Need help with your equipment?
Codysatx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 6:31 AM

AT&T Uverse and Twitch.tv

Not sure if it has been posted about on this board before but in the last couple of months there has been a huge stutter and lag problem across the board for all major ISP's and this site, to include Uverse. From what I can tell it occurs at the Level 3 CDN that uverse routes through. I know Comcast and Time Warner have talked to Twitch.tv to get this issue fixed but is AT&T going to be doing anything about it?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I have found multiple posts mentioning how Level3 and AT&T are on bad terms right now, and for all we know, AT&T are being ignorant and wanting too much money for peering to their network, so Level3 is essentially blacklisting them and throttling traffic, legal or not.

Most likely it's AT&T's fault, because, why not blame them? They have the power to fix it, and they aren't doing it. Looks to me like everyone is having this problem too.

[Please keep it courteous]

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

I have found multiple posts mentioning how Level3 and AT&T are on bad terms right now, and for all we know, AT&T are being ignorant and wanting too much money for peering to their network, so Level3 is essentially blacklisting them and throttling traffic, legal or not.

Most likely it's AT&T's fault, because, why not blame them? They have the power to fix it, and they aren't doing it. Looks to me like everyone is having this problem too.

[Please keep it courteous]

It takes two to tango.  Why not blame both parties?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Because AT&T has always shown to be greedy, and therefor I would like to blame AT&T for not looking out for it's customers and just making the right decision to MAKE LESS profit instead of making us buy VPN's to another network in order to stream anything.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

I'm not sure that AT&T can act unilaterally to fix this issue. Are you?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Peering is a two-way street. Level3 wants to peer with AT&T, but AT&T wants too much money to do.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

Peering is a two-way street. Level3 wants to peer with AT&T, but AT&T wants too much money to do.

You know this for a fact?  Can you cite sources?  Is Level 3 even known to be Twitch.Tv's CDN ISP?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

Did you happen to notice that the article you cited was nearly 3 years old and has nothing to do with Twitch.TV (which I don't even think was in business then)?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, 3 years ago, but nothing new saying it was ever resolved.

Also, at this point it's not really up to Twitch.tv, since they use Level3 as their ISP/CDN. It's not up to Level3 and AT&T. Same with YouTube, they don't purely use Level3, but in the locations where people connect to YT through L3, the connection is terrible as well. So, it's obviously a beef with Level3 and AT&T.

Also, Twitch.tv was in business 3 years ago. They were around since 2008 I believe (at least that's when I started using them). Justin.tv, their parent, has been around much longer.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

Yes, 3 years ago, but nothing new saying it was ever resolved.

Also, at this point it's not really up to Twitch.tv, since they use Level3 as their ISP/CDN. It's not up to Level3 and AT&T. Same with YouTube, they don't purely use Level3, but in the locations where people connect to YT through L3, the connection is terrible as well. So, it's obviously a beef with Level3 and AT&T.

Also, Twitch.tv was in business 3 years ago. They were around since 2008 I believe (at least that's when I started using them). Justin.tv, their parent, has been around much longer.

As for YouTube, it doesn't matter who your isp is.  We have OC-1 at work and there are times that YouTube is crap.  It has nothing to do with AT&T in that case.  I have a friend who has FiOS and YouTube can be crap for him.  Do some research and you will see that every provider has complained about YouTube speed issues.  As far as Twitch, do a Google search and you wil see that Comcast has issues with them.  It's also an issue in Europe.  Hmmm, don't think AT&T or Comcast are over there so I'd venture to guess that the problem lies withing Twitch's system somewhere.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.