mkjames's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 1:28 PM

Cannot Setup Voicemail after Switching Landline to Wireless Phone

I just recently switched my land line to the wireleess home phone WF721 that comes with voicemail. Everything works except whern trying to set up AT&T voicemail. When I press"1" I get a recording "this call cannot be completed."  Queue CA09MN. I am using a cordless speakerphone/answering system E5965C. In the meantime, I have reset my phone to ring twice to pickup & record. I would rather use the AT&T voicemail service. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I couldn't setup online until I registered this new account. And when I tried, it required a registeration code that apparently they issue online, but was unavailble to do so. Only option was to have it sent by US mail! Oh that will take a week. So no, that route was a deadend.

However, yesterday, after spending way too much time in two seperate AT&T chats with a rep, trying different options, WALLAH, we found the answer. I have to enter my 10 digit phone into my phone to activate voicemail. Not "1", not *98", but my phone number. That was not in any included instruction, or online tutorial or any other source. After two days and much effort, i finally have my voicemail. Thanks for those who offered assistance. 

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Did you press *98 to enter the voice mail system?  Then you should be able to set up voice mail.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

*98 did not work either. I get the same "this call cannot be completed." recording. Also, the recorded messages that do make it to my AT&T cordless speakerphone/answering system E5965C, are muffled. Could it be this phone & answering system I have is not compatible with wireless? It is about 10 years old. The cordless phone is 5.8GHz digital. 

Coincidentally, when the wireless phone service kicked in, my landline DSL service went down. I was told DSL connection to my ISP would not be affected. Fortunately, I opted to also have AT&T U-verse internet but that's not being installed until 9/2. Ah, the price of upgrading!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@mkjames - I googled WF721  wireless phone system & got a list of links that explain. The second one on  the list is a manual that says dial 1 to access & set up voicemail.

Check it out.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I also googled the WF721, but the instructions are the same as what came with the unit. Dial 1 to setup your voicemail and I get "Your number cannot be completed as dialed." I also tried *98. I also unplugged the answering system and inserted a handset, dialed 1 (and *98) and got the same recording again. I then left the handest plugged into the WF721 and called in from my cell and after 4 rings, AT&T picks up with "This user has not setup their voicemail box." I would if I could! Very frustrating. Thanks. 

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Did you set your voice mail up online and did you activate your phone number?  Go to myatt.com and at the top click on voice mail and follow the prompts to set it up.  If you have any problem on the right side of the screen is a chat box and they will help you get it set up.  I had the same problem when I first set up voice mail.  My phone number was not activated and I could not use any features.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi I entered my 10 digit phone # but then it asks for passcode. This is a new phone and iv never had a passcode. Any idea what the heck I Do? I read enter last 4 of my phone number then # but thst didnt work either. Not sure how to get back here could you kindly email me at [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]@yahoo.com? Ty!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Well, where or when do I enter the 10 digit number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.