For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
DNSQ4BS's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 12:52 PM

Yahoo Website Not a Secure Connection - Message Rec'd in ALL Browswers Tried

I have tried to access my Bellsouth email address (through yahoo.com, as usual) but keep receiving a message saying that the connection is not secure. I have tried using Firefox, Chrome, and MS Edge - all give the same response. The message tells me to inform the owner of the website. I was finally able to access it, but then could not log off - kept receiving the same message. This has been going on since yesterday. On the few occasions I was able to get into my email, the icon indicating whether or not the connection was secure said that some items were "not secure on this page." What is going on?! I read that yahoo had been hacked. Does this have anything to do with that?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

I am pretty sure, Yahoo has not been hacked, any more than any other publicly accessed web site is.

Now, individual e-mail accounts get hacked all the time.

(sorry to say, yahoo's e-mail security bites. Just my opinion, but they have yet to prove me wrong.)

However, it is sounding more like you potentially have malware on your system, and need a good scanning program to detect and remove it.

A good one that is free that I like to use, is Nortons Power eraser https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx  to give your system a good root kit scan.

Another good one to try is TSA Adblock Removal. That can find and remove annoying toolbars and hidden adware that can also cause problems liike you are describing.

Good luck, hope you nail down your issues.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your help, but this ALSO happens on my husband's laptop, so it is not just a problem with my computer (our systems are not networked). And I can assure you that both systems are clean. We have the latest Norton Internet Security installed & keep it updated. I also routinely scan my system with Malwarebytes. This problem ONLY occurs with yahoo.com's login screen (https://login.yahoo.com/) - I can enter my user name, but when I click "next," instead of going to the next screen where I enter my p/w, I get the error message below. Earlier, I tried to log in and yahoo told me "Error: service temporarily unavailable." I have no issues logging into other secure sites (https) - I am pretty sure this is a problem with yahoo's email login page. Here is the error message my browser is giving me:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to login.yahoo.com. SSL peer reports incorrect Message Authentication Code. Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_ALERT
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Now I'm getting a new error message:

An error occurred during a connection to login.yahoo.com. Peer reports failure of signature verification or key exchange. Error code: SSL_ERROR_DECRYPT_ERROR_ALERT

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

@DNSQ4BS

Are you by chance connecting through the same router? Someone near you could be using a wifi sniffer to try to capture your information. Can you connect via ethernet cable to the modem and try again?

I just tried the secure site and had no problems. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your help! I did as you suggested and connected via the ethernet cable, directly to the modem (and turned off the wireless on the laptop). I was able to connect without a problem, BUT when logged out, instead of going to the normal screen, it returned the following error message (which is one of the same ones I had previously received):

"An error occurred during a connection to login.yahoo.com. Peer reports failure of signature verification or key exchange. Error code: SSL_ERROR_DECRYPT_ERROR_ALERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

My niece also just tried to log in via the ethernet and received one of the same error messages that I had previously received and mentioned above: ERR_SLL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT.

She was not able to log in to the email account though. I can occasionally log in after multiple tries, but always get an error message - either before logging in or after I log out.

Since the same thing happens while connected directly to the router, it doesn't look like a sniffer is picking up our wireless traffic and causing the problem. My router is secured with a very strong password (my son makes jokes about my long passwords) and is using WPA2-PSK(AES) encryption (wouldn't this prevent a wifi sniffer from intercepting our data?).

This is very frustrating, as we use that bellsouth account regularly. Up until a few days ago, I have never experienced a problem with it (unless you count the aggravating, flashing, and very annoying advertisements that yahoo includes in the email window!). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I have absolutely no idea what the problem is. Again, thank you for your help!!!

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

@DNSQ4BS WPA2-PSK(AES) is not hack proof. It does indeed make the cracking process more difficult, but not impossible. But its not as easy as WEP.

So I was thinking about this problem of yours, and I think I might know whats going on. This really sounds like its connecting through a proxy server first. Sometimes an anti-virus or internet securities program will set up a proxy on your computer so that all of the traffic will go through it first. With that being said, would it possible for you to try this? Reboot your computer, disable norton securities and any other protection program including any adblocker, then launch the browser of your choice and try to go straight to the AT&T Account log in page.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you so much for your continued efforts to try to help me - I really appreciate it! I have done as you suggested (disabled both Norton & AdBlock Plus), but I am getting the same results. I am able to log in after repeated attempts (the same error messages keep popping up); when I log off, I get the same error messages. It doesn't actually log me off - I have to go to yahoo.com and try several times to log off from there, before it actually logs me off. My niece has a Mac and uses a different internet security suite - she gets the same messages as I do (whether she's connected wirelessly or plugged directly in through the ethernet). The yahoo login site is the only one that behaves this way. I can log in to my gmail account and all of the other secure sites that I normally do, without a problem. This issue with my AT&T email just recently started - I've been logging on issue-free for several years. One more thing - I occasionally get the message "Error: service temporarily unavailable" on the AT&T log in screen after I enter my user name and click next (before it asks for my p/w). My niece also received this message on her Mac when she tried. Am I the *only* one who is having this issue? I haven't changed anything to my system, my router, etc. I am fairly computer-savvy, but am at a loss here 😞

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

@DNSQ4BS

So since your original post we have discovered intermittent issues with the ATT log in page. It's the exact same type of error, but I wonder if it's because of that. So what if you use the https://mail.yahoo.com page with your AT&T account?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I tried twice to respond to your post last month, but neither went through. I thought I'd try one last time. Thank you for your continued input on this issue. A few days after your last post I was able to access my email without any problems, so apparently AT&T has corrected the issue. I was pretty sure from the get-go that the problem was not on my end 🙂  Thank you again for your help.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I log into Bellsouth.net thru ATT's connection on Yahoo.com.

I am receiving today for the first time a message "secure connection failes' on my Firefox browser.

Tried reboots, different computers etc and same message

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.