For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Monday, May 18th, 2015 7:44 PM

Caller id not showing on phones since tech replaced gateway with Arris NVG589

Had a tech here a couple of weeks back for some tv picture distortion issues.  He swapped out the RG with a new Arris NVG589, and changed from coax feed to using a phone line pair.  TV works fine but since then I have no caller id on my Panasonic phones which used to work.  I have a Pro Call blocker in the line, and the caller id shows there, and also shows on the TV when I have it on.  Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

What is exact model number for the call blocker? There may be two ways to install it.

A "series" connection would block all calls from coming to the rest of the telephones until the blocker accepted them.

"Parallel" allows the ring to come through so that it can be displayed on the downstream phones.

I have quotes because these options may occur based on wiring or buttons. So many blockers are available.

Check your manual or post your model & I will look it up. You could also try it without the blocker, just as a test.

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

9 years ago

Caller ID worked before the wiring and RG change.  Model is CT-CID 803

Thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I won't be able to look at that til later today. In the meantime, I was facinated/distracted by the call blocker & forgot the basics -

To see if it is an att problem or an in-house problem -  Connect a tel that you know works directly to the tel jack on the modem. If there is no CID it is an att problem. You can try a pull the plug reboot on the modem before reporting it to att.

You can try this with the Panansonic & if it works, you know it is house wiring, including the call blocker. If it does not work, the problem is still unknown. You could verify the Panasonic on someone elses service to narrow eliminate it as causing the problem.

Once down to house wiring & the call blocker, it is a matter of eliminating piece by piece to see what works.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

@lwoxen_1 wrote:

Had a tech here a couple of weeks back for some tv picture distortion issues.  He swapped out the RG with a new Arris NVG589, and changed from coax feed to using a phone line pair.  TV works fine but since then I have no caller id on my Panasonic phones which used to work.  I have a Pro Call blocker in the line, and the caller id shows there, and also shows on the TV when I have it on.  Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

If the caller ID shows on the call blocker that would indicate to me that caller ID is working from AT&T.  I would take the call blocker out of the circuit and try the suggestion from @aviewer to plug the Panasonic base station directly into the Arris NVG 589 phone port.  If it still doesn't work, their might be a compatibility issue between the Panasonic and NVG589.  

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Looks like that CID is one of the basic/simpler ones & not much available about it. They sell a splitter to connect it, so it is a simple parallel application.

The only wiring thing I can think of is the installer accidentally used a two line splitter instead of a two set splitter. But, then the phone would not work at all.

Best to use the basic testing in my last post.

@Anonymous, @lwoxen_1

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.