For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bustedmagnet's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 8:28 PM

Slow connection using Google, Facebook, and certain sites after recent upgrade

Hello, I'm brand new UVerse GigaPower user.

The transition to this new service hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped but I want to try to figure out this most annoying issue for now.

First of all, I'm using all of the default settings on the device provided by AT&T. The Motorola NVG589. On speedtest I'm getting the advertised speeds of 300/300 with a 15ms ping.

So the problem is, when I do a google search from chrome, it hangs there until it eventually times out and then I have to reload the page, after which the search results appear. Another example is in Gmail, sometimes the inital page is very slow to load, but it hangs forever when trying to open individual emails. Again, multiple page refreshes seem to fix this. 

Again, everything is default. I'm tempted to try to disable WIFI on the NVG589 and use my own router but hoping I can resolve it without going through that. 

Thanks!

PS. I'd like to add that youtube(google) is also unusable.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

"Troubleshoot and Resolve" is not useful for diagnosing common problems.  You cannot find any information regarding IPV6 problems or DNS problems, and nearly the first thing they ask you to do is to reset your gateway, without asking if the gateway has already been reset multiple times with no change in the underlying problem.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Soon after adding the google ipv6 dns addresses to my mac, I experienced a hang accessing www.google.com, so I think setting the ipv6 dns address is not a useful workaround.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I like http://ds.testmyipv6.com/ .  This seems to be able to reliably re-produce the hang in a controlled fashion and offers a reasonably authoritative-sounding explanation of the problem.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I cannot even put into words how simple of a fix this was.

I really only noticed this issue on both our home pc's and mac, but the issue was "really really really bad" and my wife talking about going back to the other *******

I tried 100 various things, gave up for a few months, then decided to type random search strings in Google

I knew it was something minute since the speedtests were on par.

Happy Customer Now 🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This fixed my issue.  Can't believe I've been having these freezing issues with att uverse with umpteen vitists by att uverse technicians, and simply disabiling IPv6 has taken care of the issue. Amazing.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This worked for me - thank you, thank you, thank you.  6 years of att uverse service calls to my home and over the phone and the fix was simplay to disable the Ipv6 setting.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

IPv6 hasn't been your issue for 6 years.  It's only been active for a year or two.

The details are that IPv6 is being tunneled by AT&T between your home and the IPv6 Internet.  This is causing some issues due to how IPv6 handles packet fragmentation.  There are other ways of fixing it, but turning it off is a perfectly reasonable fix.

Before IPv6 became active, you likely had other issues.  Hopefully those are fixed now.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I am about a week into using UVerse (switched from Brighthouse but about to switch back more than likely). Every since switching, I cannot view vides in Facebook from late afternoon to late evening. This does not occur in the early morning or after midnight. Three representatives I spoke to over the phone said it is because the way UVerse works is that in an apartment community, we all share a main box so if others are on the Internet in the community more than during off peak hours, I will be very limited bandwidth-wise (though my Internet speed will show the normal 18mbps). This the 5th day in a row that I have test this and I have a person coming out to the installation site tomorrow (to trouble shoot and potentially install a 2nd line???). This just seems unheard of and is amazing if it is specific only to UVerse type of installations (versus cable).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having exactly the same issue! Have you been able to resolve the problem?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

My solution to all of the slow loading or partical loading sites was to disable Ipv6 on the modem.  As soon as it was disabled, everything was back to normal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.