For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ame8199's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 11:26 PM

Aspect Ratio and new Vizio TV

So I bought a brand new 37 inch 1080p Vizio tv.  I read tips to change the aspect ration to 1080i within the Uverse menu.  I did that and the screen is wonderful! The only problem I see is when I go to the guide, it seems too big to fit in the screen.  I can't see all of my guide.  Is there another setting that Im missing?  If I go to any other settings such as widescreen, it looks ok, but I get the black bars.  

I hope this makes sense.  I guess If I have to, I'll take pictures of the guide.  Thanks

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Did you remove the coaxial cable connecting the U-verse box to the TV?  Are you selecting the HDMI input when you view the TV?  On the Vizio TV, are you using any Zoom settings for the screen size?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Its not the settings within Uverse, I believe it the settings within my Vizio TV.  

I have removed my coaxial and the setting on my uverse is in 1080i.  

If I do use the Zoom or Scretch setting on my TV I get a full screen, but an oversized channel menu.

If I use Wide or Normal on my TV, I get normal channel menu, but the black pillars.  

Am I stuck with the black Pillars?  

ACE - Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

13 years ago

@ame8199 wrote:

If I dont have HD programing, is it worth buying the component or HDMI cable?  Do I have a choice between one or the other? Could I use either a component or HDMI?  I only have 1 component and wanted to use that for my Wii, since I have my composite filled by my DVD player. 

Are you paying for the HD programing package?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

No I am not paying for HD service. 

Do I have the pillars because I am not watching an HD channel?  Sorry this is all new to me..

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Do not use the Zoom settings on the TV, it will cause the U-verse menu to be oversized.  If you wish to fill the TV screen with the picture on SD channels (channels 1 - 999), press the ENTER (ZOOM) button in the lower right hand corner of the U-verse remote.  Press the left and right arrow buttons to move between the Favorite Channels, Zoom and Audio Language menus.  On the Zoom menu, select Stretch and press OK.  The picture on the SD channels will be stretched to fill the wide screen.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

holy cow! I knew I was missing something! That was exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you so much.  Everything is good now 🙂 

I have Ubasic....If I added HD programming...Would I get more channels?  or would it just make the channels I have HD? 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

If you pay $10 for the HD service, you will get the HD version of the channels that you currently subscribe to.  If you would like to check out the HD service, you should be able to call U-verse and arrange to get a free trial so that you can see if it is something that you would like to subscribe to.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

13 years ago

Don't go for the monoprice cables their connections aren't quite as nice as the ones you will find here:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hdmi+1.4&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4708&rt=nc&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=10&_sc=1

You will get HDMI 1.4 cable with really nice ends and the 1.4 specification will ensure that you won't have to repurchase cables if you end up getting a 3D Blu-ray player or something that requires the ethernet spec.  They are about the same price if not cheaper.  I use them for all my TVs because the monoprice cables kept falling out of the sockets of the televisions.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

If you look above in the thread, you will see that the OP already has the cables.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I get all my cables from monoprice and have yet to see any problems.  Am I lucky?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.