Need help with your equipment?
blakeyoung's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, September 7th, 2015 2:11 AM

2 internet signals with U-verse with GigaPower

I recently upgraded from Uverse 18 Mbps to GigaPower. When I did, they gave me a new modem - the NVG599. This replaced my old modem - the 3801HVG. I still have my old access point - the VAP2500. Since upgrading to the new service, I now have 2 wireless signals, one on 2.5 Ghz and one on 5 Ghz (at least according to the installer). Is the new NVG559 generating the faster 5 Ghz signal, and the VAP2500 generating the slower 2.5 Ghz signal? How can I tell what wireless technology both systems are utilizing, e.g. 802.11AC vs N vs G? Some of my devices can connect to either signal, and some can only connect to the slower signal.

I had my old system set up to extend wireless coverage in my house by turning an old Linksys router I had lying around effectively into an access point in my living room. That is, configure the Linksys router as a slave to the AT&T modem. Can I do the same thing with the NVG599?

IMG_20150906_205557.jpg

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@blakeyoung   The WAP is on 5 Ghz only. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Ahh, I gotcha. So it looks like the NVG599 broadcasts 802.11AC, and the VAP2500 broadcasts 802.11N. So if devices cannot utilize the AC mode, they can connect to the N access point.

And basically just forget about the 2.4 and 5 Ghz as having any real signficance?

Ultimately all these questions are geared towards figuring out how to eventually extend my service into my living room with an additional WAP.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

The WAP is for the wireless TV receivers. If you need to improve the wireless signal you should be able to connect your linksys router as you did before. I do not know how to do that. Hopefully another forum member can post a link to how to do that with your current rg. I'll check later to see how you set n or g band on the rg. I have the nvg589.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

The 5GHz SSID for the NVG is ATTxxxxxxxxx-5, but the SSIS for the WAP is MOTOVAP_xxxxxxxx. For the AT&T network, use the same password you do for 2.4 GHz.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.