lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Good point. Can we do a "-1 Kudo"? Really: I don't answer the phone - but just telling me to live with it is not a valid customer service response.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm getting tired of these calls too.

When we lived in Virginia, our only phone service option was Verizon, and they had a feature called "Do Not Disturb", which allowed you to have 10 preset numbers that would automatically ring through, but you could give a 4-digit code to anyone else and those would ring through also.  To anyone who didn't have the code, a recorded message would tell them we weren't taking calls.  

I sure wish AT&T would come out with something like this.  It stopped ALL phone solicitations, wrong numbers, etc.  I'd gladly pay $4.99 a month to have it again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have a Panasonic wireless home phone system and it provides for 30 numbers to block. It takes the singled digit as allowed to block. Same thing happened to me after I got U-Verse a few weeks ago but I was able to then add it to my Panasonic phone's block list. Work's like a charm.

Teacher

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Privacy manager was the perfect solution on my original ATT phone line. I don't understand why they cannot implement it with U-Verse. I was told because it was VOIP and there was no switch to route it through. I don't know enough about telephones to know if that's really true.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same problem.  They've now started bombing my cell phone too.  The problem is that there is no one on the other end.  I think it's some kind of automated system.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I agree...there is no one at the other end, either.  So, we can't block "1" and it will ring continously if we don't pick it up and hang up immediately.  This is very troubling because someone is getting away with some sort of monitoring system and we have no control over this or how/why this is being done.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I shouldn't think this is funny because it's really not, but I had to laugh a bit when you said it's probably political.  It sure seems as if this is some sort of monitoring device that ticks up a number if they successfully reach someone at home...or not?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for that link.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Well....you can try ignoring it; use the "extinction theory", but remember that it's not for the faint at heart.  Also, Unavailable 1 is very practiced on those who have short frustration tolerances and will continue until you pick up and hang up, then eventually after 2 or 3 more tries, "they" will stop. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I had an extended text live chat with a Uverse customer service rep about this problem, and after going up a rung or two in the service levels, I got a rep to write a tech support ticket about blocking "Unavailable 1" from ringing my phone.  About an hour later I received a voice mail on my home phone from an AT&T tech who said he had added "1" to my blacklist of phone numbers to block.  It worked!  I have checked my call log a couple of times a day since then.  The first day, "1" was blocked six times.  Three times each the second and third day.  I am so happy!  So it can be done -- just not by the user -- you have to call or do web chat and be persistent, and they will fix it for you.  Every user should do this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.