Need help with your equipment?
streittk's profile

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

Friday, December 17th, 2010 3:58 PM

Changing SSID/Network Key

Kinda new here.  I would have thought someone asked this question before.  Probably have, but I couldn't find it. 

Anyway... How do I change my network name and passkey?  Having 2wire999 as my network name when my neighbors have 2wire888, 2wire777, 2wire555, etc., is confusing enough.  Additionally, I'd like to set up my own passwords as well.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

I've got the 2Wire i38HG and it has two stickers with the SSID and wireless network key, as well as the SN and Mac, but no default password.

Is there a universal default password?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

No Universal password exists for the RG.  Each password is unique.  It should be printed on a label on the side of the RG.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

On the sticker look for "Wireless Network Key." This is your unique password.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

So I followed the steps in the reply, and the network name successfully changed.  I can locate and connect to the network on my phones, iPad and laptop.

However, certain devices - TV and printer, to be specific - cannot even locate the network.  Uverse customer support has been unhelpful - basically saying I caused this so they won't help.

Anyone have an idea?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

I have changed the SSID and passphrase for my wireless network and have no issues with connecting to it.  Do you see other wireless netowrks from your home?  Do you have other possible sources of interference (wireless phones, microwave ovens, etc.)?  Your RG may have a way to limit the output power for the wireless radio, so make sure that is not set too low as it could cause issues as well.

Depending upon your iPhone/iPad, you may have the RG forcing an 802.11G connection and not allowing 802.11B connections, so make sure your other devices are also 802.11G compliant...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This was VERY helpful! Thanks so much! 

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

A helpful post, I just wan to ask how to search my wireless when I block the ssid transfer.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

Generally you can't "search" for a wireless network that has the SSID blocked.  Technically, you can, but it is a little more complicated than a simple post in a forum can tell you how to do it.  In essence, your network will still broadcast wireless packets and the SSID will be embedded in those packets, so if someone wants to find your network name, they will be able to do so even if your router isn't opening advertising its name as an available network.

In any case, I would say that blocking the SSID broadcast actually does more harm to you than any benefits you can get out of the perceived "security" from not broadcasting it.  As I said in the first paragraph, if someone wants, they can still get your SSID for your network even if you aren't "broadcasting" it, so it doesn't really offer you any security to not broadcast it.  Couple that with the issues that so many people have with trying to connect devices to their wireless networks because they are not broadcasting the the SSID, and you quickly see that it causes you more trouble to not broadcast it that to allow it to be broadcasted.  Just make sure to set a good strong wireless security like WPA/PSK (using AES) or WPA2 (using AES) and your network will be more no more insecure than a wireless network not broadcasting its SSID.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hello All, 

Just got my U-Verse service installed today for internet and TV. I had my own personal router that I requested to not be replaced, but it was. Oh well. However, I am having issues with network renaming and making a new password. I have red all of hte other posts and have gotten to the site to do it and have changed it, but it then asks for a password on the next page where I put the pswd listed on the RG, but it doesn't work. Please help. I hate having a SSID and Password that is random and always has to be looked up. I might just have to call ATT tomorrow. 

Thanks

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Sure you didn't goof up the System password and Wireless Network Key, both the same length?

You can still add your own router back into the mix:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.  Courtesy of Computer Joe. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.