U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 25, 2011
11:30:39 AM
Blocking a Spoofed Telemarketing Number?

In the past several days, I have received several calls from "000-000-0000" which would appear to be a phony number which has been spoofed by telemarketers to fool caller ID.   I have not answered any of these calls.  Initial internet research (including our forum) suggests to me that this number cannot be blocked in U-voice settings (since it is not the actual number in use); nor can one trace the actual number or company calling.  I thought I'd throw this out to the forum to see if any of our members have any new ideas or experience with this--if not, I'll be forced to try answering the next call with enough "hospitality" so as to be removed from their list!

docbombay 

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

In the past several days, I have received several calls from "000-000-0000" which would appear to be a phony number which has been spoofed by telemarketers to fool caller ID.   I have not answered any of these calls.  Initial internet research (including our forum) suggests to me that this number cannot be blocked in U-voice settings (since it is not the actual number in use); nor can one trace the actual number or company calling.  I thought I'd throw this out to the forum to see if any of our members have any new ideas or experience with this--if not, I'll be forced to try answering the next call with enough "hospitality" so as to be removed from their list!

docbombay 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 25, 2011 11:41:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I used to received calls from the same number.  I entered "000-000-0000" into my list of blocked numbers, and I have receive no calls since from that number.  Have you tried entering the number into your blocked numbers list?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 25, 2011 11:41:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I used to received calls from the same number.  I entered "000-000-0000" into my list of blocked numbers, and I have receive no calls since from that number.  Have you tried entering the number into your blocked numbers list?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Blocking a Spoofed Telemarketing Number?

2 of 14 (11,503 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 12:06:20 PM
(0)
Guru

Not yet, TG--other homework I did suggested that blocking would not be effective since the actual phone number being called from is not available and is represented as 000-000-0000 through spoofing caller ID.  But you can't argue with success (especially from someone extremely knowledgeable), so I'll try blocking in U-voice settings.  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

docbombay

--Albert Einstein

Not yet, TG--other homework I did suggested that blocking would not be effective since the actual phone number being called from is not available and is represented as 000-000-0000 through spoofing caller ID.  But you can't argue with success (especially from someone extremely knowledgeable), so I'll try blocking in U-voice settings.  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

docbombay

3 of 14 (11,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 3:03:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by jfw on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:05:11 PM

I received maybe one or two calls from that particular number over the last 8 months. I did as TG suggested and entered it into the blocked numbers list some time ago, so far I have not received any more of these calls. Since these calls came so few and far between, I don't know if the blocking worked or the telemarketer gave up.:smileywink:

I received maybe one or two calls from that particular number over the last 8 months. I did as TG suggested and entered it into the blocked numbers list some time ago, so far I have not received any more of these calls. Since these calls came so few and far between, I don't know if the blocking worked or the telemarketer gave up.:smileywink:

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (11,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 3:15:54 PM
(0)
Guru

Well, it's blocked now, so only time will tell.  

docbombay

--Albert Einstein

Well, it's blocked now, so only time will tell.  

docbombay

5 of 14 (11,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 11:22:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Its not always a telemarketer I have answered the all zero spoof and it was from the Waco VA Regional Office

Its not always a telemarketer I have answered the all zero spoof and it was from the Waco VA Regional Office

6 of 14 (11,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 1:32:26 PM
(0)
Guru

Well, it's been close to two weeks and no all zero spoofed calls since blocking as TG suggested.  So far, so good!  And while I don't doubt Pete53FR, I'll assume that most such calls would be unwanted since they feel the need to hide their identity in this manner. If they're actually legitimate, I guess they'll have to send a letter!

docbombay

--Albert Einstein

Well, it's been close to two weeks and no all zero spoofed calls since blocking as TG suggested.  So far, so good!  And while I don't doubt Pete53FR, I'll assume that most such calls would be unwanted since they feel the need to hide their identity in this manner. If they're actually legitimate, I guess they'll have to send a letter!

docbombay

7 of 14 (11,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 8:25:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Call blocking no help. ATT no help. Some Spanish speaking guy or woman from Texas. 254 467 8558. Been calling for years. Why should I have to change my phone number? ATT should get off their rumps and deal with this. This is a notorious number. Do not call list also useless. I suspect call originates in Mexico.

Call blocking no help. ATT no help. Some Spanish speaking guy or woman from Texas. 254 467 8558. Been calling for years. Why should I have to change my phone number? ATT should get off their rumps and deal with this. This is a notorious number. Do not call list also useless. I suspect call originates in Mexico.

8 of 14 (10,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 8:49:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

myrichunclehenry wrote:

Do you have U-verse voice?

myrichunclehenry wrote:

Do you have U-verse voice?

9 of 14 (10,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:42:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

blocking a nine didget spoof number would be easy, but try to block a 1 didget number.  I came accross a service that your calls will rought through, and force the spoof number to verify itself.  Unfortunately can't find it now.  Also the How to web site covers how to stop spoofing, but it requires a trap line, what ever that is.  Any info will help.

blocking a nine didget spoof number would be easy, but try to block a 1 didget number.  I came accross a service that your calls will rought through, and force the spoof number to verify itself.  Unfortunately can't find it now.  Also the How to web site covers how to stop spoofing, but it requires a trap line, what ever that is.  Any info will help.

10 of 14 (10,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 9:13:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Trapcall.com?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Trapcall.com?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

11 of 14 (10,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 3:05:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:10:31 PM

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708****** and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

Are there any solutions to this problem?  I find lots of complaints on various websites, but no solutions.  Thanks for any help.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708****** and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

Are there any solutions to this problem?  I find lots of complaints on various websites, but no solutions.  Thanks for any help.

[ Edited ]
12 of 14 (9,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 3:55:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:11:07 PM

philkensebben wrote:

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708 ******* and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

I usually look up an unknown number on whocallsme.com

Others have posted on the above website about receiving calls from this telemarketer so I doubt that having Uverse has anything to do with it.

philkensebben wrote:

Has anyone here been receiving calls from a scammer pretending to be from ComEd?  They use 708 ******* and many other numbers, not all in the same area code--I'm sure they're spoofing well over the 20 number limit of call blocking.  I never received a call from these bums when I had POTS, but after switching to Uverse, I've been getting many calls day and night.  In desperation, I've had to resort to call screening, but it's not particularly satisfactory, because now I have no ability to decide if a specific new caller might indeed be legit.

I usually look up an unknown number on whocallsme.com

Others have posted on the above website about receiving calls from this telemarketer so I doubt that having Uverse has anything to do with it.

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (9,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 1:14:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

For the last two days, my phone has rung relentlessly with a number with an 818 area code (818-347-4733).  I called it back, and found it goes to a company in California, where the employee has been receiving calls from people in the 414 area code (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) with her number--goes to Shredded.com--and asking why she is calling them.  She reported that if someone gets this caller on the line, it is a scam, and the employee has reported that the caller threatens to send the sheriff to people in Milwaukee he is targeting.  This person is likely looking to clean out bank accounts.  So far, all we have received are hang-up calls.  I think we should get these numbers and report on them so that google searches can pull up what is going on.  This may scare them off from using that number.  Law enforcement will do nothing--until there is a victim, but for some reason, those of us trying to prevent there being a victim are not getting a lot of encouragement.  Why would real businesses, even telemarketers, provide no method to return their calls?  Don't assume caller id spoofers are legitimate.  My guess is that they are criminals.  Keep track of what they do, and don't give personal information.  Maybe if they think you are on to them, they leave you alone.  Crooks above all do not want to get caught nor waste time with those not vulernable. 

For the last two days, my phone has rung relentlessly with a number with an 818 area code (818-347-4733).  I called it back, and found it goes to a company in California, where the employee has been receiving calls from people in the 414 area code (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) with her number--goes to Shredded.com--and asking why she is calling them.  She reported that if someone gets this caller on the line, it is a scam, and the employee has reported that the caller threatens to send the sheriff to people in Milwaukee he is targeting.  This person is likely looking to clean out bank accounts.  So far, all we have received are hang-up calls.  I think we should get these numbers and report on them so that google searches can pull up what is going on.  This may scare them off from using that number.  Law enforcement will do nothing--until there is a victim, but for some reason, those of us trying to prevent there being a victim are not getting a lot of encouragement.  Why would real businesses, even telemarketers, provide no method to return their calls?  Don't assume caller id spoofers are legitimate.  My guess is that they are criminals.  Keep track of what they do, and don't give personal information.  Maybe if they think you are on to them, they leave you alone.  Crooks above all do not want to get caught nor waste time with those not vulernable. 

14 of 14 (3,456 Views)