Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
fojaker's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sunday, January 31st, 2016 9:16 PM

NVG599 Bridge Mode Guidance

Hello,

I posted a question last week regarding some issues I've seen with the 599.  Specifically, what devices are connected to it at any given point in time.  While clearing the device list and scanning the device list may work for most, it didn't work for me.  In fact it took over an hour for any devices to first start appearing in the list.  Later in the day it showed an iPad connected via Ethernet.  Not sure how that can be.  It still tells me I have 3 Ethernet connections but only 2 have been in use for over a month.  Strange behavior all around with this router.  

I ended up receiving a new router from a friend - the Asus RT-3200.  I have the Gigapower service with the 599 using 4 STB and a DVR.  Those boxes are all however connected via coax.  I'd like to know if there is a step by step guide out there besides the one listed here.   There seemed to be a handful of users who had issues following those directions.  And would those directions be the same for the 599 with coax and Gigapower?  

Thanks for any help or guidance.  I'm hoping the success rate is high when people perform this task.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @fojaker,

The firmware is the same across all the NVG's, so the instructions will work on the NVG599. For the most advanced setup, we suggest following the instructions on that post. If you just need to use the ASUS router for browsing purposes or as an access point, you should be able to just connect the ASUS gateway to the NVG and make sure the ASUS is obtain an IP address automatically.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

-ATTU-verseCare

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

Keeping the STB and DVR on coax works just fine.

It also avoids any issues with ASUS handeling the the multicast IP and IGMP-proxy needed for IPTV 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Excellent.  Thanks all.  I'll be attempting this process over the weekend.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Not going good so far.  A rep that I spoke to told me that the directions here for bridge mode are incorrect.  After I set up the Subnets and DHCP the router was hung - wasn't able to get router settings to load.  I changed IPv4 start to 192.168.2.254 from 192.168.1.254.  I then changed DHCP v4 start from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.2.1 and the DHCP v4 end from 192.168.1.253 to 192.168.2.5

I called support and they attempted to put the router into passthrough mode.  For some reason the ip address of the passthrough is set to 107.201.x.x which is the WAN ip of the 599 I believe.  Now the rep is telling me that it could be ASUS's issue. 

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks.  

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

NVG599 and Asus will be sharing the same WAN IP this is normal since the NVG does have true transparent bridge mode. It is a kludge but works ok

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply rolfl.  The ASUS router however is showing a red status light for the WAN connection.  I've restarted and rebooted several times both routers to no avail.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Update.  I was able to get into the Asus router settings via 192.168.1.1 and sure enough the UI came up.  From there I was able set up the wifi networks and such.  The red WAN light turned white meaning a connection was present.  The ethernet port on the pc connected to the ASUS showed active but I was receieving dns errors when loading web pages.  That was fixed by editing the dns server address on the on the adapter settings.  Now the issue seems to be wifi.   I can see the networks I created but no device is able to connect to them.  When I do attempt to connect to them, the error on Windows is incorrect passkey and on Andriod devices it just hangs at the authentication portion.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

I think I'd double check your passkeys.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

The passkeys were triple checked.  Is the issue the ip addresses themselves?  I access the new router via 192.168.1.1 and the 599 via 192.168.1.254.  Device IPv4 Address is 192.168.1.254.  DHCPv4 Start Address is 192.168.2.1 and the DHCPv4 Start Address end is 192.168.1.253.  Under IP Passthrough Allocation mode is Passthrough, default server address is null, DHCPS-fixed is Passthrough Mode, my router MAC address is then listed.  I turned wifi off.

I can connect via ethernet to the new router and browse just fine after I changed the DNS entries to the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but nothing is able to connect via wi-fi. The SSID's are broadcasted out but no device can connect to them.  This is both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks. 

Thanks again.

fojaker

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Those darn passkeys.  That very well could have been the issue.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.