U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 29, 2013
8:05:05 AM
View profile
HDMI Issues

I'm sure this issue has been talked to death but I'll rehash it for my own sake.  On Saturday I had service installed.  It was set up using an HDMI cable I provided (Amazon cables AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable).  My service ran smoothly until I turned my tv off for a short while, and the issues started after that.  When I'd turn the tv and uverse receiver on my tv would display "no signal".  After turning it off and on a few times I finally got picture with no audio problems.  When I woke up Sunday and powered everything on I got nothing and my attempts to power on and off proved futile.  I switched out the HDMI cable with a different but same exact cable and tried again, nothing.  I changed the HDMI input on my tv, nothing.  I ran HDMI out of my laptop and had no issues there so I know the cables and tv are fine.  I reset the cable box, nothing.  Using the googles I noticed many people have had this problem before.  I went out and picked up component cables and everything is currently working.  I'm currently renting two places so the tv I'm using now (Vizio E-Series 32" LED) won't be a permanent fixiture in the living room, so I'm ok running component for the time being. When I move everything in to the new place I'll have a 42" LG plasma, a PS3, a 7.1 Onkyo receiver and the uverse box.  Everything will run through my receiver.  I'd prefer to run all of that HDMI for visual appeal, organization as well as personal preference.  I'm worried I won't be able to do that.  I called ATT this morning and they said I HAD to buy a Monster HDMI cable for the uverse box to work with HDMI.  Seems absolutely ridiculous to me and my general understanding of HDMI cables is that they're vastly the same cable despite the wide margin of prices.  I've bought many cables from monoprice.com for my receiver, lg tv, ps3 and comcast cable box and have never had an issue.  Again, seems absurd to have to buy an overpriced cable just to run HDMI from this box, seems like something they should provide if that's the only cable that consistently works.  Anyways, has anyone had this problem and then had success using a Monster cable?  The component cables are a fine work around for now, but I'm incredibly disappointed that that is ATT's solution to the problem.  Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

I'm sure this issue has been talked to death but I'll rehash it for my own sake.  On Saturday I had service installed.  It was set up using an HDMI cable I provided (Amazon cables AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable).  My service ran smoothly until I turned my tv off for a short while, and the issues started after that.  When I'd turn the tv and uverse receiver on my tv would display "no signal".  After turning it off and on a few times I finally got picture with no audio problems.  When I woke up Sunday and powered everything on I got nothing and my attempts to power on and off proved futile.  I switched out the HDMI cable with a different but same exact cable and tried again, nothing.  I changed the HDMI input on my tv, nothing.  I ran HDMI out of my laptop and had no issues there so I know the cables and tv are fine.  I reset the cable box, nothing.  Using the googles I noticed many people have had this problem before.  I went out and picked up component cables and everything is currently working.  I'm currently renting two places so the tv I'm using now (Vizio E-Series 32" LED) won't be a permanent fixiture in the living room, so I'm ok running component for the time being. When I move everything in to the new place I'll have a 42" LG plasma, a PS3, a 7.1 Onkyo receiver and the uverse box.  Everything will run through my receiver.  I'd prefer to run all of that HDMI for visual appeal, organization as well as personal preference.  I'm worried I won't be able to do that.  I called ATT this morning and they said I HAD to buy a Monster HDMI cable for the uverse box to work with HDMI.  Seems absolutely ridiculous to me and my general understanding of HDMI cables is that they're vastly the same cable despite the wide margin of prices.  I've bought many cables from monoprice.com for my receiver, lg tv, ps3 and comcast cable box and have never had an issue.  Again, seems absurd to have to buy an overpriced cable just to run HDMI from this box, seems like something they should provide if that's the only cable that consistently works.  Anyways, has anyone had this problem and then had success using a Monster cable?  The component cables are a fine work around for now, but I'm incredibly disappointed that that is ATT's solution to the problem.  Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 30, 2013 4:16:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
mat42 - Thanks for letting us know you were successful.
Yea!!
Here is how you get it to work with the U-verse remote - When the TV is programmed on the remote it is added to the power sequence. To change it - att/ok-977-enter(bottom right).
The power button will follow the mode button - to power up - TV-power-att-ok.

I think you cannot change the auto order. But you could try it att/ok - 977-tv-att-enter.

You can change the order and introduce delay with a Logitech Harmony Remote. You definitely need one when you add the receiver.

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

HDMI Issues

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 8:28:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
mat42 - Of course it should work fine with monoprice cables. Most do. All five of mine do.

Sounds like you've covered the bases. It is shame you are not happy with component.

The only other thing I can think of is the order powering. Off could be as bad as on. pull the plug on the STB and the TV to start fresh. Try turning on the TV first then the STB. Try changing inputs while the TV is already on.

These are kind of weird things to do that you would not do normally, just to see if it is a sequence on the HDMI interface.

MAybe check with Vizio to see what they have to say.
mat42 - Of course it should work fine with monoprice cables. Most do. All five of mine do.

Sounds like you've covered the bases. It is shame you are not happy with component.

The only other thing I can think of is the order powering. Off could be as bad as on. pull the plug on the STB and the TV to start fresh. Try turning on the TV first then the STB. Try changing inputs while the TV is already on.

These are kind of weird things to do that you would not do normally, just to see if it is a sequence on the HDMI interface.

MAybe check with Vizio to see what they have to say.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HDMI Issues

2 of 21 (3,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 8:42:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'll give that a shot, I appreciate the help.  It's not that I'm not happy with component I'm just really unhappy with ATT that that is their solution to the problem.  And if they say one cord will work when others don't they should supply that cord (though I have a very hard time believing a Monster cable would work over others).  It just seems absurd to me that component is their only solution.  Seems awfully backwards.  Like I said, its fine for now and maybe when I move all of the other equipment up I'll have more luck running HDMI through my receiver.  This is my first experience with uverse, wouldn't say they're off to a good start.  Anyways, end rant, I appreciate the advice.  Thanks!

I'll give that a shot, I appreciate the help.  It's not that I'm not happy with component I'm just really unhappy with ATT that that is their solution to the problem.  And if they say one cord will work when others don't they should supply that cord (though I have a very hard time believing a Monster cable would work over others).  It just seems absurd to me that component is their only solution.  Seems awfully backwards.  Like I said, its fine for now and maybe when I move all of the other equipment up I'll have more luck running HDMI through my receiver.  This is my first experience with uverse, wouldn't say they're off to a good start.  Anyways, end rant, I appreciate the advice.  Thanks!

3 of 21 (3,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 8:52:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
mat42 - You mentioned receiver - reminds me I meant to mention it as well. There was a post having HDMI problems with a Denon receiver. I Googled it & found suggestions - one was to turn on the receiver first.
mat42 - You mentioned receiver - reminds me I meant to mention it as well. There was a post having HDMI problems with a Denon receiver. I Googled it & found suggestions - one was to turn on the receiver first.

4 of 21 (3,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 9:17:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

This order of operations stuff seems awfully strange to me but if it works I guess I'll go with that.  I won't have the receiver up here for a while yet so I'll have nothing to report but when I do I'll try it.  I'm just in shock that they haven't come up with a solution for this.  They hardly seem to acknowledge an issue as they don't supply working cables and simply suggest paying for an overpriced HDMI cable or using component.  Interesting business model.  Anyways.  Thanks again for the help and the free therapy session. I'll give it all a shot.

This order of operations stuff seems awfully strange to me but if it works I guess I'll go with that.  I won't have the receiver up here for a while yet so I'll have nothing to report but when I do I'll try it.  I'm just in shock that they haven't come up with a solution for this.  They hardly seem to acknowledge an issue as they don't supply working cables and simply suggest paying for an overpriced HDMI cable or using component.  Interesting business model.  Anyways.  Thanks again for the help and the free therapy session. I'll give it all a shot.

5 of 21 (3,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 9:41:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by gmsuv on Apr 29, 2013 at 9:43:55 AM

i've got 2 tvs connected to Uverse 1 wired and 1 wireless and both cables connected to the tvs are hdmi cables that I bought at Harbor Freight for $6.00 each so the statement that you have to use Monster Cables are not true.

i've got 2 tvs connected to Uverse 1 wired and 1 wireless and both cables connected to the tvs are hdmi cables that I bought at Harbor Freight for $6.00 each so the statement that you have to use Monster Cables are not true.

[ Edited ]
6 of 21 (3,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 10:53:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:53:30 AM

HMDI cables do NOT need to be expesive Monster cables to work, in fact they are no better than the cables you can get for $5 at wal-mart or target.  I have never purchased a Monster cable and do not intend to.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

HMDI cables do NOT need to be expesive Monster cables to work, in fact they are no better than the cables you can get for $5 at wal-mart or target.  I have never purchased a Monster cable and do not intend to.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
7 of 21 (3,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 11:29:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

oufanindallas wrote:

Neither do I.  I'm just looking for possible fixes to the problem.  The Monster cable suggestion seemed rather absurd and I realize the unlikelihood of it working.  That was the call centers suggestion, I'm fishing for other suggestions to make HDMI work and have come up empty thus far.  Again, it's just incredible to me that there isn't a solution worked out by ATT that solves the (from my searches widespread) issue of running HDMI so they simply suggest using component.  Seems like a lazy and unconcerned solution to a problem many people seem to be having.

oufanindallas wrote:

Neither do I.  I'm just looking for possible fixes to the problem.  The Monster cable suggestion seemed rather absurd and I realize the unlikelihood of it working.  That was the call centers suggestion, I'm fishing for other suggestions to make HDMI work and have come up empty thus far.  Again, it's just incredible to me that there isn't a solution worked out by ATT that solves the (from my searches widespread) issue of running HDMI so they simply suggest using component.  Seems like a lazy and unconcerned solution to a problem many people seem to be having.

8 of 21 (3,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 11:34:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Best way is to go to the TV directly on HDMI and use optical to the receiver. 

Going to the receiver on HDMI then to the TV won't work well, the receiver can't pass the HDMI signals (constantly, service and security) properly.  Then you can get away from component cables.

Optical is available from monoprice too. 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10237

Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Going to the receiver on HDMI then to the TV won't work well, the receiver can't pass the HDMI signals (constantly, service and security) properly.  Then you can get away from component cables.

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

9 of 21 (3,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 11:37:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

HDMI is a pretty straightforward protocol.  There have been some revisions (1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc...) and theoretically the standards are supposed to be backwards/forwards compatible.  However, as we all know, sometimes this isnt the case.  This also doesnt apply to the cables to the extent that they change the protocols.    Although it probably doesnt apply here, I believe only 3D can be transmitted by rev 1.4 cables for example). and one of them does ethernet over HDMI. 

The point I am trying to make is that it is POSSIBLE that there is just a mismatch between your components, cables, etc... but its very unlikely.  having said that, I would suggest trying a different brand or rev. of cable and seeing if that makes a difference. 

I would have occasional issues with my TV (insignia) and my boxes not handshaking correctly from time to time.  I dont know if a firmware update solved it, or if my new cables solved it (I keep changing them, dont ask...but always from monoprice). but it went away. 

Monster, clearly is not worth the money, so dont even go there, but you can find Monoprice cables and cheaper.

Having said all of that.due to a shortage of HDMI ports and given that U-Verse technically doesnt need HDMI, I actually dropped all three of my sets to monoprice components.   And you know what?  In my opinion, the picture looks better with the component cables. 

HDMI is a pretty straightforward protocol.  There have been some revisions (1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc...) and theoretically the standards are supposed to be backwards/forwards compatible.  However, as we all know, sometimes this isnt the case.  This also doesnt apply to the cables to the extent that they change the protocols.    Although it probably doesnt apply here, I believe only 3D can be transmitted by rev 1.4 cables for example). and one of them does ethernet over HDMI. 

The point I am trying to make is that it is POSSIBLE that there is just a mismatch between your components, cables, etc... but its very unlikely.  having said that, I would suggest trying a different brand or rev. of cable and seeing if that makes a difference. 

I would have occasional issues with my TV (insignia) and my boxes not handshaking correctly from time to time.  I dont know if a firmware update solved it, or if my new cables solved it (I keep changing them, dont ask...but always from monoprice). but it went away. 

Monster, clearly is not worth the money, so dont even go there, but you can find Monoprice cables and cheaper.

Having said all of that.due to a shortage of HDMI ports and given that U-Verse technically doesnt need HDMI, I actually dropped all three of my sets to monoprice components.   And you know what?  In my opinion, the picture looks better with the component cables. 

10 of 21 (3,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 11:49:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some like the component look better (seems to be a little softer here on my Panasonic plasma), so I prefer HDMI and have had only 3 HDMI problems (went to snow and had to reboot the DVR) in 4 3/4 years. :smileywink:

Chris

Some like the component look better (seems to be a little softer here on my Panasonic plasma), so I prefer HDMI and have had only 3 HDMI problems (went to snow and had to reboot the DVR) in 4 3/4 years. :smileywink:

Chris

11 of 21 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 11:54:13 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mat42 on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:55:23 AM

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

As things are currently set up the connection is direct from the TV to the box.  The receiver is a future endeavor but will come in to play in a couple months but I'll keep this in mind when I move it up.  I'm kinda mixing things up so I apologize for the confusion. 

In Apartment A I have: LG 1080p plasma, Comcast HD/DVR cable box, PS3 and Onkyo receiver.  HDMI for both the cable box and PS3 in to the receiver with one HDMI out to the tv.

In Apartment B I only have the U-Verse box which is connected directly to the Vizio tv.  HDMI direct worked for a short while and hasn't worked properly since.  That's a bit head scratching to me, that it did work, though I had to power on and off multiple times, then completely stopped.  Frustrating for me obviously.

Eventually everything in apartment A, except for the Comcast box, will be moved in to apartment B.  So when that happens and I add the receiver in to the equation if I'm still having HDMI issues I'll do exactly what you said, component to tv, optical to receiver.  I'm just curious if there's a solution in the meantime or if this is something I'll be dealing with for the duration of my ATT contract.

I'm just confusing myself and everyone else at this point probably.  Thanks for the advice, I apologize.  May god have mercy on my soul.  I need a drink...

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

As things are currently set up the connection is direct from the TV to the box.  The receiver is a future endeavor but will come in to play in a couple months but I'll keep this in mind when I move it up.  I'm kinda mixing things up so I apologize for the confusion. 

In Apartment A I have: LG 1080p plasma, Comcast HD/DVR cable box, PS3 and Onkyo receiver.  HDMI for both the cable box and PS3 in to the receiver with one HDMI out to the tv.

In Apartment B I only have the U-Verse box which is connected directly to the Vizio tv.  HDMI direct worked for a short while and hasn't worked properly since.  That's a bit head scratching to me, that it did work, though I had to power on and off multiple times, then completely stopped.  Frustrating for me obviously.

Eventually everything in apartment A, except for the Comcast box, will be moved in to apartment B.  So when that happens and I add the receiver in to the equation if I'm still having HDMI issues I'll do exactly what you said, component to tv, optical to receiver.  I'm just curious if there's a solution in the meantime or if this is something I'll be dealing with for the duration of my ATT contract.

I'm just confusing myself and everyone else at this point probably.  Thanks for the advice, I apologize.  May god have mercy on my soul.  I need a drink...

[ Edited ]
12 of 21 (3,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 29, 2013 12:02:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:05:45 PM

Have you tried turning on the TV first, waiting about 10 seconds, then the Uverse unit?  That has worked for some users in the past.

Also, unplugging the HDMI cable and then rebooting the DVR and plugging in the HDMI cable after 4 mins has worked for others.

Just a couple suggestions to get the Vizio working now on HDMI. :smileywink:

Chris

Have you tried turning on the TV first, waiting about 10 seconds, then the Uverse unit?  That has worked for some users in the past.

Also, unplugging the HDMI cable and then rebooting the DVR and plugging in the HDMI cable after 4 mins has worked for others.

Chris

[ Edited ]
13 of 21 (3,126 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 12:05:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

jgold47 wrote:

You very well could be right and I'll be coming up with a handful of different HDMI cords I have at my other place to try that.  The part that confuses me on it all is that it worked for a short period of time and now I have no luck.  I don't particularly want to turn my tv and box on and off 5 or 6 times (though that doesn't seem to work anymore) for it to transmit signal to the tv so I may end up sticking with component just for my cable box.  Eventually I'll probably just cave in, abandon all hope and bask in the glory of component cables.  I've just never had any issue with HDMI like this so it's a bit mind bottling, you know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle.

jgold47 wrote:

You very well could be right and I'll be coming up with a handful of different HDMI cords I have at my other place to try that.  The part that confuses me on it all is that it worked for a short period of time and now I have no luck.  I don't particularly want to turn my tv and box on and off 5 or 6 times (though that doesn't seem to work anymore) for it to transmit signal to the tv so I may end up sticking with component just for my cable box.  Eventually I'll probably just cave in, abandon all hope and bask in the glory of component cables.  I've just never had any issue with HDMI like this so it's a bit mind bottling, you know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle.

14 of 21 (3,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 12:12:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I haven't tried that, no.  I'll give that shot when I get home, I think I'm capable of taking on such a task.  Hopefully.  Thanks again!

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I haven't tried that, no.  I'll give that shot when I get home, I think I'm capable of taking on such a task.  Hopefully.  Thanks again!

15 of 21 (3,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 1:36:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
mat42 - RE The part that confuses me on it all is that it worked for a short period of time and now I have no luck.

This is the reason I suggested that the mismatch could have been caused by a power down causing an out of sequence & you need to unplug power to get back in synch.

An analogy is the one button power sequence of the STB and TV. If they both do come on it is great. If only one comes on you can press the power button til the cows come home & it will never work. You need to break the cycle with an OK.
mat42 - RE The part that confuses me on it all is that it worked for a short period of time and now I have no luck.

This is the reason I suggested that the mismatch could have been caused by a power down causing an out of sequence & you need to unplug power to get back in synch.

An analogy is the one button power sequence of the STB and TV. If they both do come on it is great. If only one comes on you can press the power button til the cows come home & it will never work. You need to break the cycle with an OK.

16 of 21 (3,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 7:13:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Alright. Well I've found some success. You guys were right. I unplugged and reset the box and tv. Then by powering on the tv first and then the uverse box I'm able to have audio and visual through hdmi. That still seems a bit strange to me but it's working so I can't complain. It has to be powered on in that order. Unfortunately using the power button on the uverse remote gives me no results as it turns the box on prior to the tv but even though I'm lazy I'm not lazy enough to not be able to use separate remotes. Thanks fellas, I appreciate the advice. You guys are better than tech support. Thanks again!
Alright. Well I've found some success. You guys were right. I unplugged and reset the box and tv. Then by powering on the tv first and then the uverse box I'm able to have audio and visual through hdmi. That still seems a bit strange to me but it's working so I can't complain. It has to be powered on in that order. Unfortunately using the power button on the uverse remote gives me no results as it turns the box on prior to the tv but even though I'm lazy I'm not lazy enough to not be able to use separate remotes. Thanks fellas, I appreciate the advice. You guys are better than tech support. Thanks again!

17 of 21 (3,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 30, 2013 4:16:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yea!!
Here is how you get it to work with the U-verse remote - When the TV is programmed on the remote it is added to the power sequence. To change it - att/ok-977-enter(bottom right).

I think you cannot change the auto order. But you could try it att/ok - 977-tv-att-enter.

You can change the order and introduce delay with a Logitech Harmony Remote. You definitely need one when you add the receiver.

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2...

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

Yea!!

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

18 of 21 (2,985 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 8:15:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

Mat42,

Make sure that HDMI CEC on the Vizio is off.

If you still have to turn on the TV first you can do it with the Uverse remote by:

1) Press the TV button on the Uverse remote.

2) Press the power button on the remote to turn on the TV

3) Press the ATT button.

4) Press the OK button to turn on the Uverse receiver.

Mat42,

Make sure that HDMI CEC on the Vizio is off.

If you still have to turn on the TV first you can do it with the Uverse remote by:

1) Press the TV button on the Uverse remote.

2) Press the power button on the remote to turn on the TV

3) Press the ATT button.

4) Press the OK button to turn on the Uverse receiver.

19 of 21 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 12:02:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:02:47 PM

mat42 wrote:

Try pressing the TV button at the top, then Power, this should just turn on the TV.   Once you do this, you should get the Push OK to Get Uverse screensaver then, just wait the 10 seconds and push OK after pressing the ATT button.

What this is doing is letting the TV send HDMI signals to the DVR before the DVR sends them to the TV b4 the TV is ready and properly makes the connection. :smileywink:

Chris

mat42 wrote:

Try pressing the TV button at the top, then Power, this should just turn on the TV.   Once you do this, you should get the Push OK to Get Uverse screensaver then, just wait the 10 seconds and push OK after pressing the ATT button.

What this is doing is letting the TV send HDMI signals to the DVR before the DVR sends them to the TV b4 the TV is ready and properly makes the connection. :smileywink:

Chris

[ Edited ]
20 of 21 (2,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2013 2:18:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
mat42 - I was wondering if the power up order could be changed. Finally, tried it & found out it is possible. Programming os att/ok -977-tv-att-enter
mat42 - I was wondering if the power up order could be changed. Finally, tried it & found out it is possible. Programming os att/ok -977-tv-att-enter

21 of 21 (2,541 Views)