Protect yourself online
JohnnyBurbank's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, November 23rd, 2015 11:26 PM

Why isn't wildcard spam filtering supported?

I've had this influx of Spam emails recently.  I mark every one of them and they keep showing up.  Clearly it's because Yahoo only marks that specific From email as spam and can't learn the pattern that this particular spammer is using.  The pattern I've noticed these emails coming from is "no-reply@****.ro"; all Romanian sites but never the same domain name, so the Spam button is pointless because the domains are never the same.  I searched around and read that Yahoo spam filter doesn't support wildcards and tested it to confirm.  Why is this not supported?  My problem would be solved by being able to spam filter emails from "no-reply@*.ro".  Why can't I do this?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

actually, they can and do. (called spamguard.)

But I am not entirly familiar with the format. Do know you can set it for subject, etc.

You can find it using the help files, I'm sure.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Actually, they can't and don't cover the case I specifically ask about in my post.  If you google "yahoo spamguard", the first link that comes up says that yahoo spamguard is when you hit the "Spam" button while an email is selected.  As I said in my post, I've done that ad nauseum to this series of spam emails, but all it does is block each specific email address, and the emails keep coming.  The spammer I keep receiving emails from changes their email and domain every time (and of course they change the subject line too so I can't filter on that).

Now there is, in fact, a section in Yahoo mail under Settings/Filters where you can specify From/To/Subject as "contains" or "begins with" or "ends with" certain words (ie. not the true wildcard asterisk character).  But that doesn't help me when the part that changes is in the *middle* (ie. like a true wildcard would cover).  Alternatively, If they allowed us to say the From field "begins with" "no-reply" *and* "ends with" ".ro" then maybe we'd be in business.  But they don't allow you to specify *two* "From" rules.  So the question still stands.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.