docbombay's profile

Guru

• 

1K Messages

Monday, April 25th, 2011 6:30 PM

Closed

Blocking a Spoofed Telemarketing Number?

In the past several days, I have received several calls from "000-000-0000" which would appear to be a phony number which has been spoofed by telemarketers to fool caller ID.   I have not answered any of these calls.  Initial internet research (including our forum) suggests to me that this number cannot be blocked in U-voice settings (since it is not the actual number in use); nor can one trace the actual number or company calling.  I thought I'd throw this out to the forum to see if any of our members have any new ideas or experience with this--if not, I'll be forced to try answering the next call with enough "hospitality" so as to be removed from their list!

docbombay 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708****** and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

Are there any solutions to this problem?  I find lots of complaints on various websites, but no solutions.  Thanks for any help.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@philkensebben wrote:

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708 ******* and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

Are there any solutions to this problem?  I find lots of complaints on various websites, but no solutions.  Thanks for any help.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I usually look up an unknown number on whocallsme.com

Others have posted on the above website about receiving calls from this telemarketer so I doubt that having Uverse has anything to do with it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

For the last two days, my phone has rung relentlessly with a number with an 818 area code (818-347-4733).  I called it back, and found it goes to a company in California, where the employee has been receiving calls from people in the 414 area code (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) with her number--goes to Shredded.com--and asking why she is calling them.  She reported that if someone gets this caller on the line, it is a scam, and the employee has reported that the caller threatens to send the sheriff to people in Milwaukee he is targeting.  This person is likely looking to clean out bank accounts.  So far, all we have received are hang-up calls.  I think we should get these numbers and report on them so that google searches can pull up what is going on.  This may scare them off from using that number.  Law enforcement will do nothing--until there is a victim, but for some reason, those of us trying to prevent there being a victim are not getting a lot of encouragement.  Why would real businesses, even telemarketers, provide no method to return their calls?  Don't assume caller id spoofers are legitimate.  My guess is that they are criminals.  Keep track of what they do, and don't give personal information.  Maybe if they think you are on to them, they leave you alone.  Crooks above all do not want to get caught nor waste time with those not vulernable. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

This does not work. Call blocking says it's not a phone number and won't recognize it.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@jesselau wrote:

This does not work. Call blocking says it's not a phone number and won't recognize it.

What did you mean by "this?"  You were the 15th post on this thread, and this could have been anything mentioned in the other 14 posts.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

View profile
Solved
Apr 25, 2011 11:41:51 AM

ACE - Expert

I used to received calls from the same number.  I entered "000-000-0000" into my list of blocked numbers, and I have receive no calls since from that number.  Have you tried entering the number into your blocked numbers list?

This doesn't work. I get the message that only ten numbers can be entered.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Try signing on with "NOMOROBO".  This is a FREE service for individuals which intercepts your incoming calls and then blocks "robo" type calls, while allowing normal calls to pass through to your phone. 

U-verse apparently endorses this.

I have been blocking calls with Uverse for several years and that works, but, I have to keep changing the blocked numbers since the robo callers continually change their numbers. 

I only recently signed on with Nomorobo and it seems to be working.  Haven't had a robo call for several days since signing on.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

A couple of suggestions that I use.  You can send all calls to voice mail and then return the calls you want to talk to.  Your phone will not ring because voice mail answers before the first ring.  Another suggestions is you can list up to 20 numbers of people you wish to receive calls from and all other calls will get a busy signal.  Hope this helps

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Somehow, that web site listed under "problem solved" (for spoofed calls) has been taken down.  Hmmm, I just wonder how THAT came to be.  another CONSPIRACY?

• 

44 Messages

7 years ago

Due to the age of the OP, this topic has been closed to new replies. If you wish to discuss a similar issue, then please post a new message on the board that best matches the subject that you wish to discuss. Thanks!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.