Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 7, 2014
11:25:39 AM
View profile
Any News on Meger

Been any updates on the Uverse/ Directv deal .  

Been any updates on the Uverse/ Directv deal .  

Any News on Meger

58 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 11:54:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is the most recent thing I have seen about it.

Keep in mind that even if both companies agree, it has to go through the FCC and the Department of Justice (to make sure TV and broadband don't turn into monopolies).  Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

This is the most recent thing I have seen about it.

Keep in mind that even if both companies agree, it has to go through the FCC and the Department of Justice (to make sure TV and broadband don't turn into monopolies).  Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

Re: Any News on Meger

2 of 59 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 3:12:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That Don Guy wrote:

... Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

More than two:

SouthWestern Bell (which is really the basis of what is now called AT&T), PacBell, BellSouth, Ameritech, and LD service.  It's probably at least a third of the original AT&T.

That Don Guy wrote:

... Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

More than two:

SouthWestern Bell (which is really the basis of what is now called AT&T), PacBell, BellSouth, Ameritech, and LD service.  It's probably at least a third of the original AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 59 (2,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 5:53:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by bowling_255 on May 12, 2014 at 5:54:09 PM

According to this story AT&T will buy directv for $50 billion. Offical announcement could come within the next two weeks.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/t-offer-100-share-directv-bloomberg-213823239--sector.html

According to this story AT&T will buy directv for $50 billion. Offical announcement could come within the next two weeks.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/t-offer-100-share-directv-bloomberg-213823239--sector.html

[ Edited ]
4 of 59 (1,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2014 10:32:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

If the deal goes through, that means that AT&T will shut down its U-verse service and rely solely on DirecTV's satellite service.  AT&T could use its soon-to-be former U-verse service to increase Internet bandwidth instead.

Does that mean that networks currently on U-verse that are not on DirecTV could be dropped?  Pac-12 and BBC World News are two of many examples.

If that happened, that would kill my reason for returning to U-verse early next year.

If the deal goes through, that means that AT&T will shut down its U-verse service and rely solely on DirecTV's satellite service.  AT&T could use its soon-to-be former U-verse service to increase Internet bandwidth instead.

Does that mean that networks currently on U-verse that are not on DirecTV could be dropped?  Pac-12 and BBC World News are two of many examples.

If that happened, that would kill my reason for returning to U-verse early next year.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

5 of 59 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2014 10:38:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

Please show us your source for this information. Do you have a link?

It looks like there is going to be a merger. Skeeterintexas found this link, and posted it on another thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/17/att-directv-sunday-announcement/9215735/

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

It looks like there is going to be a merger. Skeeterintexas found this link, and posted it on another thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/17/att-directv-sunday-announcement/9215735/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 59 (1,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 5:17:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Looks like this is going to be a long haul process according to Bloomberg
ATT to acquire Direct

"Under the plan being discussed, management of DirecTV, the largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, will continue to run the company as a unit of AT&T

Looks like this is going to be a long haul process according to Bloomberg
ATT to acquire Direct

"Under the plan being discussed, management of DirecTV, the largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, will continue to run the company as a unit of AT&T

7 of 59 (1,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 7:50:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

The day that happens is the day I will drop UVerse like a hot potatoe. I've had both Dish and Direct and will never again have a satellite tv provider.  Too many variables and the weather in Texas can get too severe for me NOT to have a reliable TV service.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

The day that happens is the day I will drop UVerse like a hot potatoe. I've had both Dish and Direct and will never again have a satellite tv provider.  Too many variables and the weather in Texas can get too severe for me NOT to have a reliable TV service.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

8 of 59 (1,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 9:52:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

If Uverse goes to satilite only that would be a deal breaker for me because my house has to many trees aroundi it can't support satilite dish .

If Uverse goes to satilite only that would be a deal breaker for me because my house has to many trees aroundi it can't support satilite dish .

9 of 59 (1,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 10:07:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't think Uverse is going to give up its wireless reciever serivce Directv just wants help with internet and phone service IMO .

I don't think Uverse is going to give up its wireless reciever serivce Directv just wants help with internet and phone service IMO .

10 of 59 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 2:52:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

at&t ....directv

12 of 59 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 4:32:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

The positive i see in this is Uverse could have upper hand in contract TV deals maybe see Hallmark channels return and maybe NHL network . 

The positive i see in this is Uverse could have upper hand in contract TV deals maybe see Hallmark channels return and maybe NHL network . 

Re: at&t ....directv

13 of 59 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 6:15:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by bill4002 on May 18, 2014 at 6:27:59 PM

If the deal is approved, there is no doubt in my mind that the nhl network will soon return as direct tv is known for its extensive sports coverage. My question is, would uverse still exist for tv viewing, as I live in an apt. complex and am unable to put up a dish, and since direct tv is the only one that carries NFL Sunday Ticket, would the sunday ticket be available for uverse customers?

If the deal is approved, there is no doubt in my mind that the nhl network will soon return as direct tv is known for its extensive sports coverage. My question is, would uverse still exist for tv viewing, as I live in an apt. complex and am unable to put up a dish, and since direct tv is the only one that carries NFL Sunday Ticket, would the sunday ticket be available for uverse customers?

Re: at&t ....directv

[ Edited ]
14 of 59 (1,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 6:17:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I hope that I am misinterpreting this sentence, but it sounds like that if the merger goes through, it will be the end of U-Verse as we know it. We will all have to switch to satellite.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/05/att_agrees_to_buy_directv_what.html

"AT&T currently offers a high-speed Internet plan in a bundle with DirecTV television service. The acquisition would help it further reap the benefits of that alliance. AT&T could also use the deal to improve its Internet service by pushing its existing U-verse TV subscribers into DirecTV's video-over-satellite service, freeing up bandwidth on its telecommunications network."

If this sentence is saying what I think it is saying, it looks like i will be a Charter subscriber which i do not want to do.

I hope that I am misinterpreting this sentence, but it sounds like that if the merger goes through, it will be the end of U-Verse as we know it. We will all have to switch to satellite.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/05/att_agrees_to_buy_directv_what.html

"AT&T currently offers a high-speed Internet plan in a bundle with DirecTV television service. The acquisition would help it further reap the benefits of that alliance. AT&T could also use the deal to improve its Internet service by pushing its existing U-verse TV subscribers into DirecTV's video-over-satellite service, freeing up bandwidth on its telecommunications network."

If this sentence is saying what I think it is saying, it looks like i will be a Charter subscriber which i do not want to do.

15 of 59 (1,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 6:27:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jhy1978 on May 18, 2014 at 6:31:03 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/18/att-buys-directv/

"DirecTV has the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket and other premium programming, so there's a chance that much of its content could reach U-verse and other AT&T offerings."

I don't think that will happen, right now U-verse is going very profitable for the company and I don't see them abandoning that. They said Directv will continue to run independantly for at least 3 years after the merger. If anything I could see NFL Sunday Ticket, MB Extra Innings, etc. coming to U-Verse. But keep in mind the deal wont close for around 12 months and thats if it is approved by the FCC. If anything it should enhance the U-verse TV service and not kill it, but maybe I'm wishfully thinking lol

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/18/att-buys-directv/

"DirecTV has the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket and other premium programming, so there's a chance that much of its content could reach U-verse and other AT&T offerings."

I don't think that will happen, right now U-verse is going very profitable for the company and I don't see them abandoning that. They said Directv will continue to run independantly for at least 3 years after the merger. If anything I could see NFL Sunday Ticket, MB Extra Innings, etc. coming to U-Verse. But keep in mind the deal wont close for around 12 months and thats if it is approved by the FCC. If anything it should enhance the U-verse TV service and not kill it, but maybe I'm wishfully thinking lol

[ Edited ]
16 of 59 (1,678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 6:44:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

DTVs exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket expire at the end of next season.

DTVs exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket expire at the end of next season.

17 of 59 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 6:51:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

I thought they just renewed it last year?

I thought they just renewed it last year?

18 of 59 (1,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

19 of 59 (1,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 7:11:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
I know that the NFL is in negotiations for NFL Sunday Ticket. If you can provide a link showing that their has been an extension with DTV I would love to see it.
I know that the NFL is in negotiations for NFL Sunday Ticket. If you can provide a link showing that their has been an extension with DTV I would love to see it.

20 of 59 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

21 of 59 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 7:23:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

I hope this not true that Uverse is going to satilite dish i don't want switch to Charter i hated it .

I hope this not true that Uverse is going to satilite dish i don't want switch to Charter i hated it .

22 of 59 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 9:37:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

dwinth wrote:

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-att-deal-20140517-story.html

For AT&T, acquiring DirecTV would give it the opportunity to shut down its much smaller U-Verse television service, which it delivers through its fiber lines.  Such a move would let AT&T use DirecTV for television service and free up AT&T's fiber lines to increase broadband speeds to U-Verse customers.

dwinth wrote:

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-att-deal-20140517-story.html

For AT&T, acquiring DirecTV would give it the opportunity to shut down its much smaller U-Verse television service, which it delivers through its fiber lines.  Such a move would let AT&T use DirecTV for television service and free up AT&T's fiber lines to increase broadband speeds to U-Verse customers.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

23 of 59 (1,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 11:12:35 PM
(0)
Employee
My thoughts and my thoughts only....
1) any approved deal is at least a year away, implementation beyond 1/1/16.
2) AT&T U-verse is only 22 states, soon to be 21 with Frontier buying Connecticut, limited footprint makes U-verse a regional player not a national player.
With approximately 30M potential subscribers, about 8-9M is top expectation for U-verse IPTV services, that is not a small number as Charter with Comcast/TWC deal would be 2nd in cable with less than 6M subs.
3) U-verse is an appendix of either CWA or IBEW union contacts, while to my knowledge DirecTv is non union and possible contracted in some areas. A major challenge if DirecTV is not kept as a separate division operating independent.
4) This is about increasing shareholder value by increasing potential growth both in the US and South America.
5) As AT&T is offering wireless (Mobility) and home security (Digital Life) in non hardwired (U-verse) states, this is an opportunity to increase 4G LTE wireless internet/home phone (VOIP) while controlling the consumer experience (instead of partnering... less ability to provide an exceptional experience) the TV service without having to own (overbuild) fiber/copper plant.

I do not foresee U-verse being shuttered or sold in the near foreseeable future (2020).
As technology and consumer preferences continues to change so will the offerings.
As AT&T is the US largest private union employer, changes are negotiated.

again these are only my thoughts
My thoughts and my thoughts only....
1) any approved deal is at least a year away, implementation beyond 1/1/16.
2) AT&T U-verse is only 22 states, soon to be 21 with Frontier buying Connecticut, limited footprint makes U-verse a regional player not a national player.
With approximately 30M potential subscribers, about 8-9M is top expectation for U-verse IPTV services, that is not a small number as Charter with Comcast/TWC deal would be 2nd in cable with less than 6M subs.
3) U-verse is an appendix of either CWA or IBEW union contacts, while to my knowledge DirecTv is non union and possible contracted in some areas. A major challenge if DirecTV is not kept as a separate division operating independent.
4) This is about increasing shareholder value by increasing potential growth both in the US and South America.
5) As AT&T is offering wireless (Mobility) and home security (Digital Life) in non hardwired (U-verse) states, this is an opportunity to increase 4G LTE wireless internet/home phone (VOIP) while controlling the consumer experience (instead of partnering... less ability to provide an exceptional experience) the TV service without having to own (overbuild) fiber/copper plant.

I do not foresee U-verse being shuttered or sold in the near foreseeable future (2020).
As technology and consumer preferences continues to change so will the offerings.
As AT&T is the US largest private union employer, changes are negotiated.

again these are only my thoughts
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

24 of 59 (1,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 4:22:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T could push me to Time Warner Cable(Comcast?) or Wow cable but never to Directv.

AT&T could push me to Time Warner Cable(Comcast?) or Wow cable but never to Directv.

25 of 59 (1,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 5:52:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

From an article I read on Fox Business...          

AT&T currently offers a video service known as U-Verse and Stephenson said during a conference call the company would continue to offer it after the acquisition is completed. It expects the deal to close in about a year.

AT&T currently offers a video service known as U-Verse and Stephenson said during a conference call the company would continue to offer it after the acquisition is completed. It expects the deal to close in about a year.

26 of 59 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 6:47:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Beany wrote:

You do not know who to believe. The first article from yesterday indicates that the television service that we currently have from U-Verse will be switched over to satellite service. The article that you site, indicates that U-Verse will continue the type of television service that we currently have.

I hope the second article is what will really happen. I do not want to have to switch to Charter. At this point I cannot say which route is the one that U-Verse will take.

Beany wrote:

You do not know who to believe. The first article from yesterday indicates that the television service that we currently have from U-Verse will be switched over to satellite service. The article that you site, indicates that U-Verse will continue the type of television service that we currently have.

I hope the second article is what will really happen. I do not want to have to switch to Charter. At this point I cannot say which route is the one that U-Verse will take.

28 of 59 (1,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 6:59:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

This may be good deal for AT&T but for Uverse customers could end up being a bad deal  if uverse no longer wants use fiber lines just goes strait to satalite pay tv lots customers who can't access satalite tv will be put in a bind .

This may be good deal for AT&T but for Uverse customers could end up being a bad deal  if uverse no longer wants use fiber lines just goes strait to satalite pay tv lots customers who can't access satalite tv will be put in a bind .

29 of 59 (1,483 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 7:19:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Again from the article above......

There has been speculation that AT&T, based in Dallas, would end its small video service U-Verse if it acquired DirecTV. But Stephenson said that wouldn't be the case.

Again from the article above......

There has been speculation that AT&T, based in Dallas, would end its small video service U-Verse if it acquired DirecTV. But Stephenson said that wouldn't be the case.

30 of 59 (1,469 Views)