docbombay's profile

Guru

• 

1K Messages

Monday, April 25th, 2011 6:30 PM

Closed

Blocking a Spoofed Telemarketing Number?

In the past several days, I have received several calls from "000-000-0000" which would appear to be a phony number which has been spoofed by telemarketers to fool caller ID.   I have not answered any of these calls.  Initial internet research (including our forum) suggests to me that this number cannot be blocked in U-voice settings (since it is not the actual number in use); nor can one trace the actual number or company calling.  I thought I'd throw this out to the forum to see if any of our members have any new ideas or experience with this--if not, I'll be forced to try answering the next call with enough "hospitality" so as to be removed from their list!

docbombay 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

I used to received calls from the same number.  I entered "000-000-0000" into my list of blocked numbers, and I have receive no calls since from that number.  Have you tried entering the number into your blocked numbers list?

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Not yet, TG--other homework I did suggested that blocking would not be effective since the actual phone number being called from is not available and is represented as 000-000-0000 through spoofing caller ID.  But you can't argue with success (especially from someone extremely knowledgeable), so I'll try blocking in U-voice settings.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

docbombay

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

I received maybe one or two calls from that particular number over the last 8 months. I did as TG suggested and entered it into the blocked numbers list some time ago, so far I have not received any more of these calls. Since these calls came so few and far between, I don't know if the blocking worked or the telemarketer gave up.:smileywink:

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Well, it's blocked now, so only time will tell.  

docbombay

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Its not always a telemarketer I have answered the all zero spoof and it was from the Waco VA Regional Office

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Well, it's been close to two weeks and no all zero spoofed calls since blocking as TG suggested.  So far, so good!  And while I don't doubt Pete53FR, I'll assume that most such calls would be unwanted since they feel the need to hide their identity in this manner. If they're actually legitimate, I guess they'll have to send a letter!

docbombay

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Call blocking no help. ATT no help. Some Spanish speaking guy or woman from Texas. 254 467 8558. Been calling for years. Why should I have to change my phone number? ATT should get off their rumps and deal with this. This is a notorious number. Do not call list also useless. I suspect call originates in Mexico.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@myrichunclehenry wrote:

Call blocking no help. ATT no help. Some Spanish speaking guy or woman from Texas. 254 467 8558. Been calling for years. Why should I have to change my phone number? ATT should get off their rumps and deal with this. This is a notorious number. Do not call list also useless. I suspect call originates in Mexico.

Do you have U-verse voice?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

blocking a nine didget spoof number would be easy, but try to block a 1 didget number.  I came accross a service that your calls will rought through, and force the spoof number to verify itself.  Unfortunately can't find it now.  Also the How to web site covers how to stop spoofing, but it requires a trap line, what ever that is.  Any info will help.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Trapcall.com?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.