Posted Jul 25, 2011
9:36:43 PM
View profile
2Wire i38HG Default Password Needed

I would like to know the default password for my new 2Wire i38HG gateway. I am also having trouble connecting wireless devices such as printers. Please provide solutions, if possible. Thank you.

vgdiaz

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2014 8:07:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Its on the battery backup box, not the actual router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24561058-Default-System-Password-2-WIRE-i38HG

Accepted Solution

2Wire i38HG Default Password Needed

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 9:45:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:48:09 PM

The Wirelss Network Key is written on a label on the side of the device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 2Wire i38HG Default Password Needed

[ Edited ]
2 of 25 (132,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 9:48:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

The label does not provide for a system password, it only provides for the serial number a MAC number and a PN number. that's all!

3 of 25 (132,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 9:56:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 25 (132,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 10:16:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

The link provided doesn't tell where I can get the default or system password, it simply provides on how to connect it via ethernet or wireless. It appears that this is a new 2wire model i38HG and it does not provide the password on label. However, I found what's the iPSU. According to this link .pdf link on page 22 states that the system password is on the iPSU. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf

5 of 25 (132,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 10:26:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:28:22 PM

You need the Wireless Key not the System Password to connect to wireless devices.  Also, per the illustration in the link that I provided, it indicates that the information that you need is on the label on the i38G.

Also, you can see pages 13 and 14 in the document in the link in your last message.

[ Edited ]
6 of 25 (132,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 10:37:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

After I go to 192.168.1.254 it takes me to the setup page but I am unable to make any changes wihtout the system password not the wireless key  which I have to connect wireless decives. The problem is that I need to change the channel because the default channel does not allow to connect wireless devices.

The manual states that the system password is on the iPSU front cover, but I do not know what's iPSU. What's iPSU?

7 of 25 (132,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 10:43:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

See page 3 of the document.

8 of 25 (132,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 7:05:04 AM
(0)
Expert
For an iNID setup (which is what you have), there are 3 different devices in the system:

1. The i3812V, also called just the "iNID". This is a large box on the side of your house outside that terminates the incoming phone lines. This unit contains all the actual router hardware and routing logic.

2. The i38HG. This is a combination 4-port Ethernet switch and wireless access point located inside your house. It doesn't have any routing logic in it, and doesn't have an IP address, it's hardware only. However, it is configured by making a web browser connection to the i3812V unit, which has settings that will change things like the wireless SSID, encryption, and key.

3. The battery backup unit for the i3812V, called the iPSU. This is inside your house somewhere and has a wire that runs to the i3812V outside. It provides power and battery backup for the i3812V. The sticker with the system password is on the side of this unit.

9 of 25 (132,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2012 12:40:51 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by openminds on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:01:20 PM

:smileyfrustrated:

[ Edited ]
10 of 25 (115,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 8:57:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

@SomeJoe777

All your information is correct - except that when the techs replace your INIDs unit and the modem and NOT the iPSU you're left without a good password.  The INIDs syncs with the i38HG and resets everything to IT'S defaults while the old password remains on the old iPSU.  Now what do I do?  AT&T support has already blown off two appointments to return the tech - I'm about to drop this whole service.  Does anyone know of a way to read the system password from the INIDs unit?  I've already opened the box (yes, the service side too) but nothing like a password is apparent.

11 of 25 (106,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 6:40:59 PM
(0)
Expert

Unfortunately, I know of no way to reset the password.  A factory reset would do it, but you have to be logged into the HTML management site of the iNID to enact a factory reset.

Also, the reset would simply reset it to the default, which you would not know without the matching iPSU.

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. Please take into account weekends when contacting them.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

12 of 25 (105,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 7, 2013 10:46:18 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by bauwls on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:53:12 AM

Holding down the reset button on the side of the iPSU fo 15s will flow the system password to the network. In fact, it's in the technician's m&p to do it before leaving.

A factory reset resets the i3812V and allows it to re-sync with the iPSU and receive a password update from the iPSU.

The factory reset on the iPSU requires the you to press and hold the reset button down (recessed) on the left side of the iPSU for approximately 15 seconds (pressing the reset button requires a thin object approximately one inch in length, such as a paper clip, pen head or small screwdriver).

I'm suprised that none of those calls to tech support have revealed the simple process.

[ Edited ]
13 of 25 (105,939 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2013 12:41:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can reset the iNid from the inside box, you will need a paper clip and insert it into the very small hole on the front.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

14 of 25 (105,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2013 7:43:41 PM
(0)
Voyager
@bauwls
I've been dealing with this issue ever since we switched to this system last week. Haven't been able to change my router settings because haven't been able to get through with the system key on the iPSU.
Doing the side button reset on both the iPSU and the router in question did help and on the GUI I was shown a page to set the password to either the default system key or my own. First I tried setting it to my own, and then after setting it, it did not work. So I did the reset on both devices AGAIN and this time tried selecting the default system key option. Same thing happened, no password worked. I don't know if this is a problem with our devices or the guy who set us up had no idea what he was doing - I hardly know what I'm doing other than lurking around forums like this one. You seem to know what you're talking about so if you (and anyone reading this post for that matter) has any insight on what the issue might be it'd be super appreciated. I made this forum account literally just for this specific problem. Thanks.

15 of 25 (77,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 12:07:06 PM
(0)
Guru
Past the point of holding down the reset button on the iPSU for 15s and trying the default system password housed on the inside panel of your iPSU, there's not much advice I can offer.

If it will not work with the default key listed, you'll need a technician visit.

16 of 25 (77,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2014 8:07:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Its on the battery backup box, not the actual router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24561058-Default-System-Password-2-WIRE-i38HG

17 of 25 (50,121 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 4:51:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

the default password is on the uverse battery pack 

18 of 25 (49,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 4:53:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
THANK YOU !!!!!! I have been looking everywhere that the ATT customer care rep told me but none of those numbers worked! You would think they would be able to help me ! LOL All i wanted to do was change the password to something I could remember ! Thanks so much !!!

19 of 25 (49,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 9:01:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi folks,

I had an old ATT gateway that was replaced by a i38HG. The old battery backup is still here, but I don't see any password anywhere on the old battery pack, case, or new i38HG. I have looked at the equipment on the side of the house, there isn't any passwords there either. I haven't been able to find any other equipment in the house. ATT support keeps telling me where my wireless password or where it should be but no one seems to know where it really is. I need to change the wireless channel and make some other modifications to the system, but can't without the system password. 

20 of 25 (49,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 9:26:40 PM
(0)
Employee
On an inid install, the password to make changes is located on the battery compartment cover located on the front of the Power Supply. Should be center bottom of cover. If cover is missing would require installation of a new power supply and factory reset of inid to reconfigure for new settings.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

21 of 25 (49,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 1:42:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in the same boat - no password or username stored in the box, router or power supply. I need to make changes to the internal settings and keep getting asked for the password.  I've tried resetting the device but still same issue.  Any other ideas?  Thanks

22 of 25 (26,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 4:05:39 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @onelred,

I apologize about the inconveniences, but I will be glad to help. Sadly, if you do not have the information on the router, we will have to replace the unit. I can help with that, and we will be sending you a private message to assist with this matter.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, we recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

23 of 25 (26,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2014 1:04:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

vgdiaz wrote:

After I go to 192.168.1.254 it takes me to the setup page but I am unable to make any changes wihtout the system password not the wireless key  which I have to connect wireless decives. The problem is that I need to change the channel because the default channel does not allow to connect wireless devices.

The manual states that the system password is on the iPSU front cover, but I do not know what's iPSU. What's iPSU?

iPSU is the Power Supply Unit. It is a the unit that supplies power to your iNID or outside unit. The password you are looking for is on the label on the front cover of this unit. It shold be white in color with 3 LED's in the front. 

24 of 25 (20,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2015 10:20:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

In case someone comes looking for an answer to this one again. I had a 2 wire I absolutely loved it. On the back of the modem there are 2 sets of numbers not just one. If you entering the wrong number it won't work go look for the next set of numbers try that one

25 of 25 (2,179 Views)