rdlouhy's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 9:09 PM

Can't record 4 shows at once.

Sometimes I can't even record 1 show. We have 4 tvs 1 is hd and last night we had 3 tvs on and got the message that we had to interupt a tv or stop a recording. Why does att say you can record 4 shows at once?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

You can record up to 4 programs at the same time.  I have done it many times.

With U-verse, you have 4 live streams that can be used in combination to watch or record TV.  When 2 or more TV's are tuned to the same channel, that counts as the use of a single stream.   If a stream is being used to watch live TV, that is one less stream that is available to record a program.

Depending on your profile, either 4, 3 or 2 of those streams can be an HD channel.  Also, depending on your profile, when you record 4 programs at the same time up to 3 or up to 2 of those recordings can be HD channels.

See your video profiles here:  MENU --> Options --> System Options --> System information --> System resources

What information do you see for Streams and Egress Profile?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Sorry for butting in, but I'm running into a similar situation. I have two SD shows scheduled to record at 10 pm on Monday, and want to add one more SD show, but the DVR is not allowing me to add any more shows to that time slot. I looked at my TV profile and it's set to 1 SD/3 HD. Is this the problem or could it be something else? Would it be faster to simply call tech support?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Apriltini wrote:

Sorry for butting in, but I'm running into a similar situation. I have two SD shows scheduled to record at 10 pm on Monday, and want to add one more SD show, but the DVR is not allowing me to add any more shows to that time slot. I looked at my TV profile and it's set to 1 SD/3 HD. Is this the problem or could it be something else? Would it be faster to simply call tech support?

With your profile, you can schedule up to 4 programs to record at the same time.  Up to 3 of those recordings can be on HD channels.  Schedule the 2 additional SD programs to record.  If a conflict is created, select Resolve conflict for that recording to see what other scheduled recordings are shown as being in conflict during that time period.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that, and saw that the problem was the previously scheduled shows were running over, so for a few minutes there WERE four shows being recorded already. I trimmed them, and everything looks good now. Thanks!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Apriltini wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that, and saw that the problem was the previously scheduled shows were running over, so for a few minutes there WERE four shows being recorded already. I trimmed them, and everything looks good now. Thanks!

Had you manually extended the time by 5 minutes on those recordings?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Yep, guilty. 😄

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Apriltini wrote:
Yep, guilty. 😄

You can probably avoiding doing those 5 minute manual extensions.  The systems uses "soft padding"  for scheduled recordings which will start the recording 1 minute prior to the scheduled start time of the program will end the recording 2 minutes after the scheduled end time of the program.  If the soft padding will result in a conflict that will cause a program to not be recorded, the soft padding is not applied.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I also have this issue. I'm supposed to have 4 streams, but I have NEVER been able to have more then 3 things going in my house: 2 sons' TVs and I have to watch whatever is recording. This aggravates me so much! When I had Verizon FiOS, there was no limit! I could only record 2 at once, but I could have every TV in the house on HD and had NO PROBLEMS! I have to limit my HDTV watching every single night at least once... 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Mine does not work like this. I've never been able to use more than 3 streams.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Is there any plan to increase the capacity on the HD "streams" on my TV? I shouldn't have to limit my TV watching this much. What does the evolution path show for fixing this in the near future?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.