For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bustedmagnet's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 8:28 PM

Slow connection using Google, Facebook, and certain sites after recent upgrade

Hello, I'm brand new UVerse GigaPower user.

The transition to this new service hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped but I want to try to figure out this most annoying issue for now.

First of all, I'm using all of the default settings on the device provided by AT&T. The Motorola NVG589. On speedtest I'm getting the advertised speeds of 300/300 with a 15ms ping.

So the problem is, when I do a google search from chrome, it hangs there until it eventually times out and then I have to reload the page, after which the search results appear. Another example is in Gmail, sometimes the inital page is very slow to load, but it hangs forever when trying to open individual emails. Again, multiple page refreshes seem to fix this. 

Again, everything is default. I'm tempted to try to disable WIFI on the NVG589 and use my own router but hoping I can resolve it without going through that. 

Thanks!

PS. I'd like to add that youtube(google) is also unusable.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I just disabled the ipv6 on ATT modem. I hope it resolves the slowness and timeouts from google sites. Interestingly, I just got off talking with ATT rep via online chat and they have no clue how to resolve this problem, except asking me to power cycle.

Why isn't knowledge regarding this issue and the fix passed around to all the ATT customer support techs? This article is more than an year old and so many have already complained about it. It seems to be in the best interest of the company.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Why would you enable this feature by default if it slows down *.google.com????

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the same issue. Any device on my network is very slow to load Facebook, if even at all. I have done a number of tests to isolate this issue. I switched from Comcast to AT&T (worst choice ever) back around the time i installed the Windows 10 preview. I accepted that this was the reason for the slowdown and just moved on. Well, we are well beyond Windows 10 being "supported" and the problem persists.

I have disabled IPV6 on the modem and my main PC to no avail. I have also set static DNS entries for Google's DNS...nada.

However... I make a hotspot with my phone and connect to that and my pages load as they should. Quick and snappy. I KNOW it isn't my hardware or even a setting on my NIC or anything on my end at all. Through AT&T I have tried facebook on Chrome, IE, Edge(lol) and the crappy Windows Facebook App. Same deal. Go through my phones hotspot, loads like a champ on everything.

I was hopeful when i found this article, but every solution is "disable IPV6" and that isn't working for me. I think I might need some tech support.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I did all that you mentioned and much more and the issue was not resolved. FB (mostly) and other sites would just freeze. I tested FB very early in the morning at about 7:30AM and it was blazing fast. I also tested it after midnight and it was blazing fast as well. I did this over and over for about 5 days in a row. I called and complained and asked them if they were throttling back. Every time I called, I got a different answer (I know that the folks on the other line were either not triained properly or were just making things up - for instance two representatives said that if others in the community are using the Internet at peak hours, I would have a very slow connection - not true - I tested this with the spead test online). Simply they were throttling back at peak hours for certain IP's but would never admit it. Shame as I wasted tons of hours trying to resolve. 

Believe it or not, the solution was simply that I complained and complained and had a technician come to the house. I asked him if they were throttling back certain IP's (like FB or Youtube) and he said he had not heard of that. Amazingly, he did not do any testing but rather stuck around outside (after I left) for about an hour and after that the problem was fixed. Go figure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I switched from Comcast to AT&T Gigapower, on Sept 26th. I had one week of overlap between the two services, and I can confirm the same issue with YouTube buffering and Facebook pictures not loading as well as videos buffering there as well. This happens during certain hours of the evening, before midnight (9 pm onwards).

I have also tried all suggested solutions from this thread, to no avail (IPv6 disabling on the modem and switching DNS servers to Google DNS on the desktop). If this does not get fixed, I might excercise my 30 day window to terminate GigaPower. 

In addition, I have the NVG599 (newer version of their gateway).

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

8 years ago

Would this be the samefix  for a ARRIS 5268AC to turn off IPv6 ?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@wmfox1  Go back up and right above the orange globe there is a go here link for 2wire/Pace/Arris RGs, the 5268 is. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

For the last two months, our internet has had so many time outs we have wanted to smash the router with a sledgehammer! The first month we had it, never once did it ever time out. My bf is a very serious gamer and when the internet times out so much he cant even play a game. Anytime we tried to watch Netflix a thirty min show would take over an hr and a half to get through. We have had soo many techs come out and even the head honcho of the techs! They never found anything wrong or said it was fixed. Yesterday we received another new router that would fix the problem. About an hr after it was installed the time outs started again. I found this forum and turned off the ipv6 tonight. Really hoping this fixes our problem.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Cree_P68 - Two other things you can do for problems you describe -

1) In you compter network prferences change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (which is google)

2) clear your cookies & other internet history & reboot your computer.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Cree_P68,

Check out this article, it may help as well. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.