lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

@twistedpair wrote:

Just don't answer the call. I guess with answers like that I would be a Master Guru. Or here's another one PM Alex he'll fix it. Or even better yet "suck it up".  With answers like that I could really increase my postings on this forum and get the Master Guru under my nic. Let someone from ATT answer these questions there premi tech on here that work for ATT that could give a better responce than " don't answer the call" . Very lame !!!

You can either take the advice of those who post on here to help other customers or not.  You're not going to get any better answer from anyone at AT&T because there is NOTHING they can do about it.  It doesn't matter who you have for your phone provider, there are too many ways around call blocking and no telephone provider can provide a "cure all"

As for PM Alex, yes that is the best advice for account specific issues since none of us work for AT&T and don't have access to those types of records.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

It's really disappointing that AT&T isn't doing anything about this... it's illegal to spoof caller ID--AT&T should not only be blocking these calls, they should be collecting the info of where the calls are coming from (i.e., which VOIP provider) to forward to the authorities.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

And if the call didn't originate on AT&T's network, how are they supposed to know that the caller ID was spoofed?

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

12 years ago

JefferMC, wouldn't the specific value "1" be a really, really good clue that it was spoofed?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

Maybe, but I get legitimate calls from "002" on occasion, from numbers that usually give me correct caller ID.  It's not because it's blocked, it just failed to report properly.  And, no, this is not on AT&T U-verse, this is on my office system.

Yes, I do think that steps could be taken by whatever company provides the caller's connection to the POTS network to force correct Caller ID.  However, I know most of them won't.  My service allows the PBX to send whatever caller ID it wants, and occasionally we've made mistakes setting them up.  We had to catch it when someone got a call from us and asked why the caller ID was wrong.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hi, I found this post via Google when trying to find out about this very same thing. Has anyone actually answered the phone calls from this number? Because I have a few times, and I just get silence and I can hear them hanging up on me. I know it can't be someone using *67 to block their phone number since I tried that on my cell phone and it says "private name, private number". However when these people call, it says "Unknown name" and the number "1". What could this be?? A company or some individual person who is trying to call but keeps pranking me or wanting to talk to someone else other than me? Please help. Thank you.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@christinmarie88 wrote:

Hi, I found this post via Google when trying to find out about this very same thing. Has anyone actually answered the phone calls from this number? Because I have a few times, and I just get silence and I can hear them hanging up on me. I know it can't be someone using *67 to block their phone number since I tried that on my cell phone and it says "private name, private number". However when these people call, it says "Unknown name" and the number "1". What could this be?? A company or some individual person who is trying to call but keeps pranking me or wanting to talk to someone else other than me? Please help. Thank you.

Do you have U-verse voice?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@christinmarie88 wrote:

Do you have U-verse voice?

Yep!

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

I think I might have a answer to this. I've noticed that all of the time, the caller id will show 1 in front of the Area code and phone when you have U-verse voice(must be so it can be easier to call long distance or in an are like Houston, across town). The phone number doesn't get disclosed in caller id, leaving a "1" underneath an unavailable. If caller id unit is at default, that happens(I check my corded phone with caller id to make sure). I wouldn't all that much about since if you try to dial it, it's not going anywhere. Caller Id units on phones haven't changed all that much since they where introduced in the 1990's.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

It seems to me ATT should be able to easily fix this problem by simply allowing any 1 thru 10 digit number in the "blocked" phone number field we are allowed to enter up to 20 blocked numbers in.

Right now, they have the field defined as fixed in length and 10 numeric digits but I would think they should be able to easily change this field to make it a variable length field from 1 to 10 digits. That way we could just add "1" as one of the blocked phone numbers. OR perhaps simply allow a 1 with 9 spaces after it to be entered which get stripped when it does it's compare to the incoming caller id when deciding if the call should be blocked or not.

Has anyone suggested something like this to AT&T yet?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.