Need help with your equipment?
oaooao's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 12:48 AM

2 programs stopped sending mail

I have two programs that stopped sending messages. Both have worked fine for years and stopped recently (different dates) sending mail, without any changes at my end.

1. A compuserve POP account which is set with the ATT SMTP server for sending. It has worked for years without any problems. But today it stopped working: when I try to send mail it issues an invalid login error.

The weird thing is that I have other non-ATT accounts with the same.

2. A utility called Abuse that analyzes email spam headers and sends a complaint to the ISP of the sender. This one was set with port 25 and somebody was claiming that it is blocked by ATT, is that true? Anyway, port 25 works intermittently and if I set the port to 465 does not work at all. The program is an older one and does not have SSL settings, so I dk if that is the reason port 465 does not work.

Anybody knows what's going on here?

Thanks.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

In my reply I specified both the mail program and the utility. Here is what I wrote:

"The 2 programs are PopPeeper, which is a simple email program and Abuse, an older utility that analyzes headers and sends notifications to suspected ISP of spammers."

Abuse can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/spam-abuse/files/

PopPeeper is here: http://www.poppeeper.com/download.php

I would prefer not to change programs.

I reiterate the weirdness: all other non-ATT mail accounts can send emails OK via the same ATT SMTP server with the same setting; only the Compuserve mail account cannot send.

As to the Abuse utility. it used to work with port 25, then it stopped, without anything changing. I changed to 465 and I am getting network error 10054. If the port is blocked why all the email accounts except Compuserve send????????

This does not make any sense.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

After some logging and more thinking I want to check if the SMTP password was entered correctly, but only dots are displayed so I can't tell.

How do I find out what my valid SMTP pw is? Is it the same one I login to my att mail account?

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working, and thanks for the update.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.