Need help with your equipment?
Sabaka's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, August 14th, 2014 4:29 PM

Currently have AT&T DSL

And I have several technical questions regarding switching to U-verse. Is there someone willing to correspond with me?  Thank you in advance for your time.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

10 years ago

Post them, there are plenty of people on this forum that can answer your questions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I do not know a lot about U-verse but this is our situation: - We have basic Satellite TV and are pretty happy with the price and it provides us with all the entertainment and stupidity we can stand. - We have two phone lines 904-221-xxxx for voice and 904-220-xxxx DSL / fax. Both phone lines are basic features / lowest cost and no long distance capability. Yes, I know I don’t need a second line for DSL but I like the separation. - My wife, 2 sons, and I each have an AT&T cell phone that we use for all of our recreational and business related calling. Mine is 904-307-xxxx. I also tether it to my laptop for email/ internet access when I’m travelling and not near a Wi-Fi spot. - We pay approximately $46.00 a month for Fast Access DSL Extreme 6.0. With four of us performing work / schoolwork / online games, and a streamed video periodically, we are outgrowing our bandwith. This is the driving force behind the inquiry into U-verse. 

These are my questions:

1) I would guess that our house would need to be hard wired for at least one fiber optic cable drop and also fiber optic cabling run from the closest termination point to the outside of our house’ junction box. Who pays for that?

2) I would guess that we would need a new router that would function with fiber optics. Is it furnished for free with a one year agreement

3) Assuming a new modem is required, will it work with my current D-Link DIR-655 router?

4) Would I need to set up the new modem in bridge mode as I have for DSL or will the modem setup be different?

5) In my limited online research, U-Verse appears to be a bundled solution. Is it possible to obtain just the “internet” portion and not the entire package?

6) Based upon research, we should be eligible to obtain up to an 18mb connection. While this is very exciting, I would be very interested in both the initial setup costs as well as the monthly costs. There is probably some kind of promo to switch where the rate is lower. I’m interested in knowing what the costs are after the honeymoon is over. 🙂 

7) I would be interested in your candid thoughts on this matter. Advice, issues with U-Verse, etc. Is fiber optic lines susceptible to slowdown as the number of users increase? Peak loading?

Additionally, I know that there is an appeals process when a residence appears to not be eligible. This is our situation but I also know the neighbor 50 yards away has U-verse. I know that doesn't mean anything. I also know that an Engineer has the final say after a formal review. How do I initiate this appeals process? Does it need to be in writing and if so, where do I mail the request? If at the end of the appeal, we are deemed ineligible for U-verse, I would be greatly interested to know the hardware and/or distance restrictions results from the investigation.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

No one seems to want to respond to my questions.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.