For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
chatserv's profile

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

Saturday, June 7th, 2014 12:59 AM

Considering U-verse again

The last few months I've had nightmatre with Charter...they have higher speeds with 60 mbps but their connection keeps dropping multiple times daily and every time I call them they always report outages going in my area.

With that said, I also have DirecTV for my TV service and been with them for 7+ years and been happy.

I've tried U-Verse TV back in the day when it first came out and the PQ was just awful with tons of pixelations, cancelled after few months because I couldn't do it anymore.

With that said here are the things I am looking for:

Ability to record 3HD shows at the same time - The highest speed available in my area is 24mbps - sad.

Responsive DVR

Plenty of DVR Space

Ability to hide duplication sd channels, for example: channel 2 should be HD instead of SD if I check it, directv does this and it works fine, does AT&T U-Verse offer the same thing?

Does directv  show east coast feeds of HBO? I live in Reno,Nevada so we are west, back few years ago they use to have East coast feeds for HBO, do they still offer those? I like to watch game of thrones at 6pm instead of a later time. 🙂

How is the picture quality these days?

Internet wise connection:

Can I plug in my existing router to the U-Verse modem without problems? I like my router, spent almost $200 and it has been working great with Charter since I have several things attached to it.

Will Internet speeds affect my DVR and be able to record multiple channels? For example, I have a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, 2 iPhones, Destktop computer and Roku, will this impact the ability to record multiple channels?

Last thing I want is my devices that use internet be online and my recordings will not record because of bandwidth, that would make me one frustrated off customer.

I am a gamer, I enjoy navigating on the web, playing games, facebook, netflix, and so on...I want to make sure all my services are going to work flawlessly without having to worry about bandwidth.

If I switch to U-verse for both my TV and Internet, this will save me nearly $100 a month...but if I have to compromise quality over $$$, then the choice would be very hard and most likely will stay where I am at least for th TV service.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

chatserv - All your concerns end up on the good side. The one concern is speed.

Do you know how far from the VRAD you are located? I believe you want to have a max rate over 42000 for maximum service.

The internet will not detract from the TV. Rather the TV will detract from the internet. The dedicated bandwidth for internet is 12mb. If you order 18 or 24, those last 12 megabits may be taken over by watching/recording three or four HD channels.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

The dedicated bandwidth for internet is 12mb. If you order 18 or 24, those last 12 megabits may be taken over by watching/recording three or four HD channels.

aviewer, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Each HD stream takes about 6 Mbps from your full connection capacity.  If your full capacity is 32 Mbps, then 2 channels leaves 20 Mbps for HSI, 3 leaves 14 Mbps, 4 leaves 8 Mbps. Your HSI bandwidth can't be more than that while those channels are being watched.

If you can, and do, order Power HSI, then you'll get 55 Mbps total capacity, and with 4 streams should have 31 Mbps reserve HSI capacity (though one customer reported he was always 6 Mbps lower than what we predict).  And you could have up to 45 Mbps max.  Note for this, you have to be with 2300' of the VRAD, have two pair available to serve you, and be able get get at least 40 Mbps max sync on each line.

If you have MaxTurbo, then you'll have 24 Mbps max HSI, but it can be further limited as described above from a total of 32.  (This rqeuires a max sync of 40 Mbps or higher).

If you don't have a max sync of over 40 Mbps, then you can't get Max Turbo.  You should then get a sync rate of 25 Mbps (or not get service) and will be limited to a max HSI bandwidth of 18 Mbps, and your second HD stream will start chewing in to it.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

JefferMC - Just trying to starkly summarize the numbers you show in your first paragraph. Those numbers do appear a bit worse than I indicated. The problem i perceive with all that data is that people tend to gloss over them and not derive the real impact - If you can get the common 32 mb service with 4 HD channels & want 18 or 24 internet service, you cannot accommodate the max for all of them at the same time.

There certainly is value in this compromise, but I believe it is not the general expectation. I believe, the general expectation is that both can be run at full rate simultaneously. It should always be specified before the sale.

I did not include the case where the 32mb is not available at a location because I do not know what the restrictions are on applying the higher rate internet. What if you order one & your line does not support it. Is the order changed as part of installation? I believe that would be another expectation.

Also, I did not include your last two paragraphs because it is more complex technology, offered in select locations. I purposely focused on the most common case to focus on the compromise.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.