Protect yourself online
nporcaro's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 12th, 2015 10:31 PM

Verifying Email Addresses

I just switched ISP's to AT&T U-Verse and I'm trying to set up my email.

99.9% of the email I send is from my business email address and I'm trying to get that email address verified so I can send business email from my email client (Thunderbird).

I know how to have it verified through the email set up screens at att.net and when I do AT&T sends me an email to verify the account. So far so good.

But when I click on the link they provide in the email I get this error: 

The system is experiencing some problems, please try again in a few minutes. (Error: #77231)

It's been like this since mid-day Friday. I spoke with someone at AT&T on Friday and they said they were having server problems and that it would be fixed within 72 hours.

Seems like a looooong time for such a big company to be having server problems, but ok I'll wait. But now 72 hours have passed and it's still not working. 

Has anyone seen this? Is there truly a server problem on their end, or is it just broken? Any workaround?

Heeeeelp!!!!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Has anyone else seen this problem? I don't know what else to try. AT&T has been so unhelpful.

I talked to them for over an hour this morning and eventually transferred me to some guy who took control of my computer and was trying to tell me that my 'network' had been compromised and that was the problem. He was trying to scam me into paying to 'fix' my brand new computer. what the heck happened to AT&T?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

This is happening to me too. I have 3 old mailboxes that do successfully foward. But after creating 4 new ones recently, I am unable to forward as the verification link fails. I too was transferred to a 3rd party whose only goal was to trick me into buying a service. I have no idea what AT&T is doing with support.

I do know that this issue on the Yahoo side. FYI, AT&T uses Yahoo mail as their mail platform. The verification email comes from Yahoo and the error page is a Yahoo page. There is nothing  AT&T can do to fix the issue. Apparently, they have no escalation process for sending an issue like this to Yahoo for resolution. I've contacted Yahoo directly and they told me that they could not help because I am a AT&T customer. They said I have to go through AT&T.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Nice to know I'm not the only one. And your post actually gives me a glimmer of hope only in that at some point this verification process must have worked if you have 3 old mailboxes that work. Hopefully it'll fix itself at some point.

We just switched our internet from Earthlink to AT&T and while I love the speed, AT&T's service is beyond bad. Much worse than I ever expected it could possibly be. No one on knows anything and just reads from their script. I figured this was probably a Yahoo issue, but of course Yahoo won't talk to AT&T customers. And when I tell the yoyou from AT&T that it may be a problem on Yahoo's side, they start asking me if I've opened any suspicious emails because there are bad people out there. Seriously maddening.

On the bright side, the last person I spoke with did say she was escalating the issue and would be back with me in 48 hours. Not holding my breath though...

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

When trying to verify my Gmail address through the hyperlink found in the e-mail message sent to my Gmail account, I receive the following error, even though I am signed into my AT&T/Yahoo! account:

"The system is experiencing some problems, please try again in a few minutes. (Error: #77231)."

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Here are the folks whose job it is, to help those with e-mail related problems. I say, this is their job, so by all means, put them to work.

IF you are an active ATT customer, try the following number: AT&T's web support line @ 1-877-312-5550, we had other users report good results with them in the past.

if you are NOT an active ATT customer (account in "free" status) then you will have to go thru one of the care teams.

Pick one of there care team links (any will work) and send a message with your name, account, phone, contact email, best time to connect with you, and a message with your needs. Give them a couple days or so to get back with you, and I hope they can help.

U-verse problems, ATTU-verseCare.
Cellular Problems, ATTMobilityCare.
Billing/other problems ATTCustomerCare
Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.

Good luck

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, but contacting ATTU-verseCare on this matter has been the worst form of mental anguish I could have wrought upon myself. I've worked in levels one, two, and three technical support, and these people clearly have zero idea about what they're doing. In their responses, they give very little instruction. At one point, they recommended that I create a brand-new forum account, even though that has absolutely nothing to do with my e-mail account! I would very much doubt that they have an internal knowledge base, and one representative even told me that the error codes are very generic. I basically have to do all of the real troubleshooting and try to educate them. Their inane, private-messaging system does not allow very well for keeping context together on an issue, and they have even muddled together several of my separate issues. Shouldn't a company as large as AT&T have a ticketing system for these sorts of things?

@nporcaro was right: "AT&T's service is beyond bad. Much worse than I ever expected it could possibly be. No one... knows anything and just reads from their script. I figured this was probably a Yahoo issue, but of course Yahoo won't talk to AT&T customers."

As was @ursapooh: "The verification email comes from Yahoo and the error page is a Yahoo page. There is nothing AT&T can do to fix the issue." The representative with whom I spoke actually told me this! "Apparently, they have no escalation process for sending an issue like this to Yahoo for resolution."

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the same issue trying to verify my gmail account as well.  You are correct, the mental anguish is the worst and dealing with this issue has left me baffled.  We started with adding AT&T internet and land line to bundle with our direcTv, keeping our original number.  what a hassle.  Starting with an installer who showed up without his ID Badge hanging on his neck and no vest.  They had to access equipment in a neighbors yard and when that neighbor didn't answer the door and the gate was locked, he just jumped the fence.  Another neighbor saw him and called the cops, then he came back to our house and asked if we knew how to contact the neighbor and that the install would have to be rescheduled.  Really?  Why can't they handle getting access to their own equipment

Next day another installer shows up, this time the guy is wearing a safety vest and proper ID, he was really nice, but the people at AT&T did not "port" my home phone number, rather they just gave us a new one, so that had to be put on hold for a week.  AT&T had no problem trying to charge us for this phone number that we did not want.  20 minutes on the phone with the incompetent people just to get that straightened out.  I am so fed up with them, I'm almost tempted to go back to comcast.  

Try calling yahoo and they don't take phone calls anymore, you must report it online.  Try reporting online and you get kicked back to AT&T, who then says there is nothing they can do... contact YAHOO.  What a joke! And my gmail account still is not "verified"

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Tried calling the number provided.... again spinning my wheels.  I asked to speak with a manager... was told to hold that I would get to speak with them... then told the manager was in a meeting.  Asked for a call back, not holding my breath.  Then they wanted to send me to tech support.  Told her noone at tech support can help me.  I am not cleaning my cookies and rebooting again.  NIGHTMARE dealing with these people and they really don't seem to care.

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

8 years ago

Same issue here. Calling AT&T was a nightmare and a joke. They had no clue what I was even speaking of, and when I explained it, they said, they could send me to escalations because they have heard all day people have been having issues with it. I have a free Yahoo account and an AT&T account. My free Yahoo account, will let me verify and add and delete emails with no issues. Clearly this means it is on AT&T's side. However, I just found a work around for deleting emails, since it would not even let me do that, but verification is not happening. Maybe in a year they will get it right, since it has been a long time since this has started! I am a new Uverse customer, and I am pretty worried with already having this issue and my TV went out the next day after install!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Same issue, Had to get ATT crapnet after moving from Dallas and a 300Mb line to the sticks in Missouri in November '15 still can't verify any of my emails, @gmail.com @aol.com @aim.com @outlook.com @msn.com @hotmail.com @facebook.com @yahoo.com and even my yahoo alias @yahoo.com. I can't even verify my ATT phone number with ATT/Yahoo fail mail. Seeing as this has been going on for over a year they aren't even remotely interested in fixing it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.