Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 10, 2012
2:03:07 PM
View profile
Another Uverse pixelating issue

Not sure why but I cannot get the Coax/HPNA information to show up in the UV Realtime program. A little help would be appreciated.

The other thing, as much as I have played around with this I am at a loss as to how to post a screenshot. Do I have to post via a site like photobucket?

Thanks,

Ralph

Not sure why but I cannot get the Coax/HPNA information to show up in the UV Realtime program. A little help would be appreciated.

The other thing, as much as I have played around with this I am at a loss as to how to post a screenshot. Do I have to post via a site like photobucket?

Thanks,

Ralph

Accepted Solution

Another Uverse pixelating issue

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 2:08:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can insert images into a message here on the forum using the icon that looks like a tree.

If you have U-verse receivers feed by coax, run the Extended Test using the link on the Coax/HPNA tab.  After the test is complete, close the UVRT tool and reopen.

You can insert images into a message here on the forum using the icon that looks like a tree.

If you have U-verse receivers feed by coax, run the Extended Test using the link on the Coax/HPNA tab.  After the test is complete, close the UVRT tool and reopen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Another Uverse pixelating issue

2 of 22 (1,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 2:29:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Dremwolf on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:31:46 PM

OK I tried the Insert/edit image icon. When the pop up opens it asks for the Image URL, the reason I asked if I have to upload to Photobucket.

I closed the 2wire and UVT windows reopened UVT and then clicked on the link, then exited UVT. I then went to Settings/Diagnostics and clicked on the Link Test icon, then the refresh icon. I opended UVT and nothing on the Coax/ HPNA tab.

For the record I hate new programs/forums look like such a noob!  EDITED TO ADD, I did not see an "Extended Test" icon

OK I tried the Insert/edit image icon. When the pop up opens it asks for the Image URL, the reason I asked if I have to upload to Photobucket.

I closed the 2wire and UVT windows reopened UVT and then clicked on the link, then exited UVT. I then went to Settings/Diagnostics and clicked on the Link Test icon, then the refresh icon. I opended UVT and nothing on the Coax/ HPNA tab.

For the record I hate new programs/forums look like such a noob!  EDITED TO ADD, I did not see an "Extended Test" icon

[ Edited ]
3 of 22 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 2:35:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

DOH

After trying again I scrolled down the LAN page and found the Extended Test icon. Going to run it now.

DOH

After trying again I scrolled down the LAN page and found the Extended Test icon. Going to run it now.

4 of 22 (1,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 2:57:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Dremwolf wrote:

Are you sure that you are clicking on the icon that looks like a tree?  There is no prompt for a URL.  You have to browse on your computer to insert the image.

Dremwolf wrote:

Are you sure that you are clicking on the icon that looks like a tree?  There is no prompt for a URL.  You have to browse on your computer to insert the image.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 22 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 2:59:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

OK after finding the correct test icon, it is amazing how the Image icon had much more options.

The rest of the problem story: At first just one of the TV receivers was pixelating very regularly. After doing the soft and hard boots it is even worse. Also the pixelating is occuring on all three TV sets to the opint of trying to watch TV is too frustrating.

OK after finding the correct test icon, it is amazing how the Image icon had much more options.

The rest of the problem story: At first just one of the TV receivers was pixelating very regularly. After doing the soft and hard boots it is even worse. Also the pixelating is occuring on all three TV sets to the opint of trying to watch TV is too frustrating.

6 of 22 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2012 3:08:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for posting the screenshots!

The PHY Rates shown on the Coax/HPNA tab indicates that you are having issues with your coax connections.  Call Technical Support at the number shown in my signature.  They will run tests on your system and will probably schedule a visit form a technical.

By the way, the Max Rate on the IP/Profile indicates that your system can support the higher 32/5 line profile which will provide you with 4 HD streams.  Technical Support should be able to upgrade you to the higher profile.

Thanks for posting the screenshots!

The PHY Rates shown on the Coax/HPNA tab indicates that you are having issues with your coax connections.  Call Technical Support at the number shown in my signature.  They will run tests on your system and will probably schedule a visit form a technical.

By the way, the Max Rate on the IP/Profile indicates that your system can support the higher 32/5 line profile which will provide you with 4 HD streams.  Technical Support should be able to upgrade you to the higher profile.

7 of 22 (1,590 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 3:32:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

We had a Tech out here earlier today and since she could not access one of the TV's she left without touching anything. When Uverse was first installed the Techs (yep took 3 of them) had problems with a number of coax connections.

When I used the Chat program last night with a Tech they mentioned they saw trouble on the line. When I mentioned that to the Tech today she said she saw nothing. So who are you going to argue with? She was the one who went to the box (assuming) down the street.

On the PHY Rates. I am assuming the 4HD streams would be in regard to HD TV? If so, no need as we have just plain old fashioned TV's. Plus the higher profile would probably cost more anyway.

I'm going to go check all the exterior/interior connections and see if that fixes it. If not then I'll deal with Tech Support again. If and when I do call them is there anything from this data I can tell them to be able to cut to the chase or do I just have to grin and bear it by starting at square one with them?

Finally, thank you for the assitance!!  Much better than talking to someone working off scripted material. Hope you are not melting over there in TX.

We had a Tech out here earlier today and since she could not access one of the TV's she left without touching anything. When Uverse was first installed the Techs (yep took 3 of them) had problems with a number of coax connections.

When I used the Chat program last night with a Tech they mentioned they saw trouble on the line. When I mentioned that to the Tech today she said she saw nothing. So who are you going to argue with? She was the one who went to the box (assuming) down the street.

On the PHY Rates. I am assuming the 4HD streams would be in regard to HD TV? If so, no need as we have just plain old fashioned TV's. Plus the higher profile would probably cost more anyway.

I'm going to go check all the exterior/interior connections and see if that fixes it. If not then I'll deal with Tech Support again. If and when I do call them is there anything from this data I can tell them to be able to cut to the chase or do I just have to grin and bear it by starting at square one with them?

Finally, thank you for the assitance!!  Much better than talking to someone working off scripted material. Hope you are not melting over there in TX.

8 of 22 (1,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 3:37:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is not cost impact of being on a higher or lower line profile.

Sounds like you may not have had a great tech earlier today.  If you still have problems getting this resolved, send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

There is not cost impact of being on a higher or lower line profile.

Sounds like you may not have had a great tech earlier today.  If you still have problems getting this resolved, send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

9 of 22 (1,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 7:19:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

I called Tech Support back. Appointment for tomorrow scheduled. The Tech agreed lousy PHY Rates. How did the local Tech not see that??

Since it was after 7pm Eastern he could not verify/deny any cost for the line profile change so I have to call Sales tomorrow.

I checked all of the coax connections all appear to be clean and tight. During the install they had issues with two splitters, maybe the problem is there? Well for now no TV but thankfully internet.

Again thanks for the assistance!!

I called Tech Support back. Appointment for tomorrow scheduled. The Tech agreed lousy PHY Rates. How did the local Tech not see that??

Since it was after 7pm Eastern he could not verify/deny any cost for the line profile change so I have to call Sales tomorrow.

I checked all of the coax connections all appear to be clean and tight. During the install they had issues with two splitters, maybe the problem is there? Well for now no TV but thankfully internet.

Again thanks for the assistance!!

10 of 22 (1,561 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 11:00:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, they PHY rates are between your RG and the DVR/STB's inside your house, and the tech can only measure this inside your house.  If the tech only measured your outside line, then he could not have seen it.

Your line stats and Bitloading graph of your outside line look pretty good, though they are only for about an hour (since your last RG reboot).

Your inside coax network needs fixing.  It may only be loose connectors, or it could be bad cable (bends that are too tight, etc.).  A competent Premises Tech should be able to help you with it.

Well, they PHY rates are between your RG and the DVR/STB's inside your house, and the tech can only measure this inside your house.  If the tech only measured your outside line, then he could not have seen it.

Your line stats and Bitloading graph of your outside line look pretty good, though they are only for about an hour (since your last RG reboot).

Your inside coax network needs fixing.  It may only be loose connectors, or it could be bad cable (bends that are too tight, etc.).  A competent Premises Tech should be able to help you with it.

11 of 22 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 7:45:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the info on what the PHY Rate is telling me. Not sure where they measured or what they measured. The Tech that came out today did mention about there being trouble on the lines (before he actually touched anything). So not sure what they look or do not look at prior to arrival.

The Tech today had to replace one of the splitters on the outside of the house and I had to replace a coax cable from the new splitter to a STB. (Kind of knew that needed to be replaced since it was installed during the original cable TV company days. Well over a couple of decades ago. After replacing the splitter and doing the whole meter thing he determined the RG had to be replaced.

After he left and I made a Home Depot run for coax, connectors, staples etc I get the new coax run and connect the new STB (arrived today). And what happens, I get a Client unprovisioned at 99.xxx.xx.x message on the TV! Go figure. So back on the phone to AT&T. Real nice and knowledgable Tech out of Detriot (small world since I was born in Pontiac). After some back and forth with her system and another office they finally figure out that my old STB S/N was not in the system. Nor was the new one showing up yet. So through her and hte other office they get the S/N's taken care of and I have to unplug the STB overnight (after 8pm here) and all should be good in the morning.

It has been a long day to get U-verse back up and running but ALL of today's Tech's were very good at what they do and their customer service skills are top notch. Oh and being a Veteran the on premise Tech gets extra points as he is preparing to enlist in the US Navy. Even though I am ex-Air Force I'll not hold that against him.  Smiley Wink

To close this out my next entry will be a fresh screenshot from the UVT. To this UVT noob, the numbers sure look a whole lot better now! 

Thanks for the info on what the PHY Rate is telling me. Not sure where they measured or what they measured. The Tech that came out today did mention about there being trouble on the lines (before he actually touched anything). So not sure what they look or do not look at prior to arrival.

The Tech today had to replace one of the splitters on the outside of the house and I had to replace a coax cable from the new splitter to a STB. (Kind of knew that needed to be replaced since it was installed during the original cable TV company days. Well over a couple of decades ago. After replacing the splitter and doing the whole meter thing he determined the RG had to be replaced.

After he left and I made a Home Depot run for coax, connectors, staples etc I get the new coax run and connect the new STB (arrived today). And what happens, I get a Client unprovisioned at 99.xxx.xx.x message on the TV! Go figure. So back on the phone to AT&T. Real nice and knowledgable Tech out of Detriot (small world since I was born in Pontiac). After some back and forth with her system and another office they finally figure out that my old STB S/N was not in the system. Nor was the new one showing up yet. So through her and hte other office they get the S/N's taken care of and I have to unplug the STB overnight (after 8pm here) and all should be good in the morning.

It has been a long day to get U-verse back up and running but ALL of today's Tech's were very good at what they do and their customer service skills are top notch. Oh and being a Veteran the on premise Tech gets extra points as he is preparing to enlist in the US Navy. Even though I am ex-Air Force I'll not hold that against him.  Smiley Wink

To close this out my next entry will be a fresh screenshot from the UVT. To this UVT noob, the numbers sure look a whole lot better now! 

12 of 22 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 7:57:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40:31 PM

Here are the final screenshots.

Curious how can I rest all information or if nothing else the Error Table since we have a new RG, STB, splitter and a new coax. Fresh start so to speak.

Texasguy37 and JefferMC, thank you for your assistance and input in helping me resolve this issue!!

[edited for privacy]

Here are the final screenshots.

Curious how can I rest all information or if nothing else the Error Table since we have a new RG, STB, splitter and a new coax. Fresh start so to speak.

Texasguy37 and JefferMC, thank you for your assistance and input in helping me resolve this issue!!

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
13 of 22 (1,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 8:10:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

To reset the Error Table, press the Reset Statistics button at the bottom of the link below.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

To reset the Error Table, press the Reset Statistics button at the bottom of the link below.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

14 of 22 (1,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2012 9:28:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your bit loading graph doesn't look much different, and if your error counts don't stay down after the reset, I'd say you have some line problems still to resolve.  Didn't see your HPNA stats this go around to see if your labors on your COAX paid off.

Your bit loading graph doesn't look much different, and if your error counts don't stay down after the reset, I'd say you have some line problems still to resolve.  Didn't see your HPNA stats this go around to see if your labors on your COAX paid off.

15 of 22 (1,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2012 10:28:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

I thought I had uploaded the HPNA screenshot going to upload again along with the refreshed Error Table.

On another note back to Texasguy37's comment on the 32/5 line rate. They could not upgrade us to that stating not enough bandwidth.

I thought I had uploaded the HPNA screenshot going to upload again along with the refreshed Error Table.

On another note back to Texasguy37's comment on the 32/5 line rate. They could not upgrade us to that stating not enough bandwidth.

16 of 22 (1,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2012 10:37:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You have enough bandwidth to be on the 32/5 line profile. Send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

You have enough bandwidth to be on the 32/5 line profile. Send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

17 of 22 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2012 1:35:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Oh, yeah, much better PHY rate.  Much better error stats.  If your problems go away, then we can just forget any thing that I think I see in the Bitloading graph.

As TG said, anything over 40Mbps is good enough for 32/5, and you've got 49.  However, they may trying to hold your profile speed down to hide line issues that shouldn't be there.  Talk to Alex,

Oh, yeah, much better PHY rate.  Much better error stats.  If your problems go away, then we can just forget any thing that I think I see in the Bitloading graph.

As TG said, anything over 40Mbps is good enough for 32/5, and you've got 49.  However, they may trying to hold your profile speed down to hide line issues that shouldn't be there.  Talk to Alex,

18 of 22 (1,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2012 2:01:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

THanks to both of you about bringing the PHY Rate issue up with Alex.

I have been going through the UVT documentation to learm more about what the UVT program can tell me about our systems performance etc. And I have come up with yet another question. On the Usage tab I looked at the different connection methods to get accurate readings and the way our system is connected does not match those illustrated.

The DVR and STB (2) all connect to the RG via coax cables. One computer connects directly to the RG via ethernet cable. Another computer connects to on of the STB via ethernet cable. Would the UVT show an accurate usage with this set up?

Also I selected each of the Router Interface Used for Internet options. Ethernet1 shows 9.5GB download and 4.4GB upload. Ethernet2 shows 306MB upload and 0.0 download. Ethernet3 and 4 are 0.0 and 0.0. Wireless, really surprised me since we are not using any wireless devices, 4.2GB for both download and upload. Coax, 41.5GB download and 4.4GB upload. (30day)

Can I safely assume that with one computer connecting via ethernet cable directly into the RG and the other connecting via an ethernet cable into a STB that is what Ethernet 1 and 2 are reflecting? On the Wireless numbers there was activety as recently as 3 days ago.

On the Channels/Streams tab, should'nt all devices be shown even if they are Off? At the moment it shows the DVR as off and one STB as off. However the one STB that is actually on and live TV being watched does not show up. Another however, that STB shows up on the Stream Analyzer tab.

As always, thanks in advance.

THanks to both of you about bringing the PHY Rate issue up with Alex.

I have been going through the UVT documentation to learm more about what the UVT program can tell me about our systems performance etc. And I have come up with yet another question. On the Usage tab I looked at the different connection methods to get accurate readings and the way our system is connected does not match those illustrated.

The DVR and STB (2) all connect to the RG via coax cables. One computer connects directly to the RG via ethernet cable. Another computer connects to on of the STB via ethernet cable. Would the UVT show an accurate usage with this set up?

Also I selected each of the Router Interface Used for Internet options. Ethernet1 shows 9.5GB download and 4.4GB upload. Ethernet2 shows 306MB upload and 0.0 download. Ethernet3 and 4 are 0.0 and 0.0. Wireless, really surprised me since we are not using any wireless devices, 4.2GB for both download and upload. Coax, 41.5GB download and 4.4GB upload. (30day)

Can I safely assume that with one computer connecting via ethernet cable directly into the RG and the other connecting via an ethernet cable into a STB that is what Ethernet 1 and 2 are reflecting? On the Wireless numbers there was activety as recently as 3 days ago.

On the Channels/Streams tab, should'nt all devices be shown even if they are Off? At the moment it shows the DVR as off and one STB as off. However the one STB that is actually on and live TV being watched does not show up. Another however, that STB shows up on the Stream Analyzer tab.

As always, thanks in advance.

19 of 22 (1,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2012 7:21:12 AM
(0)
Expert
For the usage meter, having a computer plugged into the Ethernet port of an STB is not a supported configuration. That computer will have to become wireless or have an Ethernet cable that is run back to the RG.

If you are not using wireless on your RG, you can turn it off in the RG's web management pages. This will prevent it from accumulating any data. (Although that data doesn't matter, because once your network is architected properly for the usage meter, wireless won't matter).

The correct network setup for you would be case 1, shown on page 24 of the documentation. You need a 3rd-party Ethernet switch, and you need both computers plugged into that switch. You would then select "Ethernet 3" on the Usage tab.

For the STB that is not showing up in the Channels/Streams tab, do the following:

1. Reboot the RG
2. Reboot the DVR
3. Reboot each STB

If it still doesn't show up, give it some time, I have seen this behavior on occasion with coax-connected STBs. If it still never shows up, you may have to move that STB onto Ethernet.
For the usage meter, having a computer plugged into the Ethernet port of an STB is not a supported configuration. That computer will have to become wireless or have an Ethernet cable that is run back to the RG.

If you are not using wireless on your RG, you can turn it off in the RG's web management pages. This will prevent it from accumulating any data. (Although that data doesn't matter, because once your network is architected properly for the usage meter, wireless won't matter).

The correct network setup for you would be case 1, shown on page 24 of the documentation. You need a 3rd-party Ethernet switch, and you need both computers plugged into that switch. You would then select "Ethernet 3" on the Usage tab.

For the STB that is not showing up in the Channels/Streams tab, do the following:

1. Reboot the RG
2. Reboot the DVR
3. Reboot each STB

If it still doesn't show up, give it some time, I have seen this behavior on occasion with coax-connected STBs. If it still never shows up, you may have to move that STB onto Ethernet.

20 of 22 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 8:43:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

So I have had pixelating Issues since the begining of last year 2013. I am on Fiber optic, repalced all boxes wired and RG, then moved to wireless Boxes and replaced those and RG, then had outside the house issues checked and none. Still have pixealting especailly when sometime on TV is popular NCAA tourney, Packers game Smiley Happy or NFL sunday.

I have had about 10 diferent service techs work on my system all walking away promising that its fixed.

I have communicated with AT&T socail Care all along and I am now strongly considering switching providers.

IF I cant get help within the next week, I'm out.

So I have had pixelating Issues since the begining of last year 2013. I am on Fiber optic, repalced all boxes wired and RG, then moved to wireless Boxes and replaced those and RG, then had outside the house issues checked and none. Still have pixealting especailly when sometime on TV is popular NCAA tourney, Packers game Smiley Happy or NFL sunday.

I have had about 10 diferent service techs work on my system all walking away promising that its fixed.

I have communicated with AT&T socail Care all along and I am now strongly considering switching providers.

IF I cant get help within the next week, I'm out.

Re: Another Uverse pixelating issue-LAST DITCH EFFORT

21 of 22 (598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 11:17:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

How are your STB/DVR connected to the wall?  Are they coax or ethernet cable. If they are coax, make sure they are all one turn past hand tight. Starting with the RG to the wall, then the wall to the STB/DVR.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

How are your STB/DVR connected to the wall?  Are they coax or ethernet cable. If they are coax, make sure they are all one turn past hand tight. Starting with the RG to the wall, then the wall to the STB/DVR.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Another Uverse pixelating issue-LAST DITCH EFFORT

22 of 22 (585 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments