For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
brollans's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, July 24th, 2016 4:35 PM

Macbook Pro, Outlook 2011 Email Set up

I have Outlook 2011 set up on my Mac.  What are the email settings? 

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

They should be the same reguardless of the mail client you use:

this link should have the correct settings:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523

As far as I know, these are the currant mail client links.

Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

These new incoming/outgoing server names don't work.  Now the old yahoo based ones don't work either.  When I call AT&T they start every conversation with wanting to manage my expectations.  Is it possible that I won't be able to use my 2011 Outlook for Mac to access my AT&T email anymore?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Outlook 2011 should work fine on your Mac.  I have an Outlook 2011 laying around on my 10.6.7 Snow Leopard Mac (don't use it, I prefer Thunderbird) just for answering questions like this.  There's probably something wrong with your settings even if you think they are correct (it's easy to miss or miss-read setting entries like check boxes).

• First verify your login info by making sure you can log into the webmail with your browser.  Go to start.att.net, click the mail icon in the upper right, and log in.  Doing this test verifies the login info without yet involving your email client app (Outlook in your case).  If you can't log in there's no sense going further.  You need to find out whats wrong with your login info first.
  • If the account (email) and password are correct and working in the webmail then those should be what you enter in the Outlook settings for that account.  Remember passwords are case sensitive.
  • For the other server settings in Outlook compare with the settings specified here.   I rarely ever recommend using the yahoo settings (here for pop, here for imap). since they are not the ones ATT specifies and IMO there's no guarantee the yahoo settings will last forever for ATT users.  But they sometimes may work for legacy accounts or merged accounts. Possible settings that could be easily missed or set wrong are the  incoming port and "Use SSL..." checkbox which should be checked, and the Outgoing server port (465).  Also check the checkboxes underneath, i.e., override default port and or course "Use SSL...".
  • Advanced settings don't need to be changed unless you want to leave the messages on the server which I assume you should set of IMAP (I set up for POP).  Hopefully the security certificates are not a problem.  I have none selected.

With the correct settings I would expect Outlook to work for you.  But OS X versions beyond Snow Leopard are more "obsessed" with caching preferences.  I believe this could lead to problems when screwing around with preferences.  So perhaps rebooting (or logging out and back in) will clear the settings cache and force it to get the current ones from Outlooks preferences.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.