Need help with your equipment?
cocksy's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 4:03 AM

Forwarding port 443 for WHS - conflict with connectToCiscoAP

I previously had my WHS set up and working fine for remote web acces for use with my AT&T Uverse internet. However, I think the RG has recently had a software update or something, as it has lost all my settings. Now, when I try and set it up to open ports 433, 4125 and 80 for WHS, it comes up with the following error:

WHS Ports conflicts with connectToCiscoAP which is currently in use on Cisco_AP_ATT.

WHS Ports and connectToCiscoAP use the same resources and cannot both be hosted at the same time. To use WHS Ports, you must first remove connectToCiscoAP from the application list of Cisco_AP_ATT. Alternatively, you can install the applications on one computer and add both application profiles to the application list for that computer.

Any idea whether its safe to remove the "connectToCiscoAP" rule and allow my rule so that I can connet to my WHS from the web? Will it mess up my TV or wireless TV receiver or something? I don't recall having this issue last time I set it up, but may have forgotten!! Many thanks.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

now I can't get it working again. AAAAArrrgghhhhhh!!!!

This is so annoying as it used to work just fine, and then i think the home gateway had a firmware update (my password reset), and now I am totally stuck!!!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Since you're having trouble with getting the WHS to change the port from the default (443), and the Cisco WAP will always override and use 443, there may not be a solution for you unless you purchase static IPs.

If you purchase static IPs, then you can assign one of the statics to the WHS, and the Cisco WAP won't interfere with it.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Hmmm. If I turn off the CiscoAP port forwarding on 433, what will be the impact on the WAP / Uverse, and how often will it come back into force?

I'm thinking it might just be easier to live with the fact that sometimes it will automatically come back on, as long as the down sides to it being off aren't too bad.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cocksy wrote:
Hmmm. If I turn off the CiscoAP port forwarding on 433, what will be the impact on the WAP / Uverse, and how often will it come back into force?

I'm thinking it might just be easier to live with the fact that sometimes it will automatically come back on, as long as the down sides to it being off aren't too bad.

The rule is probably embedded in the firmware, which means that it will probably come back anytime the modem/gateway is rebooted/reset.

As Somejoe mentioned, the rule is probably there so AT&T has remote access to the WAP for mods or firmware upgrades and should not impact the day to day operations of it, but if they try to push an update for the WAP, it will fail, and they will probably push a reset for the modem/gateway to ensure the rule is in place. The problem there, is what happens when they decide to do that while you're on the road somewhere and you need acces to your WHS. The only solution there would be to remote in to one of your other computers and then access the modem/gateway from the inside to change the rule back to your WHS, as there is no remote user access for the 2WIREs (other than for AT&T).

Yes, it's an ugly solution to a problem that should not exist, but until AT&T decides to add functionality to the 2WIRE's that any other $40 router has (port triggering or port translation), there's not much else to do besides go with a static IP package, or buy another router to place between the 2WIRE and your other devices (one that does port translation).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Again, as I posted before, the port for the WAP and your WHS is 443, not 433.  You keep typing 433, and I don't know if that is just a typo, or if you're actually trying to use that port for the WHS instead.

You cannot just delete the WAP rule.  The AT&T control system will put the rule back within a few hours, making it useless.

Again, as I posted before, you have 2 choices:

1. Get the WHS working on other ports.  I can't help you with that, I don't have one and I'm not familiar with it.

2. Get static IPs.

You're wasting your time and ours if you continue to pursue other attempts at a solution that we've already informed you will not work.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Hi SomeJoe,

Sorry yes - that's just my dyslexia coming in with the 443 / 433!

Thanks for your help - I'm not trying to annoy you or waste your time - your help is very much appreciated; I'm just trying to investigate other avenues that might work and getting all the information so I can make a balanced decision on how to progress because I refuse to pay $15 extra on top of what I already pay, just for a service / feature that I only need because the normal service they provide isn't 'standard' (e.g.. A router with uPNP!

I missed the bit in your previous post that advises the Cisco WAP rule comes back every few hours, apologies for that.

I'm trying to work out what I'm doing wrong with my WHS 2011 ports, but I'm not having much luckt, as most port changing guides are for WHS V1, not 2011 and I'm not sure that they read across properly. I'll keep searching on that front.

The most frustrating thing is that I had it working when I first got it all set up with Uverse!!! I think I must have just removed the Cisco WAP port, and it all seemed to work no problems for weeks. It was only after it stopped working whilst I was on holiday that I noticed my password had been reset back to the stock, so presumed a firmware update must have reset that, and bought the Cisco WAP port rule back.

Computer-Joe, you mentioned replacing the router / RG as a possible way to overcome this - is that fairly easy to do on Uverse? I would have no issues doing that on a 'normal' internet connections, I'm just not sure how it would impact the U-verse TV side of things, and I don't want to screw that up!!

Thanks again.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, UPnP wouldn't help you here, because the WHS doesn't use UPnP to open ports, at least the older WHS version. If your WHS 2011 does, you would still have to change away from port 443 for it to work.

Adding your own router won't help either, because the 2Wire still would override incoming connections on 443.

There should definitely be a way to change the WHS ports. Keep looking, and I'm sure you'll find a proper procedure for WHS 2011.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I do think the WHS 2011 uses uPNP to make sure router ports are openf or it, but as you said, it wont help if 443 is still assigned to the WAP.

OK, I'll keep searching for the WHS 2011 method for changing the ports. Thanks for all your help.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cocksy wrote:

I do think the WHS 2011 uses uPNP to make sure router ports are openf or it, but as you said, it wont help if 443 is still assigned to the WAP.

OK, I'll keep searching for the WHS 2011 method for changing the ports. Thanks for all your help.

Yes WHS 2011 does have and will use UPnP, I have not seen any info on disabling UPnP in WHS, only about disabling it on your router if it does not work (which I suggest anyway).

WHS 2011 and WHS v1 are different, Microsoft did strip a lot of functionality out of WHS 2011, as they are trying to get rid of WHS and push people into a new "light" version of SBS.

When I mentioned using another router, I did not mean replace the 2WIRE.  You would have to insert the router between your 2WIRE and your computers. If you get a router that has port translation, pretty much any brandname router, you can have your requests from the internet come in on the alternate port (4433) and the router will "translate" that external port request to the proper port (443) before forwarding the request to the WHS. This should be much simpler than mucking about with what is probably hard coded in the server kernal.

This is what I did to use an "internal" router (when I had Uverse). I set my "internal" router to use DHCP or Dynamic for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to a LAN port on the 2WIRE, reboot the "internal" router, let the 2WIRE assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the 2WIRE's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the 2WIRE uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the 2WIRE uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). You do not need to disable the firewall in the 2WIRE as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If your have wireless on your new router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG (unless you use any remote control apps for your STBs)

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax (or the Cisco WAP).

Once your new router is set up you can put the forwarding/translating rule inplace, and everything should be good.

If you've used a router behind a DSL modem this process is pretty much the same, except the 2WIRE does not have a true bridge mode, it uses DMZ.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

... If you get a router that has port translation, pretty much any brandname router, you can have your requests from the internet come in on the alternate port (4433) and the router will "translate" that external port request to the proper port (443) before forwarding the request to the WHS. This should be much simpler than mucking about with what is probably hard coded in the server kernal.

Won't the 2WIRE do port translation in the Port Forwarding rules?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.