Protect yourself online
teffertoes's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 11:25 PM

Unmerging Yahoo & AT&T email accounts

It appears my Yahoo email account has been hacked. When I went in to change the password, it told me I had to change it via my merged AT&T account. Well, I haven't had AT&T for a couple of years and never unmerged that account from Yahoo after I left, apparently. When I try to go in with my former AT&T account, I initially get in and it says:

"We're sorry, the AT&T sevice you are attempting to access is not available using the login information you provided.
To continue, please select the login button for one of the services below."

I then get sent to the initial login for the AT&T account manager, but I can't login because I haven't been with AT&T for at least a year to 2 years. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to abandon my Yahoo account because I have too many things associated with it.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Deleting sub accounts worked!!  Thank you very much!!!!

I am really really disappointed that AT&T made this so difficult.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you!!! This actually worked..... Ive been trying to deal with ATT a few times over the course of a couple months and was beyond frustrated with them!!!   Sorry happy to have found your help!!! Hope this stops someone from spamming my account.

I kills me that att cant just tell people this.... So glad I dont have any of there services anymore!!!!!

Thank you usafa92!!!!!!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

No problem. Glad to be of help.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thank you for your help!!

Same thing happened to me except I used to have sbcglobal.net account.

The problem was I could not log in to att.com account as usafa92 suggested. I tried to contact Alex and another person gave me this phone number 877-312-5550.

After only (?) one transfer, tech guy helped me to log in att.com account (he made arrangement to do *****@sbcglobal.net as user ID and gave me temporal password). He told me he can't help to unmerge, but after being able to log in att.com account and follow usafe92's instruction, finally say goodbye to att (sbcglobal) net account!!

Hope it will help some others!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

that link to remove your account no longer seems to be there....at least not for a subaccount person. It shows me active and everything is there but the link to remove/discontinue the account!!!! I did get someone to help me with a link to change my password as someone had hacked it to and was sending spam... sounds like a common occurence with these linked accounts!!! Does't make me want to go to AT&T for service!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi,

I tried your steps however it did not work for my account. Do you have any other ideas? I do not have a subaccount. I deleted my account twice now and still yahoo keeps thinking that my account is still active and merged.

Thank you

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I had a similar problem -- long time DSL customer w/merged Yahoo ID, canceled DSL service and accounts wouldn't "unmerge".

I tried using recommended method above -- i.e. deleting xxxx@sbcglobal.net email from AT&T profile; after doing this, logging into my Yahoo account brought be to the "Unmerge" page explaining what would happen to my free Yahoo ID after I clicked the "unmerge" button.  Great, right? BUT ... that kept giving me an error ("cannot process your request at this time"), I couldn't get past that "unmerge" page,  and I was locked out of my email!  Couldn't get my email anywhere (phone, computer, etc.). Aaargh!

After 1.5 hours of frustrating convo with AT&T "tech help" (including "Tier 2" tech support), being told "we can't help", "not our problem", "so you want to change your password?", I sent a private message to one of the Community Managers (ATTAlexCM) on these forums (http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276) ... supposedly ATTAlexCM had helped another user with a "stuck" unmerge.  This was last Friday (Oct 26), right before Hurricane Sandy was going to hit the East Coast.  I figured I didn't have a prayer of getting this resolved anytime soon.  Boy was I wrong! 

I got a PM from another AT&T Community Manager on Saturday morning telling me I had been referred to someone else and they would call me (Yeah, right! I was thinking).  They called me on Sunday night (twice!) in the middle of the hurricane -- twice! (I guess AT&T tech support is in Texas).  Then I got a follow up call Monday and another call on Tuesday; on Tuesday I was told it should be resolved by Wednesday (10/31) -- and it was!  I got another call on Wednesday afternoon and was told Yahoo had "unstuck" the "unmerge", haha.  Lo and behold when I tried to log in again to Yahoo I got the same "Unmerge" page with the "Unmerge" button; this time it worked!  My Yahoo account had been freed!

Posting this for anyone having problem with "unmerging" going forward.  Don't let AT&T customer "support" tell you this "can't be done" or "this isn't our problem."  This is a *known* issue with a *known* fix -- AT&T knows who to contact at Yahoo to get this resolved.  You just have to find the right person to help you! 

Oh and a big SHOUT OUT and KUDOS and THANKS to those at AT&T that did help me -- thanks guys!

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

Ya know, I've wo-ndered for years why AT&T bought Yahoo in the first place. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same issue.  I cannot unmerge my accounts and there is no delete e-mail link next to my snet.net e-mail.  I need help with this!!  AT&T on the phone has not been able to provide any answers.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same problem that many people on these boards are having.  I am trying to unmerge my yahoo mail account from my old snet.net account.  I have had my yahoo account for many years before I signed up for SBC DSL service.  I have moved and cancelled my SBC DSL in 2008, but my accounts are still linked. I am now trying to unmerge them and am not having any luck.  The solution that everyone has given 

(http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB400610&cv=804,749,1001,902,102,8001~804&ct=&source=email_share#fbid=SWpD9t83l4U) does not work, because I do not have the "delete e-mail" option next to my snet.net address.  All I have is "check e-mail."  I have done the live chat with AT&T and was also on the phone last night for over an hour with two different customer service agents who were no help.   It should not be this difficult.  I just want the AT&T portion deleted as I no longer pay for or have DSL service.  

Someone please help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.