Need help with your equipment?
Toledoman's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, November 18th, 2010 3:04 PM

3600HGV - Need to Disable DHCP

Hello,

Is there a way to disable DHCP on the 3600HGV device?  On other, older 2wire routers there was a check box for this.

I see where the range, subnet, etc can be changed but not disabled. 

Another device on the LAN is already handing out DHCP so I dont want to have to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Almost any modern router from D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc. will all work correctly.  The basic steps to set it up are:

• Pick an IP addressing range for the LAN side of your router that is different from the IP addressing range that the 2Wire 3600HGV uses.  By default, the 2Wire uses 192.168.1.0/24.  You can pick something like 192.168.2.0/24.
  • Use an Ethernet cable to plug one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire into the WAN port of your router.
  • Plug your computers into the LAN ports of your router.
  • Go to the web configuration of the 2Wire at 192.168.1.254, and turn on DMZPlus for your router (your router will appear as one of the devices in the 2Wire's device list).
  • Once DMZPlus is turned on, reboot your router, it will get the 2Wire's outside IP address on its WAN port when it comes back up.
  • You should now be able to connect to the internet.
  • Since you have your own DHCP server, you'll now need to go to the web configuration of your router and turn off it's DHCP.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The 3600HGV is a derivative of the 3800HGV-B, which is used for U-Verse installations that have TV service.  The TV boxes require DHCP from the 2Wire, so there is no option to turn off DHCP on the 3800HGV-B.  This behavior was carried over to the 3600HGV even though there are no TV boxes.

To use your own DHCP server, you will need to install your own router in between the 2Wire and your network, and turn on the DMZPlus feature of the 2Wire.  This will give your outside IP address to the WAN interface of your own router.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

THANKS!!!  I REALLY APPRECIATE the quick response!!!

I'm new to the U-Verse plan and can see the need for other connected devices to get DHCP that way.  Our setup is only using Internet.

I'll check to see where to turn on the DMZPlus feature.  I don't remember seeing it but wasn't looking for it either!  I'll also pickup a new router! 

Is there any speciffic brand/model you would recommend for this setup or is basically any router going to be ok?

Is there a link available to download a user guide for the 3600HGV ?  All I've been able to find is the installation guide.

Thanks again!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

THANKS!!!

That took care of the DHCP issue!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

• Since you have your own DHCP server, you'll now need to go to the web configuration of your router and turn off it's DHCP.

WHICH ROUTER DO I turn off the att or mine for the dhcp.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You can't turn off DHCP on the AT&T router (the 2Wire).

You can turn off DHCP on your own router that is set up as the DMZplus device.  Whether you would want to turn off DHCP on your own router depends on what your IP addressing solution is.

The original poster had his own server that functioned as a DHCP server on his network, thus he needed to turn off DHCP on his own router after it was hooked up, because you cannot have two DHCP servers on the same network.

If you do not have your own DHCP server but you want your client computers to use DHCP to configure their IP addressing, then on your router you should leave DHCP turned on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

OK I think I found the correct thread. I think my intent is the same. Please verify that I correctly understand.

Currently I have At&t DSL with a Dlink DIR-655 router it is the DHCP server and has one IP address reserved for my print server.It also handels the WiFi.

I ordered U-Verse internet only and they will be sending the 3600HGV I told them what I wanted to do and requested a MODEM only but are sending the 3600HGV.

So that being said I want to still use my router and it's WiFi and not the routing function and WiFi of the 3600.

According to this thread I should do the following."

• Pick an IP addressing range for the LAN side of your router that is different from the IP addressing range that the 2Wire 3600HGV uses.  By default, the 2Wire uses 192.168.1.0/24.  You can pick something like 192.168.2.0/24.
  • Use an Ethernet cable to plug one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire into the WAN port of your router.
  • Plug your computers into the LAN ports of your router.
  • Go to the web configuration of the 2Wire at 192.168.1.254, and turn on DMZPlus for your router (your router will appear as one of the devices in the 2Wire's device list).
  • Once DMZPlus is turned on, reboot your router, it will get the 2Wire's outside IP address on its WAN port when it comes back up.
  • You should now be able to connect to the internet."

"The original poster had his own server that functioned as a DHCP server on his network, thus he needed to turn off DHCP on his own router after it was hooked up, because you cannot have two DHCP servers on the same network."

So this means that I will have to disable the DHCP feature of my DIR-655 correct?

I have one reserved DHCP IP address for the print server this will now go away if I disable DHCP on my DIR-655 correct?

The DIR-655 IP address are 192.168.0.xxx so I will not have to change these correct?

Will I be able to add a DHCP IP address reservation for the print server as I did on the DIR-655?

What do I do with the routers previous authentication settings that I had with the previously bridged DSL modem?

Is there a MODEM only option (2210) for the U-Verse internet only folks like me?

I really appreciate it if you can clarify this all for me.

Thanks, Bob

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

If you have already set up your DIR-655 like this under ADSL, you can basically keep all settings the same on your DIR-655.  You'll keep DHCP on, keep your DHCP reservation, keep your IP addressing subnet, and keep your authentication information all the same.

You can set up the 3600HGV for router-behind-router using this post.

The 3600HGV is the only router for internet-only VDSL installations.  The Motorola 2210 is not VDSL, it is ADSL2+.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks. So I guess then there is no stand alone modem for use with U-Verse internet?

As far as the router behind router when will the port blockage below be an issue?

"Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it."

You mentioned below.

"If you have already set up your DIR-655 like this under ADSL, you can basically keep all settings the same on your DIR-655.  You'll keep DHCP on, keep your DHCP reservation, keep your IP addressing subnet, and keep your authentication information all the same."

So If I set up using the router behind router instructions I can just leave things as they are on my DIR-655?

Will the authentication information in the DIR-655  have to be changed to match U-Verse or will the 3600 take care of the authentication?

Thanks, Bob

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

As far as port blocks, inbound 8000-8015 is blocked, but 22 is not.  This was confirmed by another user after I had already posted that.

Yes, you can leave everything on your DIR-655 the same except for the WAN authentication information.  The U-Verse RG takes care of all authentication.  Your DIR-655 is probably set up for PPPoE.  You will need to disable that and change the WAN connection method to DHCP.  Your DIR-655 will get the WAN IP address via DHCP from the U-Verse RG.  Following my instructions in the link above will make the RG hand your DIR-655 the outside public IP address, which is equivalent to what you have now with ADSL.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.