we have an early 90's Fisher cassette player/recorder.  They all worked fine when we had Comcast basic service (no set up box). 

My boyfriend is losing his mind and I'm losing my patience because he cannot get this setup.  He bought one HDMI calbe and tried to connect it from the TV to the AT&T receiver and he put the source for the TV to HDMI1 and the TV flashes the picture for a split second and then, shows what souce it's on.  He tried it on HDMI 2, then 3 and it does the same thing. 

He cannot get the VCR and DVD connected either.  Can someone provide a step by step connection guide since AT&T is worthless and they want to send someone out here for $300 to hook it all up.  I would really appreciate your help.  Oh, and the book provided by AT&T doesn't help.  Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have a bunch of people coming on this message board asking for assistance.

Thanks!

Joanne

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Aviewer, we were thinking of swapping the box from upstairs and seeing if it works without this annoying flash of Component, black screen, back to tv show.  It doesn't do this all the time, it's intermittent and it mostly seems to happen with ABC.  But, I've also noticed it with other stations, just not as frequently as ABC.

We'll see what happens.  I will come back and let you know if Joe's suggestions work.  If not, we will swap out the boxes and see if that works.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

If the swapped out box works fine on your hdtv then call cs/ts and request a new stb.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Well, trying Joe's suggestions of changing the settings on the tv itself worked.  We had the tv set to "Game" instead of "Normal" like Joe said to do.  Not sure why it was on "Game."  Seems to be working fine now.  Thanks everyone!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

Well, I was wrong.  Just haven't had a chance to come back here. I'm still getting the "Component" flash and black screen sometimes.  Also, when I turn on the "box" and go to Recorded programs, it won't do anything. You can't even turn the channel or volume. So, I turn off the tv and turn it back on and then it works.

Question - if I get a new receiver and we hook up everything with HDMI, do you think that will work? 

What type of receiver?  I am planning to get one for my husband for Christmas.  Suggestions?  Thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

The symptom you describe is indicative of the TV loosing the signal. Since you say it happens with both an HDMI connection and a component connection - and you are suspicious of the "old" receiver - try a connection direct from STB to TV - Eliminate the receiver (as a test) If you have no problem, the fault lies in the receiver.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

I bought him a new receiver that I think will work very well with the components we have now.  Can someone go back to the first post in this message and provide assistance in hooking everything up the proper way with the HDMI cables since we will now have a brand new receiver that is capable of handling everything.

Thanks!

Joanne

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

If you have a new super duper receiver I would use that as the switching point. Connect each of your devices to the appropriate input on the new receiver. Connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

Get him a nice Logitech Harmony remote to control all this great stuff.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

I would agree with aviewer, this should be a far simpler setup in concept than before.

What is the receiver manufacturer and model number?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

I bought him a Onkyo HT-RC260 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver.  It's not super expensive, but a lot better than what we have now. 

So, all we have to do then is use the HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv?  How do we hookup the DVD player, the AT&T box, and the VCR?

SomeJoe gave step by step instructions last time.  Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!  Maybe after we get this hooked up, the stupid tv won't cut out and flash Component on the screen anymore.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Nice diagram here =http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/QuickHookup/SN29400280_HT-RC260_QSS_En_web.pdf?CFID=1818655&CFTOKEN=53960614&jsessionid=f0306ab06df07f6834007e60d43552942225

Connect output onkyo - TV HDMI
Connect input onkyo - STB HDMI
Connect input onkyo - DVR component
Connect input onkyo - VCR composite
Connect input onkyo - Fisher tape deck audio jacks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.