Protect yourself online
klusignolo's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011 8:19 PM

Motorola 2210-02-1att Modem possible toubleshooting help?

I recently signed up for the 3mbps Uverse High Speed internet. My problem is that I'm only recieving and average of .15 mbps. I've already made sure that the signal is not the problem because I've placed my modem and router in an optimal location. I think the problem is something to do with the modem, but I could be wrong there. I connected directly to the modem and looked up the statistics. However, I'm no professional on how to read them, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me input. Here they are:

To Modem     To Internet
Data Rate (kbps)           224                  256
SNR Margin (dB)           1.0                    7.0
Line Attenuation (dB)    63.5                 31.5
Output power (dBm)     11.7                 11.9
Loss of signal                0                       9996
Loss of frame                0                       0
CRC Errors                    50360              221

The things that stand out to me the most are the Loss of signal and the CRC errors. Those both seem like higher than normal numbers. Although, I'm not exactly sure what the 'normal' numbers look like. I'd appreciate any feedback. Let me know if you need more info!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

The SNR Margin showing 1.0dB downstream and 7.0dB upstream is a real problem here. The Signal Noise Ratio Margin should NEVER be under 6.0dB either direction because the DSL signal becomes unstable. Things that cause the SNR to be low:
incorrectly filtered phones
damaged data cables
data cables that are longer than 10-15ft
alarms systems that are not filtered correctly
distance issues (as in you're too far from the CO/DSLAM for the DSL speed you subscribe to)
Defective Modems

The other thing I would pay attention to is your Line Attenuation. For a 3.0Meg connection, this value should not be more than about 55dB. The attenuation is the measure of the signal strength at your modem as opposed to the strength at the CO/DSLAM. Yours being measured at 63.5dB downstream indicates that you might be slightly too far for 3.0Meg DSL service. What I would recommend in this case would be to completely ISOLATE the Motorola on the DSL line (unplug EVERYTHING from EVERY phone jack in your home, including filters.) Only have the modem directly connected to your regular DSL jack without a filter and using a cable that is less than 15ft long. Then get back to the page where you recorded the diagnostics you posted. If the SNR Margin isn't above 6.0dB and the Attenuation isn't below 55.0dB you've got one of two things going on. Either that modem is defective or you're too far for 3.0Meg service. You can either purchase a new modem or call into AT&T to "remediate" your DSL speed to something like 1.5Megs (possibly as low as 768K). If you have any more questions that a call into the help desk can't answer, ask for "Tier 2" technical support. Hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

This helps tremendously! I'll look into it. Thank you so much for your feedback! 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Your note on interpreting the statistics on this modem was very useful.  Can you point me to any document that provides an explanantion of the full Technician Readout that can be generated from this modem?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.