Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Feb 5, 2014
11:23:47 AM
Eligibility for router (gateway) upgrade for more modern features?

I have been a U-verse Internet customer for several years. I am looking for more router features, such as scheduled down-times for my kids' devices, but my current router/gateway is limited in its capabilities. Am I eligible for a more modern router? That is, do new U-verse customers receive routers with more sophistication related to controlling device usage [by MAC address, etc.] than the older models?

I have an old wireless router, of my own, but this model cannot be connected to the U-verse gateway, to act as an AP, so I am limited as to what I can do. I am looking for another reason to stay with U-verse, as other ISP's offer device control.

I have been a U-verse Internet customer for several years. I am looking for more router features, such as scheduled down-times for my kids' devices, but my current router/gateway is limited in its capabilities. Am I eligible for a more modern router? That is, do new U-verse customers receive routers with more sophistication related to controlling device usage [by MAC address, etc.] than the older models?

I have an old wireless router, of my own, but this model cannot be connected to the U-verse gateway, to act as an AP, so I am limited as to what I can do. I am looking for another reason to stay with U-verse, as other ISP's offer device control.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 13, 2014 4:15:49 AM
(0)
Employee
While new Uverse RG exist, the controls you desire requires the purchase of your own router placed behind the RG in DMZ or IP pass though.

Follow post 2 http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/td-p/2707013
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Eligibility for router (gateway) upgrade for more modern features?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 11:32:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Will this get you what you want?  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls.  It's free with your Uverse service.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Will this get you what you want?  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls.  It's free with your Uverse service.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Eligibility for router (gateway) upgrade for more modern features?

2 of 5 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 2:33:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

No. That solution needs to be installed on each [Windows] PC. My kids use tablets and iPod's more often than their PC's. Even were client software available for iOS and Android, centralized router-based solution makes the most sense for acting as the gateway to the Internet, versus device-based bloatware.

Access controls are available even on the most rudimentary consumer routers these days.

No. That solution needs to be installed on each [Windows] PC. My kids use tablets and iPod's more often than their PC's. Even were client software available for iOS and Android, centralized router-based solution makes the most sense for acting as the gateway to the Internet, versus device-based bloatware.

Access controls are available even on the most rudimentary consumer routers these days.

3 of 5 (1,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 13, 2014 4:15:49 AM
(0)
Employee
While new Uverse RG exist, the controls you desire requires the purchase of your own router placed behind the RG in DMZ or IP pass though.

Follow post 2 http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

Follow post 2 http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/td-p/2707013
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (992 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 4:29:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Fair enough. I was hoping to avoid that as my pre-existing router is not compatible for bridging. However, it is what it is, so I will proceed thusly if I get around to it.

Thanks much.

Fair enough. I was hoping to avoid that as my pre-existing router is not compatible for bridging. However, it is what it is, so I will proceed thusly if I get around to it.

Thanks much.

5 of 5 (990 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments