Girevik's profile

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

Friday, June 28th, 2013 10:15 PM

Conflicts and "First Run" vs. "Repeats"

I am having issues recording shows that are shown many times during the week, as many cable channels do.  I want to record the new episodes of these shows.  When I have my settings for "First Run" and there is a conflict with the first airing, my show never gets recorded.  If I say "repeats", it wants to record every airing of this episode plus all reruns.  I've had several DVR's and never one that couldn't handle this situation.

Please tell me there's a way to set it to get a later showing of a first run episode without all the other stuff!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

Long story short, what you want has not yet been invented, nor incorporated into mainstream DVR;'s. 

Like I said, Comcast's DVR was not that smart.  Now, TiVO is a completely different animal.  AND if the smart "conflict" resolution is a patented TiVO feature, you will not see that feature on any DVR.  Comcast tried throwing all kinds of money at TiVO to incorporate their functionality into Comcast's DVR and TiVO refused.  TiVO has also sued DVR makers for infringement on similar features.  You could tell AT&T directly about the feature that you want by sending a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care.  Not sure what response that you will get.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

To clarify what TiVo does in these situations:  if there is a recording conflict, TiVo would automatically record the next scheduled playing of the episode of the lower priority series, even if the series recording is set to First Run only.  This is a nice feature since it resolves these conflicts without you having to regularly check for them or having to manually change recording times.  It ensured 100% that you would not miss a show.

So here are my questions.  When setting Series Priorities, it obviously makes sense to put the network shows up top since they are rarely replayed, and the cable shows near the bottom.  If there is a conflict, will it automatically record the next scheduled episode?  My understanding is no.  But, will it at least alert me that there is a conflict?

What if the scheduled playing time of a higher priority show gets changed and creates a conflict that did not exist -  say, NBC changes a show from 9:00 to 10:00, and now I suddenly have a conflict with a lower-priority program on USA.  How do I find out that I now have a conflict?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks!  Just so I'm clear on #1, when there is a conflict -

If set up First Run Only, it will NOT record the next scheduled episode

If set up First Run & Rerun, it WILL record the next scheduled episode

Right?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

If by "scheduled episode" you mean based on what programs are shown in the Guide at that time, your statement would generally be correct.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

I would just like to say essentially the same thing from a different perspective -

There is no automatic conflict resolution or notification.

Yes, the conflict is identified in the scheduled list. But, if you do not look at the scheduled list, you will not know. Auto notification would be a message when you turn on the STB & send an e-mail in case the TV is not on.

Yes, the recordings will take place as specified in message 14 above. But, it has nothing to do with conflicts. It will always record those episodes. Sometimes they will duplicate a previous recording. Only if the previous recording did not take place will they be the only viewing opportunity.

My perspective is that I do not have tools to guarantee not missing an episode, so I have to decide, do I want too many or too few. Since, I have not had any cases where there were just too many to handle I schedule to get as many as possible to minimize chances of missing one.

Also, I look at the scheduled list and my favorites guide.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.