For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
flhthemi's profile

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

Saturday, February 8th, 2014 3:55 PM

Block one local IP from One PC

Here is my situation:

LG 55LM7600 TV

PC Running a Media Server (PlayOn from MediaMall)

New NVG589 Installation

The problem:

The LG TV is gleanning info from the server about what content is available for a list it displays on the TV. This is a list of recently played media, pictures, video and music. It allows one to click on any of the items in the list and play them and you can NOT turn this function OFF on the TVs setup.

The media server (PlayOn) utilizes LUA 3rd party scripts to access content on the internet. These scripts/plugins have a FAVORITES feature to mark a video you see that you want to play later. So you mark it and the script/plugin saves the info to an ASCII .txt file.

The TV is accessing these files and corrupting them by writing the data it gleans from the scripts to the txt files, which in turn eventually crashes the server over a period of several hours/days. (It's pretty random). I KNOW it's the TV doing it because I have removed it from the network completely by blocking the MAC ID with the router. This ends ALL the problems. BUT now I can't access the internet with the TV, I can't access the TV from a Android device to remote control it and I can't get firmware updates to the TV. Matter of fact, the TV can't do anything on the network because it can't get into the router.

So I need a way to block the TV's IP into the PC that is the server. Makes no difference to me how it's done. Even if I have to put a router behind the 589. I just need to know HOW to isolate that TV from the PC serving my media.

HELP!! 🙂

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Take a look at this and see if it might get you what you want: http://www.serverintellect.com/support/windowsserversecurity/ipsec-blockip/

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

flhthemi -
I found this menu in the user manual that seems to indicate that you could remove the PC from the TVs connected to list -

To❐manage❐LG❐Smart❐TV❐settings
HOME❐➾❐Settings❐➙❐OPTION❐➙❐Smart❐TV❐Setting Sets many Smart TV-related settings and manages IDs.

Smart TV Country ---- Changes the Country Setting on the Smart TV. Receives Premium service and LG Smart World of the desired country.
Premium Version --- Displays Premium service version.
ID List --- Checks and delete IDs signed in to TV.
Reset --- Deletes all registered ID information from TV.
Legal Notice --- Shows Legal Notice for Smart TV.

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

10 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

Take a look at this and see if it might get you what you want: http://www.serverintellect.com/support/windowsserversecurity/ipsec-blockip/

This would probably work but Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't have secpol.msc!

Is there some 3rd party software or another way???

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer

This won't work either as my LM7600 doesn't have those options once you drill down to Smart Shrare you only have options to set the name of the TV, Share My TV,  Autoplay on receive or register with DivX.

😞 Good try though!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

flhthemi - I think I might call LG and say my TV is missing options. Please download the update that contains them. If they say no tell them your tale & ask for their solution.

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

10 years ago

Well it has the latest Firmware installed on it so I think you may be looking at the wrong manual? Do you have a link to the manual you're looking at?

OK I have just finished upgrading Win 7 to Ultimate. Now I have the secpro.msc. It is different in Win 7 and what the link leads to is probably XP and I can't get it to take the info it keeps telling me it needs a valid IP which I told it was the IP of the TV and My Ip as the destination. Still I'm missing something all I can get is this popup window  "A Valid IP Filter List Must Be Selected"  when I get to step 19....it's way different on my screen....

EDIT: Ok I just wasn't ticking a radio button next to the desired rule looks like it accepted it. Now to see if the TV is actually blocked I will go try to access the PlayOn media server with it!

EDIT: This worked a charm! The TV doesn't even see the PlayOn Server now! Both are online so I should be good to go!

Thanks so much BeeBeeSA !!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.