For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
brianh526's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 1:00 AM

Internet Connectivity Issues

I'm on my second NVG589 RG.  It's been a month since my older gateway was replaced and I've had internet connectivity issues ever since.  RG system log has multiple messages daily similar to below:

2015-05-26T12:15:00-05:00 L3 dnsmasq[1342]: no responses from nameserver '99.99.99.153'
2015-05-26T12:15:32-05:00 L3 dnsmasq[1342]: nameserver '99.99.99.153' is now responding
2015-0

Problems have been no connectivity and extreme slowness when loading pages.  I've had AT&T out to check the line (no problems).  I asked for a new modem thinking that would solve the problem.  I'm now wishing I had my old gateway back.  A couple more data points:

1. Problems occur on wireless and hardwire connections
  2. We use MAC's, Macbook's and iPhone's
  3. I've rebooted the RG multiple times (this has not helped)
  4. Nothing else has changed in my environment other than the RG upgrade
  5. Uverse TV service has not been affected

Looking for suggestions before I consider the dreaded Charter Communications solution.

Any suggestions?

Brian 

St. Louis, MO

Guru

• 

498 Messages

9 years ago

Try a different, non-ATT nameserver?  Use 8.8.8.8 and see if it helps.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I've wanted to do that but it looks like ATT has DNS servers locked in. No way to change them.

Guru

• 

498 Messages

9 years ago

You can change DNS server in the iOS network settings on the Mac, at least.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203244

See if that makes a difference.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I've added new (non-ATT) primary and secondary DNS servers via the iMAC Network Preferences.  I'll monitor for the next few days and get back.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Well after several weeks of continuous problems I've decided to bring in Charter for Internet Service.  The DNS changes did not improve my situation.  The RG still shows multiple DNS error messages.  I still have unexplained "pauses" while browsing the internet.  Hopefully the new Internet provider will be a change for the better.  Not sure if I need to keep Uverse Internet for TV at this point in time.  We will see.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

UPDATE - 

Charter Internet was installed on July 3.  Pretty straightforward install of a Cisco DPC3216 cable modem.  The technician direct wired the Cat5 cable into my IMAC and ran the ookla speed test.  Over 100 Mbit/sec throughput.  After the technician left and I started work on connecting an old Linksys WRT54G wireless router.  That was a mistake...after several hours of really bizarre router behavior and troubleshooting, I began wondering if Charter somehow "Blocked" customer owned routers.  After a brief call to Customer Support, they told me that the "G" in WRT54G has a theoretical limit of 54 Mbit/sec and I should be using a router that supports wireless "N".  

The next day I bought an ASUS Wireless N router, hooked it up and Bingo - full 100Mbit/sec speed throughout my home network.  This is now day 3 and no more "pauses" while surfing, no more DNS server issues (I can control that in my router now), even apps load amazingly fast on our iPhones.

I still have ATT internet service, Uverse TV, ATT Land Line, and ATT Wireless (5 Iphones).  I'm not sure what ATT is going to say when I call to cancel Internet only.  I expect to have to keep their Motorola RG.  I'll update everyone after I talk to ATT.  Too bad it had to come to this.  Wish me luck.

Brian

See attached speed tests

ATT.jpg

ookla.jpg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Update -

Called AT&T and was able cancel my internet service ($57mo for 30mb). No impact to my ATT land line service. No impact to Uverse TV. Still enjoying the 100mbit charter service and have had no issues.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.