Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 20, 2013
9:35:39 PM
View profile
Receiving Someone Else's Email

I have an sbcglobal.net email address and recently have been receiving a few emails addressed to someone with an msn.com email address - always the same address, but TOTALLY different address than mine, nothing even close to being identical. 

The emails appear to be legitimate ones, not from individuals. Some from Hotmail Calendar for their reminders. Some from Facebook suggesting they may know people that they might want to add as FB Friends and I think awhile back I even received one from Walgreen's about a prescription ready for refill.

How can I receive an msn.com email in my sbcglobal.net email? I have run, and do run weekly, antivirus & malware security scans and computer is clean, so don't think I've been hacked.  This started about 2 months ago, and have only received 5 or 6 emails - but they are always addressed to the same msn.com email address.

Any idea how this is happening?

Thanks.

I have an sbcglobal.net email address and recently have been receiving a few emails addressed to someone with an msn.com email address - always the same address, but TOTALLY different address than mine, nothing even close to being identical. 

The emails appear to be legitimate ones, not from individuals. Some from Hotmail Calendar for their reminders. Some from Facebook suggesting they may know people that they might want to add as FB Friends and I think awhile back I even received one from Walgreen's about a prescription ready for refill.

How can I receive an msn.com email in my sbcglobal.net email? I have run, and do run weekly, antivirus & malware security scans and computer is clean, so don't think I've been hacked.  This started about 2 months ago, and have only received 5 or 6 emails - but they are always addressed to the same msn.com email address.

Any idea how this is happening?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Receiving Someone Else's Email

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 21, 2013 10:02:25 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Windey,

Welcome to the forum, while I'm not sure how you are receiving these emails you could simply block them and mark it as spam. Also please follow the link below to verify that your account hasn't been compromised.

My AT&T email account may have been hacked, phished, or compromised

James

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Windey,

Welcome to the forum, while I'm not sure how you are receiving these emails you could simply block them and mark it as spam. Also please follow the link below to verify that your account hasn't been compromised.

My AT&T email account may have been hacked, phished, or compromised

James

Re: Receiving Someone Else's Email

2 of 3 (328 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2013 8:58:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

My computer is free of malware and virus. I have blocked the "Facebook" address and "Outlook Calendar" address. When reading FULL HEADERS on the emails I receive, it appears to me that somehow the emails are being sent or forwarded to me from this person with an MSN email address. However, the "from" email address is that of Facebook and Outlook Calendars when I receive them - and the "to" email address when opening the email is to xxxx@msn.com, but are coming into my sbcglobal email. I have to look carefully at all my mail to be sure it's not something with that person's name on it, so I don't click on a link that would cause me harm. I then also blocked the xxxx@msn.com address and after that, I received an email for this person again, but from a company I've never heard of. I did a search for this person on Facebook, and they do have an account there. I do not have a Facebook account there with the email address that I'm receiving these from. Just from the information within these emails, it is my guess this person is not located in the USA. Is it possible to notify MSN about this person to get this stopped? If so, how? I don't receive a lot of mail like this, but need to be sure my email address hasn't been compromised. I recently had changed my password. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

My computer is free of malware and virus. I have blocked the "Facebook" address and "Outlook Calendar" address. When reading FULL HEADERS on the emails I receive, it appears to me that somehow the emails are being sent or forwarded to me from this person with an MSN email address. However, the "from" email address is that of Facebook and Outlook Calendars when I receive them - and the "to" email address when opening the email is to xxxx@msn.com, but are coming into my sbcglobal email. I have to look carefully at all my mail to be sure it's not something with that person's name on it, so I don't click on a link that would cause me harm. I then also blocked the xxxx@msn.com address and after that, I received an email for this person again, but from a company I've never heard of. I did a search for this person on Facebook, and they do have an account there. I do not have a Facebook account there with the email address that I'm receiving these from. Just from the information within these emails, it is my guess this person is not located in the USA. Is it possible to notify MSN about this person to get this stopped? If so, how? I don't receive a lot of mail like this, but need to be sure my email address hasn't been compromised. I recently had changed my password. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Receiving Someone Else's Email

3 of 3 (291 Views)