For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
rolfl's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 10:09 PM

TotalHome DVR - number of streams???

What is the number of HD-streams that can be recoded simultaneously with GigaPower.

(Google can record 8 HD shows)

Even at 300Mbps it should be possible to record 10 HD shows without any problem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi rolfl,

Currently, the max amount of HD streams that can be recorded is 5 with GigaPower. The bandwidth is being concentrated on the Internet speed. As always, we are constantly improving our technologies, so there is always a chance for growth.

-David T

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Based on information available at this time, It's 5 HD streams regardless of speeds.

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Is this 5 HD streams dependent on getting the new 1 TB DVR or will I be able to record/watch 5 HD streams if I decide to stick with my VIP2250 that has a decent storage also?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

From what I can ascertain, if you choose GigaPower (Austin only), the larger capacity DVR (1Tb) replaces your current DVR.

FAQ

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

At least one upgrader said that they had not upgraded his DVR and wished they had.  I would think that they would probably let you keep your older DVR if you wished to, but it may limit your DVR ingress profile (i.e. the number of total streams your DVR will accept).  Your WAN profile would still likely allow the 5 streams through the RG so that other TV's could get the additional HD stream.

This is conjecture on my part, nothing more.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

1) What is the maximum number of HD streams the 1TB DVR hardware can handle (unrelated to WAN speed)?

2) How many streams HD streams will be supported after upgrade to 1Gbs?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

I have gigapower and the one terabyte dvr....my old dvr and this new one both could handle the 5 streams.  That said, I have been told by a higher up in the Gigapower organization that 6 streams will be coming online in the near future.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

My install tech said I had the choice to keep my DVR or upgrade, but would lose my stored programming.  Opted to upgrade because replacing 25 select cartoons with 5 HD streams takes very little time.  Smiley Happy

The RG has to be upgraded, so print out or otherwise store your settings on the old one.  The box on the side of the house may have to be replaced (my neighbor's did not), and you need 4 twisted pair ethernet from the box to the RG location to support 1Gbps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.