Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jtcalvert's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 7:22 PM

with gigapower, very very slow upload to online backup service

i am trying to use an online backup service (crashplan) and even though i have gigapower, it is very slow (482 days to complete)

was hoping someone has had a resolution or would suggest a backup service that the nvg589 can work with.

thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

This link

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Speeding_Up_Your_Backup

describes some things you can do to speed up CrashPlan.  It is noted somewhere in it that it can take months to do the backup at the default settings.  You might need to raise your WAN Sending Rate limit.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I don't use a cloud back-up service but rather a local external drive connected via USB.

Take a look at this for an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.cnet.com/products/seagate-backup-plus/

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

In line with what BeeBeeSA has just said, I would say that Online backup is a poor choice for a "backup everything on my harddrive" sort of backup.  For one or more document folders that you're willing to let strangers hold on to for you and charge you money to do so, then maybe online backup has its place.

The reasons for this:

1) Can't really restore an system disk image directly from an online backup

2) If you could, it would take hours longer than you want to do so to restore

3) It takes even longer to back up

4) There's so much stuff that you don't need in a non-image backup (e.g. the OS, application code, Browser caches, other temporary files)

So, my suggestion would be to use an external hard drive (as BeeBeeSA just said) to get an image of your system, then mark all your Libraries folders to be backed up online.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.