Need help with your equipment?
cocksy's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 4:03 AM

Forwarding port 443 for WHS - conflict with connectToCiscoAP

I previously had my WHS set up and working fine for remote web acces for use with my AT&T Uverse internet. However, I think the RG has recently had a software update or something, as it has lost all my settings. Now, when I try and set it up to open ports 433, 4125 and 80 for WHS, it comes up with the following error:

WHS Ports conflicts with connectToCiscoAP which is currently in use on Cisco_AP_ATT.

WHS Ports and connectToCiscoAP use the same resources and cannot both be hosted at the same time. To use WHS Ports, you must first remove connectToCiscoAP from the application list of Cisco_AP_ATT. Alternatively, you can install the applications on one computer and add both application profiles to the application list for that computer.

Any idea whether its safe to remove the "connectToCiscoAP" rule and allow my rule so that I can connet to my WHS from the web? Will it mess up my TV or wireless TV receiver or something? I don't recall having this issue last time I set it up, but may have forgotten!! Many thanks.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I've folowed those instructions 3 or 4 times creating new rules, but they dont work!

The only one I ca get to open up is port 80 - I can turn it off again, so I know I'm doing the process right, but none fo these get opened 4433, 4125, 65515, 65510, according to canyouseeme.org.

AT&T Firewall Router Pic.png

Any ideas?!

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Well, from what I can see on the firewall status screenshot you posted, it looks like you're opening the ports correctly. As far as why the WHS isn't responding, I can't explain. I don't know too much about WHS, so other than pointing you to the article I found on changing it's ports, that's about all I know.

I hate to refer you elsewhere, but you might try a WHS forum and see if they have anything additional to offer. Because at this point, it doesn't look like the firewall is the problem.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I know why WHS doesn't respond: because according to the canyouseeme.org site - the ports aren't open, even though the RG syas they are!!

Any ideas?!!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

All that the canyouseeme.org site can test is if the TCP connection will open or not. That tells you if it's working, but if it's not, it doesn't tell you why.

If the connection can't be made, that could be because the port isn't open. It could also be because the WHS server isn't responding, even though the ports ARE open. This is what appears to be the case, because your screenshot above clearly shows that the ports are open.

Can you get to the WHS on the LAN? What happens if you go to https://:4433 ?

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Ah, I see, I understand a bit more clearly now!

OK, when I go go the address of the WHS on the network & :4433 the page doesn't open, if i go to the IP without 4433 it seems to work. So, it does appear to be something with the WHS, not the Router.

I'll do some digging, but I dont know exactly where I should be looking...!! 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Hmmmmm. Help!!!

OK, so I played around with the settings on the WHS for a bit, and I think I got them back to the original 433 ports, etc, and when (from RDP into the server) I go to localhost:433, or he IP address and :433 it all works OK. But if I go to the IP address from any other PC on my network, it doesn't work.

Then I got thinking; I've recently installed a new switch in my network, a Tenda G1008D. I thought I had remotely access the WHS from the internet since I instaled that, but now I'm not too sure. Everything else on the netowkr is working just fine.

Could this be the cause of all the issues? If so, how do I go about resolving it??!! I seems to be working in every othe respect, and as its an unmanaged switch, I don't even know if theres a configuration page I can go to adjust settings?!!

Or do I need to open the ports from the RG to the MAC address of the switch? I'm getting a bit out of my depth now....!!! 

Any help still appreiated!

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe7777 - I'll work through all that step by step tomorrow to make sure everything is tip top!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

Not sure if this will help, but from what I've read the reason your server is not responding to requests on the newly assigned ports is the server kernal might be hard coded for access ports and if setting alternate ports the server just ignores them or it just breaks access. I believe that to get around this issue (other than to ditch the wireless STB) is either a static IP package so your server has it's own public IP, or a gateway that allows port triggering or does port translation (not 2WIRE). Putting the the server in the DMZ will not work because firewall rules overide DMZ so if port 443 is assigned in a firewall rule, it is unavailable to a DMZed computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

OK,

So I did some work, and it looks like the problem is the settings in WHS. One thing that I failed to highlight is that I'm using WHS 2011, rather than the orignal so the port changing instructions dont quite work, but I thought I had done it correctly.

I returned WHS 2011 IIS settings to the standard 433, and removed the CiscoAP port forward 433, it all worked perfectly well.

I went through the whole set-up again to change it to port 4433, and ended up with the same error.

So I did it one more time, and this time I remoted in to the WHS from my PC an went to the remote web access area in server settings, and it all came up as 'OK' (as it did previously). Then I went back to the web and it all works OK!!!

No ide what i did differently, but it all seems to be working great now. Thanks for all your help! Smiley LOL

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Crap. I spoke to soon.

I went to put the Cisco back on for port 433, and it causes my server internet web page to timeout immediately, even though my server and the firewall are set to use 4433 and the ciso is 443.

What on earth???!!!

If I were to leave the cisco 443 off, what would be the effect on my Uverse TV?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.