Need help with your equipment?
Codysatx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 6:31 AM

AT&T Uverse and Twitch.tv

Not sure if it has been posted about on this board before but in the last couple of months there has been a huge stutter and lag problem across the board for all major ISP's and this site, to include Uverse. From what I can tell it occurs at the Level 3 CDN that uverse routes through. I know Comcast and Time Warner have talked to Twitch.tv to get this issue fixed but is AT&T going to be doing anything about it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Same thing that's wrong with this one when a tracert is done to www.twitch.tv
Tracing route to cdn.justin.tv.c.footprint.net [8.26.221.126]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms CISCO36629 [192.168.0.1]
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]
3 22 ms 34 ms 21 ms 75-17-224-3.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net [75.
17.224.3]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 22 ms 23 ms 22 ms 12.83.80.161
6 25 ms 23 ms 22 ms gar26.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.123.16.109]
7 39 ms 39 ms 37 ms 4.68.62.229
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I've had AT&T U-verse for approximately 1 day and already hate it. We are consumers, not network engineers. All this ridiculous speculation on "its this, could be that, DEFINITELY NOT AT&T'S FAULT" is a joke. Why stick your head in the sand? We are consumers. We expect very simple things to work. Streaming a livestream shouldn't be a network-breaking feat for any one provider. Really though, be honest. Unless it makes AT&T money they aren't going to do anything about it.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

I've noticed that this issue has gotten somewhat better recently any one else?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

This did get better for a few weeks but now its back to having alot of problems. Its sad when ATT can not hold there stuff together. I really wish they would move away from home service. ALL my uverse stuff does not work right. Home TV service. Internet service. They should just keep the wireless and leave the ISP stuff to the companys who care about it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is there any sort of resolution on this yet? I still cannot get this fixed with getting in contact with ATT uverse tech and reading through this whole post it still seems like nothing has been resolved even after all of these months. Give me a number besides the 2020 number to call into because they have no idea what I am talking about when trying to explain myself.

Or is this topic now dead and no one cares anymore?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

SO, This problem currently has been going on for about a year here (Norman, OK). And frankly I'm this close to done. I switched to Uverse 2 years ago. maybe 3, because there was a great subscription deal when I first joined plus I had had some mild frustrations with Cox Cable (the other major ISP in our area.)

Here's the deal.

We've come to this point where literally the two main things I do on the internet in my free time beyond work activities are watch Twitch streams and play steam games/league of legends. And those have become deal breakers at this point.

I'm at the 24/4 Max Turbo package. There is literally 1 more upgrade I can go to "45/whatever" for 75 bucks a month.

Or i can go to Cox for their 50/10 down for 70 bucks a month.

I've got a desktop and a laptop. Both have issues with twitch at homeMy workplace uses Cox. The laptop certainly doesn't have problems there. I've got several friends who use Cox internet at their 25/5 package. None of them have issues with streaming twitch at 1080 much less 720. I cannot get decent stream quality at 480. This is at various times of day on various streams.

Basically I've tested hardware, software, used a variety of websites, various firewall fixes, attempted using the services at peak times/off times, and at different qualities, and I still run into problems. However I've seen the alternative ISP not have these same issues. I understand that I can't be sure I won't have the same problems if I were to switch to Cox

Maybe I can't blame ATT and maybe we can't be sure it is their fault. But I can be sure there is at least an alternative at a similar/potentially cheaper price point.

If it's a peering issue, if it's net neutrality being shot down so now you can be honest about who you "insertyourPRapprovedwordforthrottle", whatever it is, fix it. Because the only major competitor you have in this market doesn't appear to have the same problem.

Fix it, or lose a customer that two years ago was more than happy to recommend you to everyone looking for an ISP in the area. Then I'll get all the first hand empirical knowledge/evidence I need in regards to all other things being equal which service actually provides the better service.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I've got two kids who play LoL at least 10 hours per week and one of them watches LoL tournaments and walkthroughs from Twitch.TV on a fairly regular basis.  He only occasionaly has issues with Twitch.TV, and I've never seen bandwidth issues with LoL.

And this with a 12 Mbps AT&T U-verse connection.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC 

Mind letting me know where you're located? I'm wondering if it would simply be more convenient for me to move there.

But seriously. At this point literally the only thing left for me to switch out to see where the problem lies is switching out ISPs.

I do not care if it really is ATT's fault or not. I do not care if the issue is some background company that wants to much money that they need to make some sort of peering agreement with.

Because from what I can see, Cox has made that agreement to pay that background company whatever money they want to let their users watch streams. ( I don't even want to stream myself. I literally just want to watch a livestream in 720p. How difficult is that)

All that matters to me is

ATT = I definitely have a problem, and it hasn't resolved itself for the year i stuck around in somewhat good faith.

Cox = Maybe I won't have this problem, and if it doesn't solve the problem, I know there is some other issue that I'm not seeing.

But hey I'll also know that paying for anything over 12 MPBS is a complete waste of money regardless of provider.

Maybe that's the problem. I've been overpaying and I should actually lower my service to the 12mbps connection that you're subscribing to. Apparently everything is fantastic there.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I know this topic has been brought up before but I was wondering if anyone had any current information about u-verse and twitch tv. I have a 6 down connection, while not being fantastic it can handle 1080 videos on youtube and other streaming websites no problem. However when ever I try to watch a stream on twitch the video stutters and buffers. I've tried every solution people have suggested on the web and nothing seems to work. Any information at all would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Josh

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So jeff let me get this straight.  ATT works for you in your geopgrahical location so there is no way this can be an ATT issue? I am not sure if you are technical support, if you are,  just wow.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Causto wrote:

So jeff let me get this straight.  ATT works for you in your geopgrahical location so there is no way this can be an ATT issue? I am not sure if you are technical support, if you are,  just wow.

Jeffer is an AT&T customer just like you.  He's not technical support for AT&T but probably has more computer knowledge than 90% of them.  TwitchTV is another topic that is almost like YouTube and Netflix.  There are areas where it has no problems and others where everyone complains.  However, it's not exclusive to AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.