Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 12:15:13 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, again!

Did brafish answer your question? You can find more information about GigaPower here.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, again!

Did brafish answer your question? You can find more information about GigaPower here.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Upstream speed?

3 of 14 (2,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 7:32:13 PM
(0)
Mentor
I am getting about 320 both up and down
I am getting about 320 both up and down

4 of 14 (2,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 8:40:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by timjtierney on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:41:24 PM

sent private to Marianne

sent private to Marianne

[ Edited ]
5 of 14 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 8:55:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
what speed test site are you using, and what NIC/direct connect to the gateway or what?
what speed test site are you using, and what NIC/direct connect to the gateway or what?

6 of 14 (2,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 6:39:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

this is the site that they gigapower techs use:  http://www.att.com/speedtest/

I have also used speedtest.net and tested against the Temple Texas location per instructions from a gigapower tech

this is the site that they gigapower techs use:  http://www.att.com/speedtest/

I have also used speedtest.net and tested against the Temple Texas location per instructions from a gigapower tech

7 of 14 (2,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:20:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

There are a few sites to test your speed:

Your results should be more or less same.

There are a few sites to test your speed:

Your results should be more or less same.

8 of 14 (1,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2015 8:10:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having an issue with my upload speed.  In Houston I have the 1GB service and I am only getting an average of a 350 MB upload while I get between 800-900 down.  I thought the speeds were supposed to mirror?

I am on a Desktop running Win7 and connected directly to the gateway via LAN

I'm having an issue with my upload speed.  In Houston I have the 1GB service and I am only getting an average of a 350 MB upload while I get between 800-900 down.  I thought the speeds were supposed to mirror?

I am on a Desktop running Win7 and connected directly to the gateway via LAN

9 of 14 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2015 3:46:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

NO internet service, that I'm aware of, has an upload speed equal to the download speed. I am dsl, and i get six megabits down, and one half of a megabit (512 k) up.

My parents have cable, and while they get upwards of 75 mbps down, they only get about 7-10 mbps up.

Truth is, that is just as well, because the way it works, you are typically downloading way more than you''d ever upload.

Even under the new fcc broadband standars, it's like 30 mbps down, and 3-5 mbps up.

Just the nature of the beast.

NO internet service, that I'm aware of, has an upload speed equal to the download speed. I am dsl, and i get six megabits down, and one half of a megabit (512 k) up.

My parents have cable, and while they get upwards of 75 mbps down, they only get about 7-10 mbps up.

Truth is, that is just as well, because the way it works, you are typically downloading way more than you''d ever upload.

Even under the new fcc broadband standars, it's like 30 mbps down, and 3-5 mbps up.

Just the nature of the beast.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 14 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2015 7:21:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some services do have symetric data rates, but it's rare.  Actually, I think Gigapower 300 was 300/300.  

When allocating limited bandwidth resources (e.g. frequency bands on copper on the last mile, fibers and frequencies on multi-mode fibers), most data is flowing downstream and so more resources are provided to carry data in that direction.  The bandwidth limitations placed on subscribers normally reflects this reality.

Some services do have symetric data rates, but it's rare.  Actually, I think Gigapower 300 was 300/300.  

When allocating limited bandwidth resources (e.g. frequency bands on copper on the last mile, fibers and frequencies on multi-mode fibers), most data is flowing downstream and so more resources are provided to carry data in that direction.  The bandwidth limitations placed on subscribers normally reflects this reality.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 14 (851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2015 1:45:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

------------------------------ 

I honestly did not know ANY internet connection did that. Seriously, that makes ATT's Gigapower service a real competitor to the others. Not sure anyone would need the upload speed, but nice to know it's available if needed.

300 megs is impressive just for download speed. Lucky duck to have it. I live with 6 megs down, and half of a meg up. (to be fair, it is adiquate for most of my uses, also.)

JefferMC wrote:

------------------------------ 

I honestly did not know ANY internet connection did that. Seriously, that makes ATT's Gigapower service a real competitor to the others. Not sure anyone would need the upload speed, but nice to know it's available if needed.

300 megs is impressive just for download speed. Lucky duck to have it. I live with 6 megs down, and half of a meg up. (to be fair, it is adiquate for most of my uses, also.)

12 of 14 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2015 8:20:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

yes, with Gigapower, they have two options 300d/300u and 1GBd/1GB u

When they first installed it and before tehy put in the new gateway, I was able to get the 1GB speed on the upload and the download, but once the new gateway was put in, it was limited.

yes, with Gigapower, they have two options 300d/300u and 1GBd/1GB u

When they first installed it and before tehy put in the new gateway, I was able to get the 1GB speed on the upload and the download, but once the new gateway was put in, it was limited.

13 of 14 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2015 9:40:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

the 1000 up and down is new and it is offered down here in the Metro Houston area.  I signed up because I do photography as a hobby and need to share files a lot so while most people don't bother with upload, a fast upload is HUGE for me

the 1000 up and down is new and it is offered down here in the Metro Houston area.  I signed up because I do photography as a hobby and need to share files a lot so while most people don't bother with upload, a fast upload is HUGE for me

14 of 14 (398 Views)