For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
adambird's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 4:19 PM

screen is way too dark on HDMI

photo 1.JPGthis is component cable see how you can clearly see everything in this movie now watch this when i switch too HDMI scroll down thanks 

photo 2.JPG now this is HDMI you can see a big diffrence between component and HDMI this is a big problem with the Att reciver that needs too be fixed i dont want too watch my shows on low quality component 

Please call **** this is a issue i want too know is being worked on or can not be fixed 

Another good example for people who think its just the show i will post 2 more photos first is component

second picture is HDMI on reciver 

component on reciver 

130$ aduio quest HDMI cable on reciver as you can see there is a grahpic bug on the reciver 

would like too know whats up with that component cables are too slow for the sony TV so it has a 

lag too the picture

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

4 Attachments

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

It looks terrible through my HDMI
But looks okay through my component cables I don't understand it should look better through my HDMI
I have a audio quest chocolate silver coated HDMI
Well over 100$
The tech over the phone told me to try to switching to components because he heard of the problem before it's a bug in the system!
No doubt now

Please call At&t !
My home phone

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

10 years ago

All tv providers, including U-verse have feed from distribution as either 720p or 1080i. Components cable is designed for this feed.

HDMI cables are designed for 1080p (blu-ray).

The receivers have to take the 720p or 1080i and modify for hdmi output resulting in "black crush". The software used in receivers is Microsoft Media Room, which was purchased last September (2013) by Ericsson is undergoing revisions.

A upgrade for the receivers with new Ericsson software is coming, am not aware of all changes planned but hopefully this will be one of them addressed.

Currently "best" to use components for feed from U-verse receiver to TV and HDMI from your DVD (bluray) to TV, changing input on tv to match desired source. This also avoids the shortcomings on some manufacturer models with HDMI handshaking issues when TV/receivers are turned off/on.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

The component cables lag and do the handshaking the HDMI is the better quality cable ....
I'm paying for high-definition so I can use HDMI that is designed for 1080i all the way to 4K!
What's the point of having an HDMI if it doesn't even look as good as the component cable.
I have had Charter and DirecTV and the HDMI look better than their components.
This is a problem that should not just be looked over this is a major issue I will not be keeping this service is if it's not fixed.
I'm paying for high-definition and you can't get that good of quality from component cables as you do from HDMI .
And do not try to blame it on my HDMI or TV it is obviously your equipment that needs to be fixed this month!

Sent from my iPhone

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Component cables are designed to handle 1080i.  Whether HDMI or component looks better is an issue of personal preference.

I personally expect AT&T to roll out a TV receiver update sometime in the next few months.  I have no better information than a SWAG.  I do not know if the crushed black problem will be fixed in the next update.  I do not know what other problems may be fixed or created in this next update.

However, if you're bound and determined to be unhappy, maybe you should start looking for the perfect service now.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

It is not personal preference
When it lags out when somebody just moves fast
Anyway you look at the HDMI would send the information to the TV faster and better

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Component cables are slow and outdated
Should not be forced to use them

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@adambird wrote:
It is not personal preference
When it lags out when somebody just moves fast
Anyway you look at the HDMI would send the information to the TV faster and better

It is a personal preference, and apparently not yours.  There is usually very little difference when using good quality component cables of a reasonable length (i.e. 6' or less).  By good quality, I do not mean to imply "Monster Cables."  I mean actually good quality, which can be had at a much better price.

I use component and HDMI depending on the TV and other connections necessary and available.  Both work fine for me at 1080i.  I see no difference whatsoever.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Have you compared the brightness and contrast settings of the two different cables? My TV has seperate settings for each input. Maybe your HDMI input has a lower brightness setting.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

as a new uverse "customer" I must say this is the first coherent response I have ever heard from an att employee on this subject. Ive heard everything from I have bad hdmi cables to straight up "I don't know". 

Having said that, there is obviously no time table table for the release of the new software or I assume you would have stated so. We all "hope" that fix is included in the update, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Adambird, you are not the only cat with this annoying issue. I switched from dtv, which has amazing picture quality (when you have a signal)so I feel your frustrations. I have tried everything to get a better pictrue via hdmi but as you well know by now, that simply is not possible at the moment. Also, I suggest not ever spending more than $30 on an hdmi cable.  There are plenty of articles out there which show there is virtually zero difference bw a $10 cable and a $150 cable.  my last ditch effort to improve the picture quality was a hdmi cable with redmere technology.  15 footer with all the latest specs, and got it for about $30 on monoprice.com. That didn't make one bit of difference either. 

Anyway, I completely agree we are not getting out monies worth from att.  I have made my concerns well known with tech support but 99% of them ('my thoughts' excluded) are less than no help. They read from their que cards and don't know anything about the inner workings of the uverse sysytem.  I realize this wasn't a very productive post on my part, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in this battle. Lets hope for the best in the next software update so we can get what we pay for. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Don't care they fixed it

Sent from my iPhone
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.